Super Mario Bros. Movie Lands All-Star Voice Cast

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by BeatleJWOL, Sep 23, 2021.

1. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member Thread Starter

Okay. If that thread title didn't immediately give you a heavy feeling, right in the bowels somewhere, you're probably not a gamer.
    Super Mario Bros. Movie Lands Chris Pratt, Anya Taylor-Joy, Seth Rogen - Variety

Let's-a go! :(

Stormrider77 and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

3. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

I'm surprised Nintendo signed off on this after the poorly received, bizarre live action Mario movie starring Bob Hoskins.

4. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

There is no way that this movie could be anywhere near as shockingly terrible as that -- I would hope that everyone involved in this is interested in righting that wrong. Could actually be good??

5. Tom Schreck

From what I understand, the Mario team at Nintendo is much more directly involved in the creation of this movie than the '93 one. It could be an embarrassing disaster, but I'm predicting it's actually going to be okay or even good. Chris Pratt is definitely the biggest wild card though. Maybe his dialogue will be minimal.

6. BeatleJWOL

That movie is almost 30 years old. This new one won't be live action, so that's a start.

It might be good, might be a musical...

No way to tell at this point.

I also find it worth noting what Miyamoto himself had to say about the original film:
    Super Mario Bros. (film) - Wikipedia

If he thought THAT film was "too close" to the games, I can't imagine what one that actually looks like the games for a change will be.

7. Tom Schreck

The thing I'm most curious about here is how they will treat the plot and canon. The games mostly don't have an intricate plot, because the plot isn't the point of the games (whatever "plot" there is acts as a backdrop to the gameplay, i.e. running, jumping, dodging enemies and obstacles, finding secrets). There's tons of universe-building and novel characters, and decent bits transfer from game to game, but each game is also its own self-contained reboot of sorts, with its own internal logic, physics, and rules. Comparing the games, there is tons of stuff in common, but it's more like folklore or Looney Tunes in that it deals in archetypes while keeping loose with "canon." And Mario himself, as a character, is paper-thin.

So that all being said, they have a ton of lore, characters and settings to mine from the games, but not a whole lot that could be considered universal across all the games. And considering that story isn't really a fundamental aspect of the games, I'm just not sure what kind of story they want to tell here.

But again, I'm cautiously optimistic, because it seems like they're putting a lot of care into this one. And I love me some Mario.

8. Tom Schreck

I've puzzled over that Miyamoto quote before, because it's just so off-the-mark. (That movie had very little to do with the games). I think maybe what he meant was that the game elements felt shoehorned in, and I do agree with that.

9. kreen

kreen Forum Resident

Back in the day, a Mario comic book was published in Nintendo Power magazine. It was more recently published in a stand-alone book. The kind of humor and story it featured could work perfectly as a movie.

MikaelaArsenault and BeatleJWOL like this.
  10. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

I would rather see a new Super Mario Bros game or Mario Maker 3 released on the Switch.

11. BeatleJWOL

I can't wait for Super Mario Bros.: The Movie: The Game :laugh:

intv7, MikaelaArsenault, JCRW and 2 others like this.
  12. 420JJJazz666

420JJJazz666 Hasta Siempre, Comandante

Why not just have Charles Martinet do the voice? The classic voice.
    Better than Lou Albano (who was decent IMO before the legendary Martinet voice) and way better than Bob Hoskins. Maybe Chris Pratt will be good though.

13. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

14. BeatleJWOL

Good question. He was announced as part of the voice cast, but it's not clear exactly how.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  15. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Great cast.

Should be good.

16. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

Could Miyamoto have been referring to the 1986 animated movie that was released in Japan?

Super Mario Bros.: Peach-Hime Kyushutsu Dai Sakusen! - Wikipedia !

17. BeatleJWOL

Possibly, but the original interview cited on Wikipedia was specifically referring to the "Disney" Mario movie, and the 1993 film was distributed by Buena Vista Pictures in the states, so that checks out.

18. BeatleJWOL

Today's Nintendo Direct previewing the film; currently live, should stay up as a video afterwards:

Short and sweet. Featured comments from Shigeru Miyamoto, Illumination head Chris Melisandre, Chris Pratt, Jack Black, and ended with a brief teaser trailer.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2022
    FVDnz and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  19. Tom Schreck

Trailer was brief but looked pretty good! I'm still unconvinced by Pratt, but I'm also glad it won't be 90 minutes of Martinet's Italian-accented sing-song take either.

20. Crack To The Egg

Crack To The Egg Forum Resident

Trailer looks great. Not sure about the voice acting, but I can overlook it.

21. BeatleJWOL

I'm actually already sold by Jack Black. It's Pratt's Mario that will take some getting used to.

Though, if I'm honest, the lip sync on Bowser is freakin' me out just a little bit :laugh:

22. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

The teaser trailer:

FVDnz, Stormrider77 and BeatleJWOL like this.
  23. BeatleJWOL

Well, now there's more.

Crisp Ratt still scootin' along on half an accent, but I'm still loving the rest of what I'm seeing here.

Let this be a lesson to you, kids: not all actors are voice actors.

24. MikaelaArsenault

25. MikaelaArsenault