The Joni Mitchell Archives/Remasters Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Jun 30, 2020.

1. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

It would be nice if they shipped out the correct CD to those bought it from other sites. That's they did for Elton John's Madman 50th anniversary Blu-Ray.

2. And Bowie’s Heroes and Richard and Linda Thomason’s Hard Luck Stories and Porcupine Tree’s In Absentia.
    I’m sure that’s what they’ll do.

3. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Will this be the same for EU and US copies?

EG.

4. Merlinmordo

Merlinmordo Member

Yes, just received my copy, in uk, I believe made in Germany. Obviously whoever mastered the tapes has made a mistake, hopefully Rhino will reissue corrected discs worldwide.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  5. Merlinmordo

Merlinmordo Member

Also, and this is for the uk/European set, the printing/production seems a bit sub par, For the Roses is extremely washed out, very pale, comparing it with the Studio Albums set from a few years ago. Court and Spark and Hissing seem ok, but again, Miles seems washed out slightly.

6. djwkyoto

djwkyoto Forum Resident

I haven't yet received my set, but the "For The Roses" cover has always been pale and washed out looking, like a photograph that had been lying in the sun too long. I can compare the cover to an original LP when the boxset arrives.

ciderglider likes this.
  7. Merlinmordo

Merlinmordo Member

Just to be complete (!) I have retrieved the original lp, 90s cd, studio box cd and the new one! Yes the photograph is very washed out, on the lp, 90s(not as washed though)and the new one. I think the reason it was noticeable to me, is that I recently listened to the studio edition, and the cover is darker, the greens more lush, probably saturation. One would have thought being a remaster, they might have tried to get hold of the original negatives, because artistically it isn’t a very good reproduction, unless of course Joni likes the washed out look!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2022
    djwkyoto likes this.
  8. jlf

jlf Forum Resident Thread Starter

The label is working out a replacement strategy

aphexj, adamos, Eric_Generic and 5 others like this.
  9. sharkshark

sharkshark ThatShelf

...I contacted Warner but doubt it was the right contact list (haven't heard anything back) - do you guys know who to bug about potential replacement discs for the vinyl sets, and if it's different for WB Canada? Anyone else hear the distortion I'm getting on the right channel?

10. sharkshark

sharkshark ThatShelf

Bought a -third- copy from Amazon - same issue with the "crunch" at end of title track on Court/Spark, and pressing (like the other two) is dished.

Fun times.

So, again, any one know who best to contact at WB?

11. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

My box came Wednesday and has been spinning pretty much since then. My records have no defects. I thought I heard some extra noise on side 2 of For the Roses, but on a second play, nope. This is a great set!

12. sharkshark

sharkshark ThatShelf

Just double check if you don't mind, end of track one/side one of Court and Spark.

Can you also let me know matrices? There may be pressing differences from U.S./Canada

13. Chromatica

Chromatica Forum Resident

For all of those who wanted to rip their CD copies of Court and Spark, you can follow the steps through the link below to trim out the double track:

How to Trim Songs on iTunes | Synonym

ciderglider likes this.
  14. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

Side subject - but I love the song Help Me and it’s such a shame it’s not on Miles Of Aisles.
    Listening to bootleg live versions on streaming sites - there’s a really good one from 1983 that some albums claim is Budokan and others Paris and others Sydney. Anyone know? I’d love to get an official released live version of Help Me from Joni in her prime.

15. jlf

Just posted on Joni Mitchell’s official website, confirms the sources for the box set. (@SRC )

19 OCT
    New 'For The Roses' vinyl releases

[​IMG]
    On October 28, Rhino will mark the 50th anniversary of Joni Mitchell’s 1972 album ‘For The Roses’ with a new black vinyl reissue available at all retailers. An aqua blue pressing will follow on November 11. The color variant is an Amazon exclusive in the US, and will be available at various independent record stores in other territories.

Previously available only in the recent ‘Asylum Albums 1972-1975’ box set, the remastered album will now be available on its own, using the same sources as the box set. The records were cut by Bernie Grundman directly from the original analog master tapes, and both variations of ‘For The Roses’ are pressed at Optimal, as the ‘Asylum Albums’ box set was.

US links: Black vinyl - Blue vinyl. For other territories, contact your favorite record store for order details.

16. sharkshark

sharkshark ThatShelf

yeah, confirmed that all these will be individually pressed, I'm holding out for a Court and Spark by sometime mid-next year to replace the one in my box :)

Aegir likes this.
  17. kmk pdx

kmk pdx Forum Resident

There are recordings of Joni playing Help Me in 83 from all 3 places, the best of which imho is from Sydney. She also performed it in '74 during shows recorded for Miles of Aisles, and in her abbreviated '76 tour. Hopefully her archives won't miss the opportunity to release these in the near future.

raphph likes this.
  18. teag

teag Forum Resident

Hopefully all. Or just For the Roses? Is it stated somewhere it’s all 4 LPs?

Four AAA great LPs for $120 or less. Nice deal compared to you know what for one title at $125.

Further likes this.
  19. sharkshark

sharkshark ThatShelf

Yeah, my understanding from WB Canada is every title in both boxes will be solo released

teag likes this.
  20. jlf

Big surprise tomorrow…

Percy Song, CBackley, zuma11 and 7 others like this.
  21. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

The Sydney one sounds like the Budokan one with heavy compression - are you sure they aren't the same mislabeled? They sound it!
    But thanks for info

22. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I hope it's the next Archive set!

23. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

excite!!!

24. chrisblower

chrisblower Norfolk n'good

Unless they autotune it somehow, it won't be the one from Wembley '74.

kmk pdx likes this.
  25. jlf