"Throw The 'Mats A Dime": The Replacements News & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Jul 18, 2019.

1. smitquest

smitquest Forum Resident

ah - thanks a million, WarEagleRK.

in that case, maybe this bump serves only to get a couple people to ask themselves "hey, speaking of chris mars - wonder how he's doin' these days?"

and that'd be FINE BY ME (hi, chris).

smitquest

2. Jason_Rhino

Jason_Rhino Forum Resident

Yes, we took 2022 off to give the fan base a moment to breathe and to figure out where we want to go next (which we're nearly there).

3. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Already excited for it. (Saying "can't hardly wait" seemed a bit too on the nose.)

4. morelikespace

morelikespace Forum Resident

That is the best news I can imagine!

SteveFff likes this.
  5. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

I needed time to breathe, so thank you for that! Just this weekend I was reorganizing some LPs and box sets, and noticed that the Sorry Ma box has yet to be opened up. :yikes:

I hope I'll be ready in tim for your next deluxe reissue box set. Oops, I meant "time"! :laugh:

6. Michael Macrone

Michael Macrone Forum Resident

Well, if you're right, then I'm so, I'm so … unsatisfied.

tstrapac and WarEagleRK like this.
  7. Jay Dee Gee

Jay Dee Gee Well-Known Member

I don’t care what is next, really. I’m just thankful something is coming and these releases are happening! Thanks Jason and the Rhino Team!

dee, SteveFff, TheLoveDrags and 4 others like this.
  8. Jason_Rhino

I think everyone will be very happy with the next phase of reissue activity.

9. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

This version of "Darlin' One" as-is sounds like something that would've been released in the mid '90s - like just the overall sound is perfect.

Jason_Rhino likes this.
  10. hitmanhart408

hitmanhart408 Forum Resident

sorry for the semi-off topic question/comment. Any chance of a Tommy's band "Perfect" reissue?? It needs some love otherwise it will wither away into the ether never to get a proper reissue.

11. dee

dee Senior Member

I can't wait for
    The Replacements Cover Everyone : The R&R Shambles

A deluxe live set.

Jay Dee Gee and Jason_Rhino like this.
  12. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

The live at the Roxy 1986 bootleg (I think that is the year) is one of those shows that at the time came off as a real ragged mess of covers, and now plays like a near masterpiece.

Actually, I think there are two shows at the Roxy that year, in different months.

I think licensing would be expensive if reissuing any of these performances on a legit label. I think boots are to remain boots for a good reason here.

A friend of mine got ahold of the original Maxell XLII cassettes from the Roxy shows (among others), and did remastering of these tapes on nice playback equipment. That was exciting to hear them played back just a few years ago. No baking was required. :laugh:

13. stoneknuckle

stoneknuckle Forum Resident

I'd be interested in knowing if "Hootenanny" plays into this series on an upcoming release.

I swear I read an interview with Westerberg years and years ago that lots of songs were recorded for that album that didn't get released.

14. Jason_Rhino

No (unfortunately). Not nearly as many finished outtake/unreleased songs as Paul would lead us to believe.

15. Jason_Rhino

How did you know this is what we're doing next? :D

TheLoveDrags, SteveFff, dee and 8 others like this.
  16. stoneknuckle

Thanks for the reply. I will be happy with whatever comes out from the archives, keep up the excellent work.

17. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Bummer. The two Hootenanny outtakes Peter Jesperson played on KFAI in 1983 were left off the 2008 Rhino reissue so it would be nice to see them get officially released somewhere, sometime.

18. Jason_Rhino

Oh I know. The issue is that there's not enough material to result in a huge box of the scale and scope of the previous deluxe boxes. Maybe it can see the light of day as a part of a smaller package one day, but for right now, it's not in the long term plan for the next few years (again, unfortunately).

19. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Maybe after you've released all the other possible deluxe editions, you can do a deluxe reissue of the Boink compilation album and make it a catch-all, barrel-scraping set including those two tracks, the few things omitted from some of the previous boxes, and any other stray tracks that don't fit elsewhere.

Or go all in like the Elvis FTD series, and release multi-CD sets containing every existing recording from each album session... ie, "The Hootenanny Session" with every single take of every song from those sessions. Yeah, I know that's not going to happen, but we would buy it.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2022
  20. stoneknuckle

Do you remember the song titles? I think I have some from that era that sound like they were taped from radio.

AlienRendel likes this.
  21. FuturisticWorkshop

FuturisticWorkshop Forum Resident

I think/hope Rhino puts out a Hootenanny + Stink deluxe box with some live gems from 1983 or so

22. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

They were Shoot Me, Kill Me (aka Sex With A Goat) and the band version of Don't Get Married (aka You're Getting Married). The Stink reissue only had the Westerberg demo of the latter song. I emailed Peter J. and asked him why they didn't include the full band version on the Hootenanny CD and he said "what band version?" He'd forgotten about it, even though he himself was the source of it being out there in the trading community.

23. Michael Macrone

Michael Macrone Forum Resident

Alas. Hootenanny is my second favorite ’Mats album. But so long as Let It Be gets the treatment sooner rather than later, I'll survive.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2022
    John Porcellino likes this.
  24. stoneknuckle

I thought that's what they were going to be, got 'em both, but would be nice to hear them upgraded.

Thanks!

DeeThomaz and czeskleba like this.
  25. FuturisticWorkshop

FuturisticWorkshop Forum Resident

Pete played “Sex with a Goat” on that show and I think “You’re Getting Married”. Maybe more too. I wonder if the Westy bootleg of his basement piano demos from ‘81-‘83 are the best of what’s out there or just what leaked. Anyone feel a pain in their head when they hear Westerberg talk about taping over his songs he’s written on cassette because he didn’t feel like finding a new one? That hurts. At least some came out in the I Don’t Cares. I’d love to see a Grandpaboy comp LP with the Bar/None EP, the single and stray tracks. It would sell well (I think)