New Line Magnetic 508ia Integrated Amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by GoldprintAudio, May 20, 2016.

1. Pedro Guillemain

Pedro Guillemain PLGA

I'm not a big fan of the Mullard ECC35, so I'm not willing to spend the money asked for the ECC32. Don't get me wrong, the ECC35 is a nice tube, but I believe there are better and cheaper options for the 6SL7 slot on the LM508. Of course regarding my sepakers, taste, room, system and valves synergy, etc etc.

Nevertheless, as a lot of people "rave" on Mullard tubes, the CV6 and EL32 options are much reasonable in price to try. How would you describe their sound? Would you recomend them considering the best ones you have tried on the 6SN7 slots? I know this is personal taste and dependant on many variables, but it would help us to know your opinion.

Also, if you think theyt are worth to try, we would appreciate if you could send us the link for the adapters as the ones on the pictures seem leaned 45 degrees to fit on the Lm508.

2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

You're misunderstanding.

You already have ECC32s so use one in the 6SL7 slot while using other tubes such as the ECC31s in the 6SN7 slots. :)

3. tlowe

tlowe Life Explorer

No, I dont have an ECC32, haven't bought any. I only have ECC31, ECC33, ECC34 and ECC35.

4. tlowe

tlowe Life Explorer

Check seller ID, xulingmrs, at Ebay for adapters.

Pedro Guillemain likes this.
  5. Pedro Guillemain

Pedro Guillemain PLGA

Ok. Thanks.

But, are Mullard CV6 and EL32 worth on your opinion?

Maybe a dumb question, but to be sure. Are they fully compatible replacements for the 6SN7?

6. Strat-Mangler

Ah, my mistake. I misread "EL32" as "ECC32". :(

Between the ECC34 AND ECC31, which one of the 2 do you feel sounds better? How does it sound better?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2022
  7. CarmineRed

CarmineRed I promise I'm very nice in person

I saw single EML 300b's for sale, I think ebay or usaudiomart.

What do those feet do? Do they have springs in them? I was going to use some Herbies under mine, sent him an email to ask which ones he recommends.

8. CarmineRed

Between rolling tubes, NFB settings, and new speakers, I totally forgot to play around with the ohm options on the back!

Had been using 8 for my last speakers but changed to 4ohm for my new Tannoy Ardens and wow......nice change, soundstage expanded and things got a bit lusher and more dimensional.

Have gone back and forth between 3 and 2 on the NFB settings though and think I like the forwardness of 3.

timind likes this.
  9. Pedro Guillemain

Pedro Guillemain PLGA

Thanks for the tip, but I'm not sure I will ever buy EML again.

These feet isolate the gear from vibrations coming from underneath. I tried them on some parts of my digital rig and now I have them all over the place! They are very good for improving SQ at a reasonable cost, better than Vibrapods at the same cost, and much nicer looking.

10. Pedro Guillemain

Pedro Guillemain PLGA

It's incredible how synergy is system dependant. I have the opposite case. My speakers are 3.8 ohm at the lowest point and I prefer the 8 ohms binding posts.

CarmineRed likes this.
  11. CarmineRed

How do they isolate vibrations?

What's in there that's providing dampening?

12. Pedro Guillemain

Pedro Guillemain PLGA

I have no idea how the tech inside works.

They have two pieces and one goes upon the other only with a minimum of contact, like a speaker spike. They are from aluminum I think.

If you are curious, try them on a lighter device than the LM508. They are cheap, about 16 bucks for four of them. Then, if you like the results, buy more and share your experience with us.

I have them all over the place. Three more sets of four feet about to arrive for my subs and some LPS. I've been working lately on isolating different parts of the system with great results.

13. Strat-Mangler

It's the opposite. Closer to 1 is more forward while closer to 4 is more laid back.

14. CarmineRed

Ugghhhh you're right! 2 is where I'm at right now, it's more forward than 3.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  15. tlowe

tlowe Life Explorer

My apology, cant talk about the worthiness or sonic, too many factors and a matter of personal preferences.
    You just have to explore them yourself and enjoy the journey.

Tips: It is crucial that you study the datasheet of the tube you are rolling, understanding the specs as well as the pin out arrangement. Just google and you will find most datasheet easily on the web.

16. Strat-Mangler

@tlowe no idea if you saw my previous msg. Wondering whether the ECC31 or 34 is best in your opinion.

17. tlowe

tlowe Life Explorer

Again, my sincere apology, cant talk about what is best as you know why. I like both, just slightly different presentation on different tracks n genre.

18. CarmineRed

I am losing whats left of my hair........

I'm getting static/buzzing when you get close to my Tannoy's that are hooked up to my LM805. I have taken the whole system apart 3 times now trying to figure out if it's something else in the system that's causing a ground loupe but can't figure it out. If I take the amp and plug it into another room and speakers it's much quieter but still there, if I plug only it up into my audio room then I still get the noise, so I think it's the electrical in my room or could still be something with the unit? It's a bit quieter if it's the only thing plugged into the room but the noise is still there. Once I plug in my streamer, dac, turntable etc, I get a bit louder noise from no matter which input I use. Ive also tried a ground lifter/noise filter and plugged various things into it and still get the noise

Any ideas?

19. Paxpax

Paxpax Member

I always have noise floor with tubes on my 94db speakers, was there a time when tubes and Tannoy where silent?

What dac are you using? I got a high noise floor dac and I can clearly tell when it's muted to differentiate dac vs amp noise floor.

I just bought a puritan 156 conditioner, and although it seems to benefit the system making it play always like on a good day the LM noise floor is always there, that's just that with tubes and efficient speakers... (I will report back when the puritan finish the 2 weeks break in)

You could try the hum balancers I suppose to see if they mae any difference....

20. jmpsmash

jmpsmash Forum Resident

Which Tannoy? In general, high power tube amps have background static. Some have more, some have less. And the problem is worse when plugged into sensitive speakers. That's why ppl who very super sensitive 100dB/W speaker need to pick their amp properly.

The LM805 isn't the most noisy nor is it the quietest. If you have 90dB+ speakers likely you will hear some static when placing ear close to the speakers.

Ground loop usually don't cause static but instead hum or buzz.

If you believe it is power is the issue, you can move the speakers from the other room and isolate it that way.

My guess is that it is not the power but the speakers you attaching the 805IA to.

21. Strat-Mangler

You're getting a noise when you get close to the speakers or are you trying to say that there's a sound you hear the closer you get to the speakers? Those are 2 different situations.

timind likes this.
  22. AP1

AP1 Forum Resident

First - disconnect all signal wires from amplifier. Only leave speakers connected. Do you hear noise/buzz still? Turn volume all way down. Do you still hear noise? Is noise in one or both speakers?

Come with answers and let's move from there.

23. CarmineRed

Thank you everyone, they are Arden's so they are 93db.

You can hear the sound from the seating position at times when it's really quiet and hear it quite a bit more as you get closer to the speaker. I've tried unplugging the DAC, the streamer etc. at one point I was getting more noise with the streamer hooked up but it's been isolated now. It is static sound, used to get a buzzing but I fixed that with some cable management and I'm guessing the static sound was always there in the background. I hooked up a class D amp and it's as quiet as it gets.

24. CarmineRed

Done that, noise is from both speakers even with just the speakers connected no inputs.

25. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

When used as an integrated amp (not feeding with preamp line in) I found the LM805 to be fairly quiet while driving DeVore O/96's (10 ohm, 96dB) speakers. However after running the power through a toroidal balanced transformer the noise floor dropped dramatically lower. I use the Equi=Core 1000 with excellent results. Any other conditioner I've used (including PS Audio's Power Regenerators) completely sucked the dynamics out of the system.

The noise floor was slightly higher for me while feeding the line in with a VAC preamp but still highly enjoyable. The SQ is even a tad improved with the VAC preamp albeit with a tad higher noise floor. I enjoy using the amp both ways.