What are the best sounding Jimi Hendrix CDs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Harlanator, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Inherent issues?

2. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

Pops, clicks etc. No matter how good the rig and stylus are these are never eliminated completely for vinyl. Yes sometimes you get a record really clean and destaticed (is that a word) perfectly and you get an ultra quiet super run through of a vinyl side side but one little hick up here or there and crackle/pop etc. Of course tape has its own drawbacks as well. No medium is perfect so far in my book. There is a saying in the tech world that with every advancement something is lost.

I would say that is true about audio advancements as well.

Digitally I think I prefer Blu Ray even over SACD these days but pick your poison in the analog world. Analog items such cassettes, Reel to Reels and even Laserdiscs are showing aging problems that Vinyl simply doesn't have but at least its analog...... you can recover reels and cassettes as well I would assume any type of magnetic tape if needed via baking or there is another far more complicated method anadialog posts on youtube regarding cassettes. If Laserdiscs have the rot though nothing you can do about it. Something about MCAs tape formulations in the late 90s make those EH 97ish tapes a pain to get running well again. Every one I have has had to have some work done to them to get them to play well again.

3. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

EH seems to have all of the mono master tapes except STP w/ LSD (which still sounds like the Track 45 - poor quality) and the AYE album-only tracks (for which they have been relying on a poor quality copy tape used for the original US Reprise LP). The "Stone Free" mono master was found some time ago and used for an RSD 45.

French Barclay pressings of the "missing" mono masters rival the rest of the mono masters in quality, but the tapes used for them are either missing or EH is not aware of them. High quality needledrops are available in the wild that can be slipped into playlists as substitutes.

And the Prof Stoned fan download has even more and it sounds a lot better and it's not fake stereo.

One of the worst EH releases.

rnranimal, DTK, ricks and 5 others like this.
  4. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

If you were referring to the BBC material I still lean towards the Douglas Rykodisc CD soundwise over my EH '98 2CD Set.

Man at C&A likes this.
  5. Swansong

Swansong From Planet Earth

Except for my bootlegs, and a few Dagger discs, I got rid of all my Hendrix CD’s. I have it all on vinyl, which is how I like to enjoy Jimi. The most recent versions are just so harsh, and incredibly fatiguing that I had to let them go.

6. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

That picture looks like a 3" CD single, but you're referring to a minidisc? Would you clarify, please?

7. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

And, fake stereo.

8. Experiencereunited

It is a 3" CD single that reads fine on any CD player.

Anthrax likes this.
  9. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Unfortunately it's a fan comp all the way for me for the BBC material. True mono, sounds great and contains some intros (and one promo announcement) that it'd never heard on any official release. The only thing that sounds wonky is a take of "Drivin' South" that (to date) only exists as an off the air recording (at least, as far as we know).

10. AudioCoke

AudioCoke Forum Resident

So I’ve run into a brick wall trying to EQ the non-RE1 Reprise AYE, using the advice of our host.

I’m a Mac user using Audacity; and in the version of Audacity I have, there are no 3k or 6k sliders in the Graphic EQ section. Instead, there is a 3.15k slider and a 6.3k slider. Does anyone know of any workarounds to this? Would it make any significant difference for the EQ of AYE if I just work with those sliders? Or do I have to seek out an alternative software to use? This will also be helpful to know when the non-RE1 Reprise ELL I have on the way arrives.

I guess ultimately, I’m wondering how much of a difference mere decimals make in adjusting EQ.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2023
  11. Jack_Straw

Jack_Straw Forum Resident

I would think that would be close enough. Most people probably couldn’t tell the difference between 3k and 4k, let alone a 0.15 or 0.30 difference. Besides, there is a slope attached to it - the surrounding frequencies are affected too, so the difference would be pretty insignificant.

12. Talpa

Talpa ourmaninthesouth

did i ever reply to this..sorry bout that [and my original reply is an outlier because it's a live LP]

The Jimi Hendrix Concerts The Jimi Hendrix Concerts - Wikipedia
    LP released 1982; CD in 1989

alchemy likes this.
  13. SilverBottomSavior

SilverBottomSavior Forum Resident

I love the versions on the "Concerts" album, and the fact that Douglas was smart enough to make it sound consistent (something EH seemingly has no interest in). But I don't like the way he achieved that - with excessive fake crowd noise and reverb and the very narrow mixing. So it's a bit of a let down as an album in that regard, but certainly an excellent entry point into Hendrix's performances, at least more-so than anything EH has put out.

DTK, ricks, bluesbro and 2 others like this.
  14. ricks

ricks Senior Member

I'm not MAC knowledgeable but are there apps/utils other than Audacity?

15. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Radio One? I do too. I don't care much that's it's fake stereo. It's crisp and flows nicely. And it was one of the first Hendrix cds I picked up, so there's that. The EH set is painful.
    Obviously it's good to have the Professor's edition with the best sources, but for casual listening I'll grab Radio One.

16. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

A bit oddly sequenced and could’ve used the two remaining songs (Window and Little Miss Lover) but a good listen.

DTK likes this.
  17. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

This is correct. There is at least one grey market comp that sounds amazing, shouldn't be hard to find. I don't know if sharing name is ok since its "grey market." Jimi Hendrix "The Peel Sessions" got an official UK release and is said to be from original BBC tapes and is in mono. Radio One and both incarnations of BBC Sessions don't live up to the original mono on fan releases/grey market.

jhm likes this.
  18. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

Ate you speaking of "The Peel Sessions" on the Strange Fruit Label?

1 Radio 1 Theme 1:18
    2 Day Tripper 3:18
    3 Wait Until Tomorrow 2:55
    4 Hear My Train A Comin' 5:02
    5 Spanish Castle Magic 3:06

Artist: The Jimi Hendrix Experience
    Recorded for Top Gear: 15th December, 1967
    First transmission: 24th December 1967
    Released by arrangement with Are You Experienced? Ltd.

This is one of a series of original recordings made for The John Peel Show on Radio 1. Strange Fruit Records is grateful for the cooperation of the artistes, record companies, music publishers and of course to Peely and his producer John Walters.
    Released by arrangement with BBC Records and Tapes
    ℗1988 BBC Enterprises Ltd
    ©1988 Strange Fruit Records
    Successfully distributed by Pinnacle Records.
    Insert: Manufactured in Gt. Britain.
    CD: Made in U.K.

19. Experiencereunited

I didnt realize there was a cd release of this one. The vinyl version is 45 RPM which is nice

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  20. Gordon Johnson

Neither are that good. At least the EH set pulled more BBC material together. Dropping them to mono really helps the listening.

21. Gordon Johnson

And not edited the Brian Matthew intro!

22. Gordon Johnson

Please say, I've yet to hear any boot or so called grey market Hendrix BBC that is as good as the fan comps, especially the original fan comp (though it does require update).

Is the Peel session release true mono or mastered to mono? I seem to recall it used the same tapes as the Radio One Douglas set.

23. Experiencereunited

I thought it was true mono but I never have compared it to the fan comp. The vinyl sounds pretty good to my ears. No idea about the CD.

24. Gordon Johnson

I have the vinyl and a rip of the CD. I never listened to the CD bar some sample listing for timings/content.

I'd be interested to know what makes you think it is true mono. The rear cover features a shot of the Douglas release too, which adds doubt to thinking this is true mono.

Edit: Just pulled the album and checked the detail. This Peel release is as stated "Released by arrangement with Are You Experienced? Ltd." Douglas only had access to the simulated to stereo material reels. Makes me lean toward the Peel release simply being summed to mono at the mastering stage.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2023
    Experiencereunited likes this.
  25. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

I have a feeling that’s why he left it off. The Fire intro was short and he chopped off the Purple Haze one. Little Miss Lover was more of a deep dive but just the kind of thing that should’ve made it.