Movies released pre-2000 with more than 1 version available

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by 64FALCON, Oct 4, 2022.

1. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Looks like that was done for a TV version.

Two-Minute Warning - Wikipedia
    On the Celluloid Chopping Block: TWO-MINUTE WARNING (1976) ~ Video Junkie Strikes Back from Beyond the Grave
    Apparently there's a Shout Factory Blu-ray that has both versions.

2. The TV network that aired the movie did this. They removed 40 minutes from the film and replaced it with footage shot nearly 2 years later. That meant they had to add 40 plus minutes of offstage to pad out the running time. Though it begs the question, why even buy the film for TV viewing and not use all that money to make a different film? Evidently NBC was a little concerned about the violent nature of the film They also did this (not quite as extreme) with For a Few Dollars more adding a prolog with Harry Dean Stanton shot by Director Monte Hellman.

3. 64FALCON

64FALCON Forum Resident Thread Starter

EARTHQUAKE (1974) has a "TV version" with lots of footage shot after the theatrical version wrapped; same with AIRPORT '79: THE CONCORDE and its "TV version".

Both movies were rated [PG] so it's not like there was loads of "objectionable content" to cut away from either film . . . but for whatever reason

ALSO: I forgot about SUPERMAN (1978) and SUPERMAN II (1980) having different versions floating around.

SUPERMAN III has a lengthier TV version, but I don't think that television version has ever been made available for sale.

However, there's definitely more than 1 version of "Superman" and "Superman II" that can be bought. However, I don't know if the "television versions" of either SUPERMAN or SUPERMAN II can be bought. Many moons ago I remember watching TV versions of "Superman" and "Superman II" and noting some footage I never saw in either theatrical version.

→ Here's a rather obscure drama from 1980 with 2 versions: CIRCLE OF TWO. It starred Richard Burton and Tatum O'Neal.

IN regards to "that thing you do!" and it's extended version: It's a LOT longer than the theatrical cut!

4. 64FALCON

With regard to STAR WARS (1977) I picked up about 15 years the 1982-release version issued by '20th Century Fox Video' and that's the only version of it I have.

There's just TOO DAMN MANY versions of STAR WARS to keep track of! → So I figured to find the earliest home video release I could and buy that edition and stop there.

Not buying any of the other, later VHS releases or any DVD releases or any Blu-Ray releases. I'll stick with the '82 tape and the version of "Star Wars" it contains until it self-destructs in my VCR. 'nuff said.

EDIT: Another movie with 3 extant versions of THE WICKER MAN (1973). Pick which version you like the most; I like the longest version the best.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2022
  5. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Blues Brothers

64FALCON likes this.
  6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

The Godfather...wish they would finally release the TV version.

jupiter8 and 64FALCON like this.
  7. Thr 1976 King Kong had nearly an hour’s worth of footage added to it for TV. Peter Jackson’s King Kong also had its extended version for both TV and DVD/Blu-Ray.

8. Michael

The Day After
    Theatrical
    TV

64FALCON likes this.
  9. Alien has two versions now-an alternate edit and the original theatrical. Ridley Scott considers the theatrical version to be his director’s cut.
    Aliens two version -the theatrical version (which Cameron was contractually obligated to provide) and a longer cut Which he was given money to f(Noah by Fox.
    Alien III-two versions. A “assembly cut” (since director David Fincher wouldn’t participate in a director’s cut) taking his notes, etc. to assemble something approximating a director’s cut and the theatrical version. There was another version but it’s essential the same as the assembly cut just with unfinished visual effects.
    Alien IV-both the original director’s assembly cut (with unfinished visual effects) and the theatrical.
    Touch of Evil-There’s three versions of the film one assembled in 1998 byWalter Murch used Welles notes and existing material to assemble as close as possible Welles original intended version. There’s also one discovered in 1976 that was longer than the theatrical cut and was rumored to be ( this turned out not to be true) Welles Director’s Cut plus we have the theatrical version.

of course Cameron’s “The Abyss”.

64FALCON likes this.
  10. I’ve never seen the TV versi0n do you know how it differs?

11. The Shining-The U.S. release differs (and was longer as I recall) from the U.K. Version trimmed.

The Exorcist with Friedkin’s altered version with tne spider walk scene plus the original theatrical cut.

5 versions of Welles Mr. Arkadin.

Justice League-Snyder’s much better version vs. Whedon’s horror.

5 version’s of Heaven’s Gate (the DC is the best version).

Last edited: Oct 7, 2022
    unclefred likes this.
  12. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

a few years back there was a blu-ray of the tv cut of the first Superman movie released - it’s also a “bonus” on a version of the film for sale on the iTunes Store

[​IMG]

Scopitone, 64FALCON and The Hud like this.
  13. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

There was a tv version of the great 1976 comedy “Car Wash” that was much different from the theatrical version. It almost completely cut out Antonio Fargas’s gay character and added in a whole other storyline with Danny DeVito that was cut from the finished film. They also altered some of the plot involving Melanie Mayron’s character. All the changes were pretty bad.

64FALCON likes this.
  14. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

After the massive success of “Saturday Night Fever” and its soundtrack Paramount released an edited PG version to theaters

[​IMG]

15. Michael

yes, it was available on VHS in the 80's I had a copy at one time...no foul language and was edited...: )

16. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Lots of the Toho Kaiju movies. Usually, not huge differences, but the original Gojira and Godzilla: King of the Monsters are 2 very different movies. I much prefer the Japanese original version.

17. Michael

Lethal Weapon 1-3
    Theatrical
    Directors Cut

64FALCON likes this.
  18. 64FALCON

In regards to SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER (1977) I made it a point years ago to buy the Paramount VHS release of [PG]-version. The 'regular' [R]-rated version was easy to find, but the [PG]-rated version was not issued by Paramount in large quantities so that was more of a challenge.

I taped the TV version many moons ago from TBS because I noted it contained 4 extra scenes not found in either theatrical version.

One of the disc releases of SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER contains at least a couple of "extra TV scenes" if I'm not mistaken; I don't know if *all* of the extra TV scenes are on the disc, but at least some of them are!

In the theatrical version when John Travolta endeavors to take Doreen (Denny Dillon) for a dance it cuts out the part where they dance to 'Disco Duck'. I have a memory of them dancing to 'Disco Duck' and then Monte the DJ puts on a song that Travolta says something like "We can't dance to this crap!" and Monte points out Stephanie dancing to it.

jupiter8 and mBen989 like this.
  19. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

There's a "director's cut" on BluRay. I believe it just incorporates the footage added when Fever was cut for a PG.

20. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

The Third Man has the original British version and the US edit with different openings, etc.

21. 64FALCON

If you were to have bought or rented the 1980s VHS releases of A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE (1951) from '20th Century Fox Video' or WARNER HOME VIDEO it would be the theatrical version, but by the 1990s the video releases of "Streetcar" from WARNER now had 4 minutes added back in to the film that were censored back in '51.

The video boxes from WARNER of the '90s releases mention this in the summary on the back of the box. I don't have "Streetcar" on DVD or Blu-Ray, but I'll guess it's the 'Restored' Version that is on the disc releases. Or maybe both versions are included on the digital releases?

22. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Hitchcock's VERTIGO has an extra ending with a radio broadcast reporting on Gavin Elster's pursuit by the law.

Hitchcock's STRANGERS ON A TRAIN has some extra scenes on the train.

64FALCON likes this.
  23. 64FALCON

I believe LOLITA (1962-UK) has 2 versions. The original American theatrical version + with the advent of homevideo the British version of LOLITA was made available over here and is about a minute longer than the American print.

Hitchcock's 1969 movie TOPAZ seems to have 2 versions. A 127-minute version and a 143-minute cut.

24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

A lot of people don't know about how many times the Star Wars films were remixed as well. Lots and lots and lots of times, often to fix problems and add in something that got left out. The Mono mix, the LtRt Dolby Surround mix, and the 6-track mix were all different, and then the later 5.1 mixes were different every time they re-released it.

McLover, BeatleJWOL, mBen989 and 3 others like this.
  25. Michael

Payback
    Theatrical
    Directors Cut...terrible.

Bob A. Gosselin and 64FALCON like this.