VAN MORRISON Album by Album Discussion: Part 2 (Wavelength 1978 - Enlightenment 1990)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Clarkophile, Nov 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

i'm starting a trend????:winkgrin:

2. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

sure he was an 'alter Knacker', but hey - some of those made the best music out there Bob Dylan, Frank Zappa amo...

What the hell is an alter knacker? I really have no idea here, and I know my rock n roll like the back of my ear drum.

3. DJ WILBUR

see post 10 for description.

4. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night Thread Starter

First with the Clientele, then Iron and Wine, now this...William, you've got your finger on the pulse of alter kockers everywhere.:p:angel: :laugh:

5. DJ WILBUR

hahaha, have I talked to you about Richard Hawley yet?

6. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Ok, but Zappa was writing amazing things up till the end, and if we are talking 78, then he had not even really passed his peak yet. Dylan also did not exactly fade out either at that point. I mean we are talking 78-79 right?

But Van on the other hand might have been old at 40 years old, others were not. Thankfully Van came back around after the so-called hit Wavelength which is the only hit record I ever saw in the $2.99 bins less than six months after it was issued, and it would remain a cut-out for a good 15 to 20 years now that I think about it. You can still find it on ebay sealed with a notch cut.

Poor examples (Dylan and Zappa) I think.

7. DJ WILBUR

8. DJ WILBUR

since this first batch contains albums we discussed I thought I'd also include this information here...

BACK CATALOGUE REISSUES FOR JANUARY 2008 :

Tupelo Honey
    It's Too Late To Stop Now
    Wavelength
    Into The Music
    A Sense Of Wonder
    Avalon Sunset
    Back On Top

Extra tracks as follows :

Tupelo Honey : Wild Night (alternative take) and a reworking of the traditional Down By The Riverside

It's Too Late To Stop Now : live take on Brown Eyed Girl

Wavelength : Kingdom Hall and Wavelength (Live at the Roxy Theatre, LA, Nov 26, 1978)

Into The Music : Steppin' Out Queen and Troubadours (alternative takes)

A Sense Of Wonder : Crazy Jane On God and A Sense Of Wonder (alternative takes)

Avalon Sunset : Whenever God Shines His Light (alternative take) and When The Saints Go Marching In (with additional lyrics by Van Morrison)

Back On Top : Philosopher's Stone (alternative take) and Valley Of Tears (A completely new arrangement of the Fats Domino Song)

9. JohnB

JohnB Senior Member

Oh what could have been...

Hate to sound like a complainer but there isn't much here to whet my appetite. First of all, on his website it says none of this has been previously available. Haven't the two Wavelength bonus tracks been available on the previously mentioned promo discs? Ok, so let's give them the benefit of the doubt and say that it wasn't commercially available.

Down by the Riverside, When the Saints and Valley of Tears might be nice to hear. I am a bit disappointed in the Into the Music bonus tracks. Those two songs are probably my least favorite on the whole album. And the ITLTSN bonus ...what a huge missed opportunity to release some of the other great unreleased outtakes from that album.

If the remasters really sound much better than the originals (I know, wishful thinking ...) then I'll jump right on these. Otherwise I'll probably wait until they start showing up in the used bins.

10. Clarkophile

Good to know there's some semblance of order to this.:laugh:

And yes, there's not much there in terms of bonus material, is there? A huge drag this.

11. tfarney

tfarney Active Member

Aw man...they could have done a lot better with ITLTSN. Still, I'll be standing in line to get my hands on a full CD copy of that one. And I don't have A Sense Of Wonder or Avalon Sunset at all. It won't take me long to pick those up. Are these supposed to be "remastered" or just available again? I really don't want anyone screwing around with ITLTSN.

Tim

12. dee

dee Senior Member

Thanks for the news, kind sir, regarding the reissues and those "Bonus Tracks." :p . There's so many! :p . So, here's a hoping for another Philosophers Stone, then. But not counting on it. :confused: Oh well! Time to pick up a few of those Van discs I don't already have, or haven't heard. Me wanting more, and haven't heard everything already there. :shake:

13. Clarkophile

14. DJ WILBUR

Yes as far as I know its a total catalog overhaul so the mastering will be new.

I'm assuming it'll be the same or pretty similar to the recent best of released a couple of weeks ago...but thats my assumption, not fact.

15. DJ WILBUR

thats why i was sparing all of you viewing the whole thing. a minute is more than enough...:shh:

still, for the completists out there...now you have a choice....

16. tfarney

tfarney Active Member

So how is that best of?

Tim

17. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

I'm underwhelmed with the bonus material especially on It's Too Late To Stop Now. :rolleyes:

18. Clarkophile

And bleedin' "Brown Eyed Girl", to boot? WTF were they thinking?:wtf:

19. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

"Wavelength". Nothing to add that hasn't been said. I like side 2 most, but "Natalia" on side one is good. Yup, Van's American pop album. Did he just move to the States before he released this one? Lots of references to America or U.S. cities on this one. I like his vocal performance on "Hungry For You Love".

20. Clarkophile

Finally, someone else who likes "Natalia." I thought I was alone there.

It does have an American vibe to it, but I think around the time of its completion he was in the process of moving back across the pond.

21. DJ WILBUR

I've only heard a flac file of the one Veedon Fleece track from the 3 cd UK version...:sigh: it wasnt in any way an improvement, and stopped me from ordering one...figuring, well, i'll get the reissues with the bonus tracks I want instead...:sigh:

22. Clarkophile

William is on my wavelength: we're both considering moving on to Into the Music tomorrow...

23. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Aw, what's the hurry guys? Someone (not me :D) still has to post session info and other useful Heylin tidbits re Wavelength.

And did I mention how disappointed I am in everyone's failure to chime in with how great they now think "Sante Fe/Beautiful Obsession" is since I attempted to call attention to it :p

dee likes this.
  24. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Right, Van moved to the States in the late 60's and left upon completing this album. Hence the "lost dreams and found dreams in America" theme...

25. Clarkophile

I'm gonna listen to "Santa Fe/Beautiful Obsession" for ya:angel:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.