Audio Technica ART20 cartridge.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by theophile, Oct 5, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theophile

theophile Pheasant Plucker Thread Starter

ART Series - Line Series - Cartridges | Audio-Technica

Dual Moving Coil Stereo Cartridge | AT-ART20 | Audio-Technica

Cartridge & Stylus
    Frequency Response
    20 to 50,000 Hz
    Channel Separation 30 dB (1 kHz)
    Vertical Tracking Angle 20°
    Vertical Tracking Force 1.6 to 2.0 g (1.8 g standard)
    Stylus Construction Nude
    Recommended Load Impedance ≥ 100 ohms (when head amplifier connected)
    Coil Impedance 12 ohms (1 kHz)
    DC Resistance 12 ohms
    Coil Inductance 25 μH (1 kHz)
    Output Voltage 0.55 mV (1 kHz, 5 cm/sec.)
    Stylus Shape Special Line Contact
    Cantilever 0.28 mm (0.011”) diameter solid boron
    Static Compliance 23 × 10-6 cm/dyne
    Dynamic Compliance 13 × 10-6 cm/dyne (100 Hz)
    Cartridge Weight 9.0 g (0.32 oz)
    Dimensions 17.3 mm (0.68”)×16.8 mm (0.66”)×26.6 mm (1.05”) (H×W×D)
    Accessories Included Non-magnetic screwdriver, Brush, Washer × 2, Cartridge installation screws (M2.6) (5.0 mm (0.20”) × 2 , 8.0 mm (0.31”) × 2, 10.0 mm (0.39”) × 2 , 12.0 mm (0.47”) × 2), Protector
    Threaded Hole M2.6 × 2
    Stylus Curvature Radius 1.5 × 0.28 mil
    Type MC

Last edited: Oct 5, 2022
  2. theophile

3. theophile

4. theophile

5. theophile

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  6. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

alien yah :)
    i bet it sounds really nice. $2900 puts it in a different class of competition than the ART9s.

kt66brooklyn, jusbe and bloodlemons like this.
  7. theophile

I'm getting mine delivered today.

8. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

Just $2000 in Japan, but you're right, that price here does move it up amongst some established favorites. Be interesting to see how it fares, I haven't even seen a review yet, guess @theophile will have to be our vicarious connection for now :)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2022
    snorker likes this.
  9. theophile

I haven't got mine. Delivered today.

10. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Don’t love that price, but I’d be interested to hear it. I’d prefer if they used the ML tip to get the best possible inner groove performance, but that doesn’t seem to be AT’s MO on their high-end offerings.

11. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

We're gonna expect regular updates and lots of pictures once you get it, so be prepared :)

Andy Saunders and Soundslave like this.
  12. theophile

I didn't even know the ART20 existed. I was researching the ART9 and considering buying thr ART9XI when I saw this on a Japanese seller's web page and thought "Why Not?'.

That was what influenced the buying decision. "Why not".

13. Derek Harold Nicholls

Derek Harold Nicholls World Class 12'' arms Temaad

Hi, IF I am correct your T/T's arm has an Eff Mass of around around 16 to 18 grams, which means it will not be a very good match for the cart. The resonant frequency of the pair will be to low.

Cheers

14. dconsmack

dconsmack Senior Member

I love AT carts, but I prefer the MicroLine stylus. So much so that it’s a deal breaker. Too bad. That cart looks nice.

15. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Nice.

16. theophile

I'm going to work on that. Might be a Kuzma 4Point in the wings....

jusbe likes this.
  17. theophile

Images?

18. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

To someone else then?

19. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I have the ART9XA and that’s how I feel. It’s an awesome cart sound wise but it’s worst cart I’ve had for exposing surface noise. Pretty much all my records are new/NM so it’s not much of an issue for me but I prefer rock solid tracking and minimal surface noise.

dconsmack likes this.
  20. Spica

Spica Easy like Sunday morning

The ugliest AT ever.

21. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

I tend to agree
    In the looks department they are not very successful tbh.

Above cartridge seem to be a marketing stunt to sell to rich wealthy people.
    I have nothing against that but hate boast braggers, self ego praisers.

What should justify the price ? as you can get specs cheaper.
    They know some customers buying on price only, would these people have any idea to match it correct.?

22. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

I haven't heard this cartridge. I would expect it to be nice, given that AT tends to deliver good value at all price points. I really like the sound of the ART1000, but, that is a quite unique design (coils attached to the cantilever right behind the stylus).

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  23. theophile

Got the overhang very close. Azimuth very close. Raised the rear. Tracking set at 1.97( manufacturer's upper limit).

Going to try 470 ohms on the Simaudio LP 5.3 as the loading. It's 11 pm. I will not be spinning vinyl at this hour out of consideration for the neighbours.

No it didn't get delivered to somebody else...

The YSA-1 arm is probably a touch heavy but from the ART20's specs it is a better combination than an ART9.

The YSA-1 contains two solid copper rods in the arm tube. In Japan they remove the rods by way of rewiring and this lowers the effective mass of the tonarm considerably. I always have that mod as an option.

I bought the ART20 on a whim. Given testimony of the other ART cartridges(excellent) I don't expect to love the break in period but I am looking forward to hearing the run in cartridge.

To all the well wishers: Thank you. For good advice: Thank you. I look forward to about one month down the track
    There is only one way to know. I took the plunge. I work hard in the lower income bracket and indulge myself with hi fi gear.

24. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

The slc tip with boron cantilever tracks extremely well.
    I have it on an OC9xsl and it tracks everything I throw at it very well, there have been instances of multiple posters talking about mistracking on certain tough to track recordings where the slc just sails right through perfectly.

Theoretically, the Microline will last longer though.

jusbe, chris8519 and fish like this.
  25. dconsmack

dconsmack Senior Member

The SLC is excellent, but it's not the best. I compared my ART9 with the AT33PTG/2. The AT33PTG/2 tracked the crotale bell at the intro of Rush's YYZ on an original CA press with less distortion. And, yes the MicroLine will not only last longer but will wear with practically no change to the contact area until its done. I suspect AT uses the SLC on their higher end carts because it might be easier to mount the diamond to sit square to the cantilever since its rectangular shank goes through it, whereas the MicroLine is positioned at the bottom end of the cantilever with an adhesive. MicroLines are supposedly allowed +/- 5º zenith error tolerance, which is quite a bit for any cart, especially if it's expensive. If they could get a stylus/cantilever supplier to mount a MicroLine tip with its shank mounted in a laser cut hole in the cantilever, it would be ideal. I'd buy an AT-ART1000 if they did that. The only MicroLine-style tips I've seen mounted this way are on the Dynavector 17D3 (and its variants) and the Shure V15V-MR models with the beryllium cantilever. There's probably more I just don't know which ones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.