Doctor Who Episodes - Official News from The BBC*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by TheLazenby, Jun 18, 2013.

1. indigovic

indigovic (Taylor’s Version)

Though I had noticed that all the Blu-ray Collections mention that they contain a PDF document archive when accessed as a Blu-ray data disc, I always assumed it’d be a fairly small amount of content. I recently learned that Richard Bignell posts content listings for them on his Twitter, and… wow. They’re thousands upon thousands of pages. For example, here’s Season 14:

[​IMG]

You can find all these listings on the pages for each collection at The Millennium Effect – Exploring the worlds of the Whoniverse

Someone on another forum added up the page count for the first 12 sets (up through the upcoming Season 2), and came up with 41,936 pages!

deadbirdie, Shawn, EwaWoowa and 3 others like this.
  2. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Picked up the newest set of Colin Baker's 1st season. Twin Dilemma is not included, so presumably that will be on Peter Davison's 3rd season set.

Curveboy and Shawn like this.
  3. If I only had a Blu-ray drive - and the software to run it - on my PC.

4. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

I was grousing about this on another forum. Leave it to the BBC to be anally "season-centric", rather than Doctor oriented. There was really no reason to leave out Twin Dilemma from Colin Baker Season 1, especially if you market these collections in the US as DOCTOR x SEASON y. One would not expect a doctor transition within a boxset. What will they do when they get around to the season shared by the 1st and 2nd doctor? Will they market it as WILLIAM HARTNELL SEASON 4/PATRICK TROUGHTON SEASON 1? So stupid.

5. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

This was my opinon as well.

longdist01 likes this.
  6. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Releasing by seasons makes perfect sense. The problem is the American released have been stupidly re-titled as Tom Baker Season One instead of Doctor Who Season Twelve, etc.

honkydrum, Shawn, mBen989 and 3 others like this.
  7. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

Understood, but to the average person off the street here, the show comes off as "Doctor" centric, not season-centric. Maybe the solution should have been making the releases tailored to the regional expectation.
    But honestly, if all seasons were to be released it's just Seasons 4 and 21 that have this issue. Out of curiosity, what do you think they should do with The Five Doctor's special; it's technically not part of Season 20. Ought they release it separately?

8. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Didn't even realize they were differnt in the UK!

9. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

I imagine it will be on the season 20 set despite not being part of that or any season. A dedicated release is not out of the question, but I suspect 20.

Curveboy likes this.
  10. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Shawn, Curveboy, davenav and 2 others like this.
  11. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

I have serious doubts, but hopefully some rumored 'private hand' footage or missing episodes could surface in next 5 years or less...not suggesting it's real...you never know what's still tucked away in attic or loft somewhere?!?

12. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Well, we know that Web of Fear #3 is still out there. Hopefully someone can pay whatever ransom it's being held for.

davenav and longdist01 like this.
  13. indigovic

Sure… now that they’ve just released the first Blu-ray set that has missing episodes that haven’t already been animated (Season 2, “The Crusade”). I mean, I’ll be happy to buy a separate Blu-ray of that one if they animate it, but still, it would have been nice to keep the Blu-ray boxes definitive.

Flynbryan and longdist01 like this.
  14. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Yeah, every Doctor Who release series has run so slow, the format is obsolete before it finishes, unfortunately. And I feel like if I don't buy the Hartnell set, it won't get an updated release later. At least it hasn't actually come out in the US yet.

Shawn and longdist01 like this.
  15. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Hoping it has 'The Chase' with the Fabs footage in US release Blu-Ray set!

Curveboy likes this.
  16. Not a fan of colorizing b&w at all, and I can’t understand why the BBC would spend money on it for 60’s Who. And of all things left to animate they go with The Smugglers?

Yeah, I’m grumpy today.

longdist01 and EwaWoowa like this.
  17. Comicsanstombstone

Comicsanstombstone Forum Resident

Colorizing seems daft. Do they imagine it'll make older episodes palatable to a young audience? They'll still have to contend with the pace.

18. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

My wife is 36 and she refuses to watch anything in b&w, because she didn't grow up in the era when they still showed b&w stuff on tv. I'm old enough to remember when they still ran b&w films on network tv, and even had a b&w zenith portable in my room. Sometimes when watching the Pertwee episodes that had to be re-colorized, I wish I had the option of viewing in black and white, because that's how I remember watching them on PBS.

longdist01 and Andy Smith like this.
  19. AngusStanley

AngusStanley Forum Resident

That Beatles clip was in the promo for the set wasn’t it?

20. Still have the VHS of The Chase as it still has that footage.
    Not that I'm a fan of the Beatles.
    I just wanted the episode as broadcast.
    Not that I can play a VHS tape at home these days.

longdist01 likes this.
  21. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

22. indigovic

Uff. That article!

Note the bottom of the article shows the original source:
    Doctor Who missing episodes are "out there", says TV archive boss | Radio Times

The only relevant quotes from Chris Perry in the original source are these:
    ‘[Perry] said it is "very likely" that more lost episodes will be recovered in the future… "We know where there is missing Doctor Who out there but the owners won’t return it at the moment," he revealed.’

It’s pretty clear that Perry is referring to the handful of episodes that Paul Vanezis and Philip Morris first talked about a couple of years ago, but the CBR article mentions that there are 97 episodes and then says “Perry claimed that he and his team were aware of the location of the missing episodes,” like it’s all 97. It’s not.

There’s no news here—just sloppy reporting.

23. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Totally agree. Complete waste of time reading it.

24. indigovic

There’s actually an even worse recycling of the Radio Times article out there, by The Independent; I won’t link to it because they don’t deserve any clicks. In their summary—which again, has no source other than the Radio Times piece—they explicitly say that Chris Perry is referring to “dozens” of episodes and even claim that he said they are all “known to exist in some form.” (Though Perry did not say that in the Radio Times piece, it is technically true, as they all exist in the form of off-air audiotapes… but that’s certainly not what they apparently want you to think they’re saying.)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2023
    longdist01 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  25. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Thank @MikaelaArsenault I do know that 'Classic' era Doctor Who has some scattered 'Missing Episodes' out there...now whether complete or a couple short sections left after all this time (decades really!) will help fill in gaps for Hartnell or Troughton era - it still frozen in rumors!

I'm in no hurry, just have to patiently wait even longer for stuff to happen or these collectors to at least allow a cess at some time and place!

beccabear67 and MikaelaArsenault like this.