SACD - Are you surprised at the format's recent resurgence?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by soundboy, Jul 19, 2011.

1. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

I sincerely hope so.

I think SACDs, for me as a fan of physical media, are the best of all worlds right now.

But, If I were a betting man, I'd have to go with "no"...

After the Mo-Fi debacle, what I saw from the cheap seats is that a large part of the "audiophile" community is composed of straight-up "analogphiles."

Sure, the sound quality is important, but so is the LP as an "object." I think the LP as "AAA" itself became this sacred or holy object more so than what the actual grooves produced.

GregM, Adam6437, JeffMo and 7 others like this.
  2. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member Thread Starter

With Sony's purchase of Springsteen's catalog and recordings, I am hoping Sony will put his catalog on SACD.

3. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

You can feel sorry for my purse! ;) Some great new titles for sure and for those who find the boxed 45 rpm lps too much a cheaper quality alternative.

layman and PATB like this.
  4. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Yep, there are plenty of high-profile SACDs that have been coming out, or announced to come out, in the last couple of years.

I've also been dipping more and more into Japan SACD releases and enjoying those a lot.

Shvartze Shabbos, layman and Jarleboy like this.
  5. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

That is awesome. I have heard a few Japanese Steely Dan SACD releases. Unlike most SACDs, I did not like Countdown or Preztel (they sounded like they came from multiple generation tapes). I hope that AP does a good job and based on their track record, they will.

6. originalsnuffy

I would really like to see a reissue of Romantic Warrior (Return to Forever).

Also:

Another Green World (Brian Eno)

Beatles (especially the mid and later period)(yes its cliche)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2022
  7. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Iconoclassic said they are putting out their first SACD as well, although it's not yet clear if that will be later this year or some time next year.

ispace and Jarleboy like this.
  8. originalsnuffy

This. I noticed quite a few LPs are being sourced from PCM, even 16 -44 redbook. Buyers don't seem to care. More power to them I suppose.

I still play my few remaining records every so often mainly so my turntable does not break down from too little use. I probably should do that with all my old electronics but I am too lax.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2022
    olinko likes this.
  9. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival

10. originalsnuffy

Does anybody know the lineage of the Japanese SACD of Aja by Steely Dan. I heard it once and thought it was quite good. I wonder if that came from a back up copy also or from an original master tape.

ispace likes this.
  11. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

12. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

All the liners state (that I can see) is "DSD Transferred from analogue master tapes by Hitoshi Takiguchi (Universal Mastering Studios)".

13. originalsnuffy

It will be interesting to see how the Japanese SACD of Aja compares with the new one coming out soon. I suspect that of this particular set of upcoming new Steely Dan SACD releases, the one that may be surpassed by the existing versions would be Aja.

ispace and Jarleboy like this.
  14. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

yeah it's a flat transfer of a japanese master copy.

jhm likes this.
  15. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

What is a Japanese master copy?

16. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

It should just be a copy tape of the master that was sent to Japan to allow them to press local copies of the album.

elvisizer, ispace and shokhead like this.
  17. originalsnuffy

I would presume that this would be a similar generation to what the new AP release will use?

ispace likes this.
  18. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I guess we'll find out when it's released, but yes, it sounds like it.

19. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member Thread Starter

As we enter the last 3 months of 2022, there were 14,672 SACD releases listed at hraudio.net. That's a gain of 414 new SACD releases since the beginning of the year.

From all indications, 2022 will see new SACD releases worldwide exceeding 600 titles....possibly exceeding 2021's total of 625.

On November 2, Japan Universal Music will unleash 50 classical music releases on SHM-SACD (i.e. stereo single layer SACD) on the Deutsch Grammophon (DG) and Decca labels, which will be followed with a 21 title J-pop "Best of" SACD compilation reissue campaign in the middle of November. Still possible for the last three months of 2022....Michael Jackson's "Thriller" on MoFi, the first 6 Van Halen studio albums on MoFi, the last 2 Eagles studio albums on MoFi, Analogue Production's Steely Dan "Can't Buy A Thrill" SACD, etc.

fredblue, Jagger69, layman and 5 others like this.
  20. dwilpower

dwilpower Forum Resident

I'm hopeful that with the apparent revival of fortunes for CDs in general some labels will take this opportunity to relaunch SACD as a quality luxury niche Hi Fi audiophile product similar to the model applied with the vinyl revolution. Streaming is OK but we have a very different relationship with physical artefacts that we can hold- it's a far deeper psychological emotional connection and investment. When I catalogue my music collection I only include vinyl and CDs, never have I ever included any digital downloads even though I've paid for them.

fredblue, weekendtoy, gromich and 7 others like this.
  21. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'm wasn't overly impressed with the SQ of Countdown To Ecstasy or Pretzel Logic JSACDs either. I'm hoping the new APO Steely Dan SACDs will be an improvement. Hoping Katy Lied SACD will be the new definitive digital version.

fredblue, GregM, ispace and 4 others like this.
  22. olinko

olinko Forum Resident

Listening to the Cardigans SACD, on first listen, level-matched with the original CD, I don't hear an obvious difference. I know it's just the first listen, but even the DR values are the same

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: The Cardigans / First Band on the Moon [Universal – 5396310 Hong Kong SACD 2022]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR11 -7.75 dB -20.00 dB 3:55 01-Your New Cuckoo
    DR9 -6.43 dB -16.47 dB 4:05 02-Been It
    DR9 -6.20 dB -17.60 dB 3:42 03-Heartbreaker
    DR9 -6.07 dB -17.31 dB 2:36 04-Happy Meal II
    DR9 -6.78 dB -16.71 dB 3:21 05-Never Recover
    DR8 -6.61 dB -15.77 dB 3:48 06-Step on Me
    DR10 -6.13 dB -17.28 dB 3:14 07-Lovefool
    DR7 -6.15 dB -14.70 dB 3:17 08-Losers
    DR9 -5.95 dB -16.15 dB 4:20 09-Iron Man
    DR8 -9.25 dB -19.32 dB 3:16 10-Great Divide
    DR8 -5.99 dB -15.54 dB 3:26 11-Choke
    Number of tracks: 11
    Official DR value: DR9
    Samplerate: 2822400 Hz / PCM Samplerate: 88200 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 1
    Bitrate: 5645 kbps
    Codec: DSD64
    ================================================================================

yasujiro, jamesc, Jagger69 and 2 others like this.
  23. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

Agw and Eno’s other big solo albums were done in dsd back in 2004 already but unfortunately those dsd masters were only released on cd, not sacd. I keep hoping they’ll be released on sacd someday, fingers crossed

jamesc, dwilpower, ispace and 2 others like this.
  24. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

I will be having dinner with some friends next week. All of us are set up for SACD 5.1 and more.

Fruff76, fredblue, jhm and 1 other person like this.
  25. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I was impressed by the JSACDs. I liked them a lot more than CD versions I've owned. Wasn't expecting them to win any audio awards, so they met my expectations. I'm also tempering my expectations for the APO SACDs. Expecting the worst. Hoping for the best.

Yes, but consider the source--you're one of the biggest and best proponents of SACD 5.1 and the fact that your friends are set up for SACD 5.1 is not representative sample of the broader audiophile community. But it should be!

ispace, Jarleboy and Bill Mac like this.