Things Hollywood has been doing wrong for years.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JBStephens, Sep 3, 2016.

1. Uncle Meat

Uncle Meat Forum Resident

Product Placement in movies
    Why spend millions making a movie, then intentionally ruin it ?

2. mavisgold

mavisgold Senior Member

$$

MrGrumpy likes this.
  3. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Think of it this way: Maybe some of the money they made from product placement helped finance the picture that got ruined by the products placed within it.

MrGrumpy likes this.
  4. Uncle Meat

Art, as far as I am concern, either works or it does not work.
    The whole purpose of product placement, is to draw attention to the product, and away from the story at hand (and it does do that, and it is ANNOYING as hell).
    It has nothing to do with the movie at hand.
    Of course, they sometimes rewrite the script, to fit the product (this doesn't help at all, pretty obvious at times).
    This is a problem with movies as well as TV series.
    I REALLY resent being advertised to, despite the fact that I am purchasing the ticket or paying for a movie.
    Think of it this way, that MAYBE more people would sit and watch a movie,and thus it would make more money, if there wasn't product placement in them in the first place.
    I have never gone to a movie, and thought, OH BOY, more product placement, I can't wait.

If I was control of the universe, which I am not, they would be allowed to do this, ONLY when at the beginning of a movie/TV serious, they would have to post in HUGE letters before the show starts, EXACTLY who paid for product placement, so you would know what you are getting for your money.
    We are being taken advantage of......and I don't like it.

5. PonceDeLeroy

PonceDeLeroy Forum Resident

Not sure how product placement works. I never see a show and think "Boy, I'd like a Dr Pepper like Tom Hanks has in Cast Away!"

sthorntn likes this.
  6. tonyballz

tonyballz Roogalator

Being a cop isn't just a job, it's a sacred calling for life like the priesthood. If working as a policeman starts to suck, you can't just quit and get a different job.

PonceDeLeroy and Shawn like this.
  7. What are some movies that have been “ruined” by product placement?

MrGrumpy likes this.
  8. Uncle Meat

Tons...a shorter list would be which ones havent been

9. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I don't get all the hatred regarding "product placement" in either TV shows or movies. Actually, I prefer that the sets are filled with name brand items, just like real life. Looking at my current view, I see an HP logo on my screen , computer tower, and printer. A TDK logo on a blank CD. a Diet Pepsi logo on my beverage, a Chase Bank logo on a pen, etc.

In fact, when I see a TV show where someone sits down for some breakfast cereal, and the box says something like "WHEAT POPPIES" that doesn't exist in real life, it takes me out of the moment as I know it's fake. I'd much rather see a real box of WHEATIES or WHEAT CHEX than look at something really fake.

There's been a similar sentiment expressed in the current JEOPARDY thread, and I don't understand the hatred. Commercials are a fact of life and pay for much of what we see. It's a lot easier to just accept them. Look away if you must - go grab another beverage - go to the bathroom - check your phone for the latest update on the world.

mbd40 and MrGrumpy like this.
  10. Uncle Meat

Or just vote with your feet, don't give them your hard earned money to begin with.
    Bullet Train had tons of product placement in it :realmad:

11. HGN2001

I'd like to understand this anger you have. Tell me a product placement in BULLET TRAIN that has you so enraged.

12. Uncle Meat

Just search the web... it was like two hour commercial for a water bottle among other things...and BLATANT about it...
    Brad Pitt must need the money
    I go to the movies to get away from commercials, not to be a unwilling captive audience

13. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

I go to movies for a lot of reasons but to 'escape commercials' has never been one of them.

PonceDeLeroy likes this.
  14. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

At least the Italians had class, their product was J&B Scotch!

The Ever Present J&B in Giallo Films

it must not have worked though because I have a copy of almost all of those films and Scotch is something I don't drink often.

Jazzmonkie likes this.
  15. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

Thinking that Sacheen Littlefeather was actually an Indian.

16. HGN2001

I asked for your specific problem with a product placement. Google will only give me lists. If a real product is in a movie, unless an actor faces the camera and starts hawking the product, I don't see what the problem is.

kouzie and MrGrumpy like this.
  17. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

• Flooding the market with an endless stream of superhero/comic book movies
    • Political message > storytelling

18. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Boys don't make passes at girls who wear glasses.

19. Uncle Meat

WHY do you think they put the product in there to begin with ? And I have already answered that question way back at the beginning of this, because it takes your attention away from the movie (and this is why they pay the big bucks for product placement because it does draw your attention, it is designed to do exactly that), it is like putting a huge stop sign right in the middle of a plot line, and even worse, sometimes they rewrite the movie to include the products, which they clearly did in Bullet Train.....

If it doesn't bother you, that is fine....I have no problem with that, It bothers me a lot (obviously), though I don't see a quick solution to it, except for producers and/or the other participants to stand their ground...
    I know the movie business is about money, nothing new

20. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Apologies if this has already come up, but cold-weather scenes in which you can't see the character's breath.

CDFanatic and EdgardV like this.
  21. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

That's a good one.

22. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

When a character has a nightmare and they bolt upright, eyes wide open in shock and sweating. Never happens in real life.

mbd40 likes this.
  23. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

Since you're devoid of examples, I'll give you one for free. Sony movies feature Sony computers. Why? They'd be daft to give free publicity to a rival. Maybe characters drank a ton of Coke when that company owned Columbia? But if things like this trigger you, then you're probably better off staring at a wall.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  24. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Maybe not eyes wide open, but I've had nightmares while sitting up in bed and having to be shaken awake.

EdgardV likes this.
  25. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

You understand some people like their jobs, right?