The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Mr_Flanders

Mr_Flanders Forum Resident

I feel like I’m starting to notice a pattern with your listening lately…

KCWhistle, notesofachord and SlimLee like this.
  2. Eyes74

Eyes74 Abstractor of the Quintessence

Second set of 9/28/76 (DiP 20) :edthumbs:
    Just love those 76 Wheels and Comes A Time.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2022
  3. :

Another great October Dead Concert was most certainly :

10-21-71, Chicago

Like, WoW! They are all highlights. Especially liked:

Kicks off the start with Truckin’

A great , short, Playing In the Band

Top shelf Comes A Time

1+ Sat Night smokes!........

.....as does Johnny B. Goode.

Absolute killer is Dark Star > Sittin’ On Top of the World > Dark Star.
    The latter part of Top of the World (2:00) straight through the > 2nd part Dark Star rules.

Here is that concert, below:

[​IMG]

4. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Is 5/22/77 the only time that they segued directly into the middle of Terrapin Station, rather than playing the full suite?

I am thinking no, but I can’t recall any other instances.

Where the experts at?

5. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

This evening’s listening is Paramount Theatre, Portland, OR, 02/10/77.

Whoa … I’ve waited way too long to hear this one. I’m not sure why, as I’ve heard everything around these PNW dates, and love it. There’s an intensity to the Dead’s playing here, a feature of that harder, more aggressive Fall ‘77 sound.

The show opens with a bust-out of Casey Jones, not played since ‘74, which features an exceptional mid-jam as Jerry seemingly forgets the words and the band forget how the songs goes, so they jam the f u c k out of it … back on track, they then hammer it home with a loud and wild, hard-driven climax—it’s awesome and unique, and it may well be the best-ever version. Well actually, there is another wicked all-timer from the same tour, at the end of the month in Kansas, which I think rocks even harder. Anyway, both are great. If you’ve not heard either, I highly recommend; an incessantly pounding Jack Straw is a jacked-up and muscular beefcake—a total banger; the 1st set also sees another bust-out—not seen since 1969, Dupree is back! It’s been given that thumpin’, rockin’ ‘77 sound; a magnificent, impassioned Let It Grow foams and seethes with blazin’ hot Spanish-esque Jam(ming) and a huge Lazy Lightning-like tease; then, a blistering Deal scorches, and closes the set in rollicking fashion.

A roaring Samson rips open the 2nd set and absolutely slays; a transcendent Scarlet > Fire is effortlessly free-flowing and melodic with a silky smooth transition jam that is fresh and funky—then Jerry lights a fire as he switches his Mu-Tron to devastate-mode, bringing the mountain to its knees. A hidden gem, one of the best of the year. I know. This is the s h i t!; post-Drums is flat-out great—a stunningly beautiful The Wheel comes rolling out and into; a swingin’ Truckin’ that ramps up insanity levels until it reaches pure out-of-control mayhem—I love these crazy and unhinged Fall ‘77 versions—with a huge and booming outro jam that somehow rumbles into TOO, which for the first few minutes is spacey and exploratory, before a roll and crack … then it brings the thunder crashing down; an almost gentle and serene Wharf Rat with heady jamming follows; before a raging Sugar Magnolia barrels through, bringing the show to a thrilling conclusion; with everything turned up to eleven, a heavy-rockin’ Johnny B. Goode encore sends things into overdrive.

Soo good. This, and the preceding night are surely on the list for a future Pick (or better still, a box of this four-date PNW tour).

I: Casey Jones, Jack Straw, Sunrise, Brown-Eyed Women, El Paso, Dupree’s Diamond Blues, Let It Grow, Deal.

II: Samson And Delilah, Scarlet Begonias > Fire On The Mountain, Playing In The Band > Drums > The Wheel > Truckin’ > The Other One > Wharf Rat > Sugar Magnolia.

E: Johnny B. Goode.

6. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

Well they never played the full suite, but yes 5/22/77 was the only time they went straight to the "Terrapin Station" portion (starts with "Inspiration move me brightly") without "Lady With a Fan."

7. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

Elvis Costello played a bunch of the Garcia/Hunter tunes at Hardly Strictly Sat as well, though it was a shorter set.

Hopefully there are better clips, but here he is playing Alligator Friday night at GAMH. @ 9:30

8. KeithGodchaux

KeithGodchaux Not To Be Taken Away

Agree. In my mind TMNS is one of those tunes that took some time to develop onstage and it really began to hit stride in a couple of places in the Fall of '77 and on through '78. I did read an article, however, citing One From The Vault as "the" definitive version. Not sure I'm on-board with that, but I need to give it a relisten.

9. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto Voodoo all night long

My vote goes to 5/9/77, easily.

10. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I relistened to the 1FTV version too. I don't think it's the most fiery version but it is one some of the fans probably listened to a lot between the bootleg and the official release, so for some it may be "definitive." It does have more of a studio album feel to it than most other versions which is cool in a way.

11. KeithGodchaux

Agree, excellent. For another one, check out the time slot between 3:20 - 5:20 on 4/24/78, Normal IL (what I like to call Back to Normal with the Grateful Dead). Dave's Picks Vol 7. It's literally the 2 minutes of Grateful Dead that made me realize I needed to have all of their releases to ensure I don't miss something important.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2022
  12. KeithGodchaux

Kiss had me at 5 yrs old in '77. I spent entire days listening to all of their records. Then I broght home Dynasty in 1979 I knew something was wrong. Definitely not the same band I had been listening to the past couple of years.

13. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Not an expert / but yes it is:)

bzfgt and US Blues like this.
  14. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

So far 5/9/77 and 4/24/78 are the two best Music versions that I've found. Lots of great ones in that May 1977 to April 1978 time span though.

15. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Huh? Not one word about the spacious Playing In The Band? ;)

I am glad you gave this show a listen, this is a good one! A Betty Board that came into circulation contemporaneously with the May shows from '77 and all the fabulous April '78 Betty's.

16. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Back in cassette days this show was often labelled Normal State '78.

17. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Some years ago now, I had a manager at work who was extremely irritating, believed in angels and used to say things were "phantasmagorical".

However, phantasmagorical is the word I must use to describe 21 November '73 in Denver, aka Segue City. That second set is darn near incredible. I hadn't really considered this as the next Playing sandwich after 11 and 17 November but that's what it is - they just changed the recipe and I think this may top 17 November's...though I know that's quite a call. The hidden Star is a lovely secret about this second set too.

I listened via Road Trips 4.3 and I noticed I wasn't as bothered by a fast running tape. Perhaps I was enjoying the music too much to notice...or perhaps this one is a little closer to concert pitch than some of the others.
    ...and I love '76 Scarlets.

18. outrolado

outrolado Forum Resident

Still one of the best of all 36 volumes. You'll never find a version of Help>Slip>Franklins that tops this one. Swagger, tight, dark, precise.

19. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

View attachment 426357
    I’m like Latvala in regards to preferring fall ‘77 to the spring tour.

02C098AF-7E85-4926-90C4-FCD45B212A68.jpeg

20. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

21. Eyes74

9/27/76 (Rochester) first set this morning. Fall 76 has some fantastic music. Lovin' this LL>Supplication transition jam :cool::cool::cool:

Edit: this Second Set is ridiculously funky :wiggle:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2022
  22. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

To quote SJR a few posts back “Soo good. This, and the preceding night are surely on the list for a future Pick (or better still, a box of this four-date PNW tour).”

:righton:

23. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

JerBear looking pretty svelte.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  24. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Interesting. If this is where he is at in his middle aged years then Im all for it.

Crispy Rob and US Blues like this.
  25. Eyes74

9/27/76: Help>Slip>Drums>TOO>Wharf Rat>Slip>Frank>A&A :D:D:D