let's talk about our pressing of ALVEAR (Led Zep, AC / DC, CCR, Young ... and others ...)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Christophe Lethimonnier, Oct 22, 2021.

1. StratNg

StratNg Well-Known Member

Thanks Multirock. Since you've been talking about Led Zep IV a lot... Which version would you recommend? I found an A8/B6 copy, but not sure whether to wait for that stamped A5/B3 one, which as I get it, isn't mastered by Alvear at all?

Appreciate any comments on the topic :)

Cheers

2. multirock

multirock Forum Resident

Hi StratNG,
    I’d choose the A8/B6.
    I have the A8/B4, and it’s my favorite Alvear copy of that album. I’ve sold my A10/B13 copy after hearing this copy. Some things like the riff on Rock & Roll sounds more powerful and detailed.
    I think the A5/B3 is a very nice copy. As Christophe have said, it’s a very hot copy, but I think lacks some air and details.
    Enjoy it!

3. StratNg

Thanks a lot, this was very informative. If I get it before someone else does I'll come back here with my impressions.

4. Christophe Lethimonnier

Christophe Lethimonnier Forum Resident Thread Starter

To extend @multirock's post, to choose, I will also go for a Led Zeppelin lV ALVEAR. For two reasons: The ALVEAR pressings are rare and the masterings of the fourth album (A8/B4 and A11/B10) are identical. I imagine that the A8/B6 was cut during the same sessions as the A8/B4. Again, Marta slightly improved the original mix by injecting more three-dimensionality, freshness and realism! Splendid !

The A5/B3 stamped mastering is a Hot mastering. The dirtiest and heaviest version of "Rock'n'roll" I've heard! Incandescent guitars too (the solo of "When the levees breaks" for example). A joyful and invigorating listening experience! Audiophiles should hate it but those who love the Led Zep ll RL should love it!

multirock and StratNg like this.
  5. Christophe Lethimonnier

Great! Obviously some of the members are a bit shy! :shrug:

StratNg likes this.
  6. multirock

multirock Forum Resident

Great review!!
    I’ve never listened the A11/B10, but I had the A13/B11, and A10/B11. And to my ears both sounds a bit thin compared to the A7 or A8.
    The riff on Rock & Roll it’s very revealing. In the later copies A13, A10, the guitar is a bit laid back on the mix.
    For me, A7 and A8 has more body and power. Maybe a mastering between the raw and hot A5 and the more polite A13 or A11.

7. al2813

al2813 Forum Resident

Hi Christophe, I got today in a record fair a LZ 1 A6 (with Alvear signature and the matrix in Hanford writing) and B2 - this one no Alvear signature and classic Atlantic font on the deadwax. It is a VG - VG+ in some parts. Quite a bit of noise on quieter moments but still fantastic sound.

I still need to hunt LZ3, 4 and houses of the holy. Any one selling in Europe is welcome to ping me :)

8. StratNg

There's a VG+ copy on the Discogs of the A8/B8 LZII. However, the guy is asking for 200 euros for it. A 100 euros would be alright for me, but I'm gonna pass on this one. If someone wants it, it's still out there.

As if it wasn't enough that it's so rare, and now it's getting out of reach with the pumped up prices.

9. Christophe Lethimonnier

Not guilty! :D

StratNg likes this.
  10. Christophe Lethimonnier

Hi,

Cool! A hybrid pressing like this can happen sometimes... even in a country much smaller than the United States.

From memory, I believe a German seller has a House of Holy Mastery ALVEAR on both sides. I'll try to contact him again and let you know.

The first four albums are certainly the most difficult to find and will certainly be subject to more and more speculation.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see in a few years, a near mint copy of ALVEAR will sell for over $500.00... especially the Led Zep ll A8/B8 or Led Zep ll A8, A9/B4!! !

Christophe

All Down The Line and StratNg like this.
  11. StratNg

I'm sure of that :D

12. al2813

al2813 Forum Resident

Bid disappointment with this copy as the LP is a bit warped. Hard to see when you pull out the record in the fair. Never tried the recipes to flatten records, maybe I should try here.
    I saw an 2nd hand ad which prompted me to look in discogs. The Hispavox Led Zeppelin 1 had multiple coloured vinyl unofficial reissues in 2007-2014. Anyone ever tried them?

13. Christophe Lethimonnier

Hmm... i'll be you i'll stay away from these counterfeits. I will try to do further research elsewhere. Spanish pressings...or other countries! Isn't that missing!?! ;-)

Christophe

14. al2813

al2813 Forum Resident

yes counterfeits is a real issue in Spain. I even managed to purchase 2 Beatles counterfeits in a completely legit and very well known vinyl store in Valencia. Unfortunately it was just when I started buying vinyls after many years and I had no clue of things…..

15. Christophe Lethimonnier

We were all newbies! And I can still say nonsense! ;-)

al2813 likes this.
  16. StratNg

As I'm waiting for my LZIV A8/B6 copy I'm also looking for a Physical Grafitti :) should I have any preferences for particular matrices?

Regards

17. Christophe Lethimonnier

I don't think there are many differences between each cut of Marta ALVEAR. In any case my copy sounds great, with always this fantastic 3D sound stage and wonderful synergy (the trademark of Marta ;-)).

StratNg likes this.
  18. dee

dee Senior Member

Fwiw I have only seen a couple as posted here and some sides with a stamped matrix and others with a signed one. I have a copy that sounds nice although it has a quick jump skip near the end of In The Light. I have not tried fixing it or cleaning it. 2 Sides etched ~~ and 2 sides matrix stamped. It's not a song I like that much but I do like the chorus. Probably much cheaper to buy 'in country' without the shipping fees.

19. StratNg

Thanks Dee, I've read about the copy you have. I guess nobody has 2 or more to compare. Anyway, I'll try to hunt down a 3-sided Alvear with the last one stamped. Or maybe a 4-sided Alvear :D wishful thinking...

Regards

Christophe Lethimonnier and dee like this.
  20. StratNg

Hi Christophe, which copy do you have? What are the matrices?

Regards

21. ccous13

ccous13 Active Member

Hello experts! I have read through this entire thread and though this press of LZ II has been mentioned, it seems so far no one has been able to confirm it is a double-sided Alvear. Side B contains the B P5 etching but no signature. Side A has her telltale wave sig. Has anyone picked this one up or is perhaps willing to hazard a best guess as to whether the B side is mastered by Marta, given everything we know about her different signatures? These are the matrices:

• Matrix / Runout (Runout, A-side, variant 3): HATS-421-43-A6 ̫
    • Matrix / Runout (Runout, B-side, variant 3): HATS-421-43 B P5

22. multirock

multirock Forum Resident

I have two AC/DC pressings and one Neil Young`s on which one of their sides have the P5 configuration, and the other side has the wave sign. I'm pretty sure both sides are mastered by Alvear, as both sounds great, with the same music tonality.

23. ccous13

ccous13 Active Member

Thank you! I figured that the P5 has showed up enough times that you’d all be able to judge whether it sounded the same. And if the matrices are etched in the same handwriting it’s probably safe to assume.

24. Christophe Lethimonnier

StratNg likes this.
  25. Christophe Lethimonnier

Hi dear @ccous13

Welcome to our thread!

Yes I confirm, the matrix with the letter P were made by Marta ALVEAR. It is also a certainty! I'll be curious how it sounds!? Seems to be his first approach with Led Zeppelin's second album.

Christophe

multirock likes this.