UK Charity (Thrift) Shop CD Hunting

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by MC Rag, Jan 17, 2016.

1. serendipitydawg

serendipitydawg Dag nabbit!

Despite his "cheesy" reputation, you can't fault Mr Last for his sheer enthusiasm for music & the fact that he kept numerous musicians employed for years.

2. Balcanquhal

Balcanquhal Forum Resident

3. Balcanquhal

I'm sure he loved what he did, but the piles of cash from countless LPs probably factored into the equation.

MC Rag likes this.
  4. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWV

Miles better than anything Dave Brock has released in the last few years.

Man at C&A and Mylene like this.
  5. Dirty Bertie

Dirty Bertie Man with golden helmet, drinks water from a faucet

Here I am persecuting poor old James Last while listening to a best of Windham Hill playlist on Spotify!

MC Rag and Mylene like this.
  6. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident Thread Starter

7. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

8. Balcanquhal

9. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Trumpet A-go-go outsold Are You Experienced in Australia in 1968. <<< TRUE!!

10. inigo jones

inigo jones Forum Resident

11. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

Well, I did a sweep for PE flags and Dare is flagged (as expected), but The Luxury Gap isn't, either in the TOC or the subcode. It sounds very nice though, so I'm guessing it's a later, fixed mastering - based on the Virgin Megastores price label, it was priced up on 18/12/1998, so that would fit.

Reading around it seems that the H17 pre-emphasis mess is:
    • Penthouse & Pavement - original disc and Nimbus re-issue had correct PE flags. The EMI Swindon reissue uses the same pre-emphasised audio, but without the PE flags, and sounds bad.
    • The Luxury Gap - original blue-faced WG PDO CD apparently has pre-emphasised audio, but no PE flags, and sounds bad. Not sure if there was an early re-issue with correct PE flags. Presumably this EMI Swindon re-issue has a fixed mastering and no PE flags.
    Dare is pretty fantastic, and when placed next to Penthouse & Pavement is an incredible achievment for what was effectively two halves of one band (not to diminish the contributions of Gregory, Burden or Callis). Makes me all the more eager to track down those pre-split Human League albums!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2022
  12. newelectricmuse

newelectricmuse charm, strangeness and quark

A few random CD purchases today:

Cream - I Feel Free - Ultimate Cream
    Jools Holland - Consider The Source Hideweaver - Time To Rise
    3 for £1
    I wanted the Cream compilation and then had to find a couple more to make up the deal. I don't normally go anywhere near Holland and his boogie woogie piano (although his autobiography is very entertaining) but this was recorded live in a cathedral with Beverley Knight, Ruby Turner and choirs and sounded interesting. The third one is some Italian metal which could be good or could be terrible, but at least it was something unusual I hadn't seen before.

Steve Jansen & Richard Barbieri - Other Worlds In A Small Room £1
    These are two of the Japan guys who aren't David Sylvian or Mick Karn. After popping out of the shop (no reception inside) to look up some reviews (I think this is ambient-ish) it looked interesting enough to get for £1, especially as it was signed by them both. I saw Japan on their final Sons of Pioneers tour in 1982 (they were excellent, by the way) and still have a soft spot for them.

13. saw119

saw119 Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Needed cheering up and a trip to the charities didn't let me down. A really great selection of CDs from my local shops. I'm most excited by the Ninja Tunes comp and the CPE Bach on period instruments. I have an interest in historical keyboard instruments and those concertos are played on an unusual, and rare, tangent piano. I payed £7 all together. All I need is to find time to listen to them all.

ETA I briefly considered buying a double cd fatboy of James Last Live in London :D

14. rikki nadir

rikki nadir Gentleman Thug

I love that Wedding Present album. They are seldom spotted on the charity shelves. so that is a result.

And of course you can't go wrong with the La's. The only sadness there is that their all-too-brief existence means there aren't many more CDs out there to find.

15. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Definitely do - the CD's have all the extra tracks on them too. Travelogue is a highlight and the

Man at C&A, mark e and Putrifiers II like this.
  16. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Local charity shops somewhat barren, though visiting late in the day likely doesn't help, so these are from a record shop, though one that is actually cheaper than the charities on many things. I'm very pleased with these, especially picking up the Tangerine Dream vinyl, the shop had had a nearly complete 4AD vinyl collection in today which was very impressive and reminded me I have no idea where my Wolfgang Press records are and haven't seen them in years.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. AlmostHeavenWV

A couple of CDs yesterday, 2 for 99p.
    Liane Foly - Les Petites Notes. An English-language version also exists, but I'm happier with this one in French.
    howdenjones - Beautiful Again - Live. Kate Howden and Pete Jones wrote all the songs, both play guitar and sing, and are from the port of Glasson Dock, down the road from where I am.

Today I found an LP, Huckleberry Hound with The Great Family TV Show, for £3. It has three episodes, one each of Yogi Bear, Pixie and Dixie and Mr. Jinks, and Huckleberry Hound, voiced by the same guys that did the TV shows. When this LP was released (1961) those are cartoons I liked to watch, so this would have been a great Xmas present for me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

This is the James Last cd you all need -- special guests Tom Jones and Nina Hagen !!
    James Last - They Call Me Hansi

Mylene likes this.
  19. AlmostHeavenWV

Dubmart calls him something else.

20. rikki nadir

I worked Saturday, so got Monday off. I spent a nice afternoon taking a train over to Balham and then a bus back to Clapham for a total of fifteen charity shops. Two, including the Salvation Army, were closed or had limited hours Mondays, the huge Save The Children shop on Clapham High Street is nearly open again after a mega-refit, and two shops did not have obsolete media, only clothing.

From the ten that were open and relevant to this thread, I got:

[​IMG]

More Sinatra - see my previous posts. Three compilations, from 1983, 1997, and 2008. I have been looking for the 1983 New York New York for weeks, and have found two trashed copies and one with the wrong disc - a Dorsey-era compilation from Sinatra! I left them all. I finally found a nice clean copy for fifty pence, and probably would have not bought the other two had I got it at the start of the afternoon. Four CDs of classic tunes though for less than a fiver, and I find even with many repeated tracks, the sequencing is a key factor for enjoyment. Although 'My Way' needs to be at or near the end, not in the middle as on New York New York. What were they thinking?

John James is a Welsh acoustic guitarist from the 1960s era, a contemporary of Bert Jansch, etc. I had never heard of him, but decided to pick up BGO's double CD reissue of his first four albums on Transatlantic Records. It was a fiver, but seems well worth it. The CD was in a locked 'precious things' cabinet resting against a vintage autograph book or members-only club book full of autographs. The book was open to Princess Margaret's autograph and also had former Prime Minister Edward Heath's and I will wager a good few others of historical interest. It was on sale for £125, these days about $135.

That was in a really nice Oxfam bookshop in Balham where I also got Decca's Mozart comp I bought to compare with the Deutsche Grammophon one I got the other week. The Eagles is in a fatboy and is the unremastered West German pressing. Poor Garth Brooks I got as a make weight purchase on a debit card, but I bet I will enjoy it when I play it.

I also got two early eighties copies of the NME with Scritti Politti and Cabaret Voltaire on the cover for a pound each.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2022
  21. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Today -

Tony Bennett, Live At Carnegie Hall (double CD remaster from 1997, includes the complete 1962 concert)
    Art Blakey/Clifford Brown - Live, 1954 (this is basically one of the Night In Tunisia albums, in bootleg form. Sounds fine, though)
    Louis Armstrong - Live at Newport Jazz Festival, 1957

All for £1.00.

Very pleased about the Bennett, as I didn't have anything by him.

22. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I also love The Wedding Present Bizarro and the Bizarro tour was my first concert. I also saw the 25th anniversary tour. I saw The La's back in the day too.

23. rikki nadir

I walked into the HMV flagship store in Oxford Street to do some shopping 25 years ago and a single A4 notice at the front of the store announced '19:00 Appearance by Tony Bennett'. I stuck around obviously, and he played to shoppers for over an hour, promoting his tribute to Billy Holiday but playing other tunes with his jazz ensemble.

I reckon a quarter of those in the store could not believe our good fortune. Another quarter wished the old geezer would just pipe down and shut up, and the remaining half just wanted to get their Spice Girls and Metallica CDs and get out of there.

24. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Soul Kiss is quite rare on CD.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  25. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Scratchy hubs can make a huge difference to a collector.