Olivia Newton-John Appreciation Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Feb 10, 2019.

1. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

The idea of having to wait until there is a Making a Good Thing Better deluxe edition before getting Totally Hot is displeasing. :D

RSteven and leicbri like this.
  2. PDoolin

PDoolin Forum Resident

Would be a shame if they skipped 'OLIVIA' (1972) even if it was never released in the US. Of its 14 songs, only 4 were on ON-J albums in the US. IMO, they should release 'OLIVIA' with any 1972-era bonus tracks they could find. At the very least, the early version of "Sail Into Tomorrow" (1972 b-side of single "Take Me Home Country Roads"); and would make sense to include her 2 songs from the Dean Martin show in '72: "If" and "Just A Little Lovin'/True Love" (duet w/Dean). And if doing that, could see about the 2 songs from the BBC tele-film, "The Case" (w/Cliff Richard aired Sept.2, 1972): "Banks of the Ohio" (unique vocal performance), and "If I Was Close To You" (duet w/Cliff). That's if Primary Wave would consider including songs from TV shows and could get rights. Bonus material for 'OLIVIA' may be a bit thin. I wonder if there are better quality copies of any other gems fans have found and posted from the era, like her live / TV performances of: "If You Could Read My Mind" (15 Jan 72 from "It's Cliff") / "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" (8 Jan 72 from "It's Cliff") / "Walk On By/The Look Of Love" (6 March 71 duet w/Cliff from "It's Cliff") / "Me And You And A Dog Named Boo" (18 March 71 from "It's Cliff") / "Baby It's You" (duet w/Cliff) / "Banks Of The Ohio" (1971 Top of the Pops version) / "Take Me Home Country Roads" (one of the 2 live TV versions floating about, though maybe those would fit better on 'LET ME BE THERE' [aka 'MUSIC MAKES MY DAY']...

leicbri and KJTC like this.
  3. PDoolin

PDoolin Forum Resident

Imagine they'd probably skip around to the most likely albums to get biggest interest, rather than chronological (i'd love chronological, but totally get it). If they did, i'd expect "Totally Hot" to be very likely the next Deluxe edition.

4. PDoolin

PDoolin Forum Resident

What duet w/Dolly ?!!! And wow, yes, please.. a song w/Kenny Rogers, from 1984-era ??? OMG... where are these?!!!

leicbri likes this.
  5. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

No one will buy those but us, especially now that she’s gone and can’t promote them. Actually, I don’t know if I’d buy those. The lack of promotion from PW isn’t helping. I guess it depends on how well the duets album sells.

TimM likes this.
  6. NoYesMaybe

NoYesMaybe Forum Resident

... or how well the duets album is... I am not really looking for a duet with Pia Zadora...

:hide:

David Campbell and TimM like this.
  7. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I like duets, but I’m not a fan of entire albums of them. They tend to bore me. When there’s a single duet track (not counting soundtracks) it feels special. We got a special guest on this album. When there’s a bunch, it doesn’t feel special anymore. It feels more like a stunt or a novelty record to me. Now if it’s an entire album working with another artist, that I would find more interesting. Glenn Campbell did that a few times. Again, just my own reaction to them.

TimM likes this.
  8. NoYesMaybe

The only duets album I like I think is the first Sinatra Duets that was really well done, well-arranged, and well, it was the first of it's kind... Even Barbra's (whom I adore) recent Partners was a snooze fest... Like you said though, my own reaction to it...

Now, If Olivia's duets is a compilation of all the duets she did, now that's interesting to me!

David Campbell, RSteven and Pizza like this.
  9. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

I’ve only just found this — complete ONJ show from 2006. The Grace and Gratitude tour.

I expect there will be more of these gems to emerge in the months and years ahead.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  10. edcw

edcw Forum Resident

I would have been so annoyed if I had to sit next to the person who’s filming this. :mad:

11. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

:eek:
    Oh gosh I hope not! These need to be released as the original albums were, not replaced by those American bastardizations. The 1973 Olivia USA album in particular is terrible.

12. Mezepokaj

Mezepokaj Forum Resident

There's also this 2004 semi-professional recording:

leicbri likes this.
  13. edcw

edcw Forum Resident

PW has released both the original albums & the U.S. compilations to streaming, so it’s hard to say which route they’re planning on taking. Personally, I’d like to see them release the original albums (Olivia, LLL & MMMD) as they better encompasses her early output. But, if PW is gearing their releases to capture a U.S. audience, it’s difficult to see them skipping over IYLMLMK as it was a #1, Grammy-winning album & the cover has become rather iconic.

Also, I know it’s been said that PW will be reissuing her entire catalog, which I hope is the case, but I have to wonder if less successful albums such as MAGTB, DSB, SK & The Rumour will be considered consequential enough to warrant deluxe editions. I also get the impression that as time went on, ONJ’s & Farrar’s studio work became much more streamlined due to her schedule & simply as a result of their maturing partnership (there were supposedly no extras tracks from the Physical sessions), so I wonder how much material was recorded that didn’t make it to each album.

PDoolin, TimM, KJTC and 2 others like this.
  14. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I can understand them wanting to release IYLMLMK since it is iconic to fans from that time. But it would be a mistake not to release her original albums that came before that as well, as those have lots of great songs that weren’t included on the two US compilation albums. But please don’t release the US album that preceded IYLMLMK in lieu of the three original albums that followed her debut.

p.s. Was Don’t Stop Believin’ really a poor seller for ONJ? Gosh, that’s my favorite Olivia Newton-John album along with Totally Hot!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2022
    David Campbell and RSteven like this.
  15. edcw

edcw Forum Resident

Both DSB & SK were certified gold for sales of 500,000 copies. Although released about 10 years apart, they both represented periods were ONJ’s sales were declining & both were followed by albums that failed to go gold (MAGTB & The Rumour).

yesstiles likes this.
  16. NoYesMaybe

I think you meant Let Me Be There ...

As I said, It's Bobby who said that earlier as I was wondering which route they would use too... I was happy with the streaming route (UK) but It seem that for the physical releases It would be the USA route... We shall see...

It will be one album less before Have You Never Been Mellow but in the end, with all the bonuses, all the songs will probably be included anyway... So, I am guessing they will do like they did with If Not For You and show all the different covers for all the albums in the booklet. I, too, would have prefer the UK route but frankly, as long as all the songs are included, I am fine with that.

David Campbell and Chris_Sydney like this.
  17. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

I don’t think I’ve ever had a duets collection that’s worked as a ‘proper’ album.

I’d imagine the ONJ one, rumoured to be a 2 CD 34 track set, will be something I’ll dip into, rather than sit through the whole thing every time.

It’s interesting that it will probably span her whole career if done right though.

David Campbell and Pizza like this.
  18. Bobby Morrow

Primary Wave have great difficulty in even being able to sell their releases in the U.K., so it’s probably a lot to ask that they honour our original track lists of her albums.:D

I think we’ll get all those song from the U.K. second, third and fourth albums, but they’ll be added as bonus tracks to Let Me Be There and If You Love Me, Let Me Know.

No official confirmation yet either way though.

TimM, Chris_Sydney and leicbri like this.
  19. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Yes you’re right. It gets confusing because the USA Let Me Be There album features the same album cover as her sophomore release Olivia from the rest of the world. And then to make matters worse, her original third album Music Makes My Day was named Let Me Be There in Australia!

I love the Australian Let Me Be There album, but I hate the USA Let Me Be There album. It’s a hodgepodge compilation that left off most of the best tracks!

It just seems in this day and age, re-issues would follow the original artist releases. Like how the Beatles Cd’s did in 1987.

Frankly though, I think it’s an absolute miracle that these pre-Grease ONJ albums are being reissued in this manner. I never would’ve imagined, despite how much we all love Olivia, that there would be a market for these.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2022
    TimM likes this.
  20. John Adam

John Adam An Introvert In Paradise

I love reading this thread. But today I feel empty.
    It really is hard to imagine, that great woman who entertained us all our lives won't be here to make a silly face, or talk like an old woman, or worst of all, to smile and laugh at whatever silly notion motivated her.
    She was an insanely wonderful human being, and I miss her as much as I would miss a friend or a sister. She was truly special. Worthy of admiring, and we were so lucky she was a part of our lives. :)

21. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

That's a lovely one too - including the part where her voice croaks during the Rocky Medley! She carries it off with aplomb. Adorable.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  22. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

I suspect PW will focus on the US releases - but time will tell. They're certainly far more geared up to serving the US market. In the UK presently, the INFY Deluxe Edition is scarcer than hen's teeth!

The flaws in those original US releases will be partly ironed out by the inclusion of bonus tracks, so I'm sure the missing tracks will all be included - just not necessarily in the ideal sequencing...

yesstiles and Bobby Morrow like this.
  23. Bobby Morrow

Where does the croak happen?

24. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

I'm still not sure it has fully sunk in for me. She still feels very 'present', because I'm still hearing and seeing her in all the ways I was used to hearing and seeing her when she was alive. And her more recent appearances still feel 'current', if you know what I mean? But at some point, those appearances are going to start feeling vintage. But we'll always have her huge body of work to fall back on - that's some consolation.

25. leicbri

leicbri Forum Resident

During Twist of Fate. The Rock Medley begins at about 56 mins. She also completely butchers the lyrics to The Rumour! :biglaugh:

Bobby Morrow likes this.