Dune to be directed by Denis Villeneuve (Sicario, Arrival, Blade Runner 2049)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Jan 7, 2017.

1. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

That's about right. I never paid to watch it, but frankly if you stick around after that opening (I did) you deserve everything that follows. Nothing like the book and nothing like a Lynch movie. I'm talking about atmosphere/tone and narrative style. Lynch was way, way out of his comfort zone with sci-fi.

2. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

It reminded me of a David Lean epic.

3. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I wasn't bored the first or second viewing (the pickup viewing) but it is a bit tedious on a third viewing. Sorta the emo-version of Dune. I'm sure the pace will pick up.

Phillip Walch likes this.
  4. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Where does the Villeneuve version end?

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  5. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

misterdecibel likes this.
  6. Slackhurst Broadcasting

Slackhurst Broadcasting Forum Resident

I really don't remember much about Villeneuve's Dune. Lynch's might have been unintelligible, but it wasn't forgettable.

7. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

Maybe your memory is not what it used to be.

8. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

I'd have to disagree with that.
    Lynch has since forever had a favorite project (still unfulfilled) called Ronny Rocket which is supposed to be sci fi oriented, where he was out of his element is the complexities of the story itself.
    Heck, Twin Peaks is basically sci fi, and if you look at that series as a whole you can see how the 'sci fi' elements changed in the third season, his body of work as a whole morphed to some degree over the years which is normal given an artist going through life and changes, etc.

It would be very interesting if given free reign and time what he could actually do with a Dune story, especially now.

Having been exposed to the Dune story over the years it has kind of lost it's unique aspects to me.
    I find myself having a real hard time envisioning these sand worms existing on any planet at any scale given that they are supposed to live in sand, I mean c'mon how the heck does a creature deal with a mega belly full of sand every time it opens it's mouth while surfacing? How does it see when below?
    Would it really navigate beneath a desert full of sand so well? Could it actually sense footfall in sand from miles away?

It's been awhile but maybe the book addresses these hurdles, IDK.
    Then there's the Ornithopters, watching them navigate around in this movie I would have a hard time feeling safe at all to be aboard one of those things (flapping blades, really?).
    Oh well.

9. misterdecibel

I don't think the sand in a desert is anywhere near deep enough to have larger-than-a-blue-whale-sized creatures swimming around in it.

What really scares me about the ornithopters is the absence of computers.

slipkid and ubiknik like this.
  10. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Science is the adjective. Fiction is the noun.

11. Good question, but I believe the Butlerian Jihad led to the belief that you “Shall not make a Machine in the likeness of a Human Mind” (i.e. AI), not no computers, but the books never really clarified what was allowed and what was not.

12. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

Sand worms move by rapidly consuming and excreting sand - where do you think those little worm casts on the beach come from. You can look into the feasibility or not of scaling up such biology to the Dune sized worms, but its a fairly "real world" extrapolation for a sci-fi story.

13. Drew

Drew Senior Member

What do sandworms eat? I'll ask the God Emperor the next time i have audience.

ubiknik likes this.
  14. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

Loud people.

MrCJF and mr. steak like this.
  15. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

Good film - although I must say i admired it rather than genuinely loved it.

16. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

17. MikaelaArsenault

18. MikaelaArsenault

19. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Great description. I felt that way but couldn't articulate it perfectly like that, but that is how it felt to me.

I sure hope so.

20. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Which is also why there were Mentats.

JohnK

Plan9 likes this.
  21. misterdecibel

...and Spacing Guild Navigators.

They certainly wouldn't have the sorts of motion sensors, active gyros and microprocessors necessary to make something as awkward as an ornithopter work.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2022
  22. MikaelaArsenault

23. MikaelaArsenault

24. MikaelaArsenault

25. The Fragile Mollusk

The Fragile Mollusk Active Member

Really liked it. But it does feel like half of a story, since, well, it is. The acting could've been better but they hit most of the points I wanted to from the film. Wish they touched on the family politics and cultures in the beginning more. Maybe explained the Bene Gesserit better. Here's hoping Part 2 has more world-building! :)