Things Hollywood has been doing wrong for years.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JBStephens, Sep 3, 2016.

1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Pretty sure my colleagues who got suspended after being accused of misdeeds didn't view it as a "vacation" or anything enjoyable.

Lightworker likes this.
  2. Oatsdad

Having real-life products in TV/movies is good. It was always a distraction when characters would use fictitious products.

The problem comes when the TV/movie goes out of its way to spotlight the product involved. That turns into just as much of a distraction.

j_rocker likes this.
  3. PonceDeLeroy

PonceDeLeroy Forum Resident

Maybe I am dense but can you explain this?

Are you saying that in reality being a cop isn't a job but a vocation, and movies don't treat it that way, or do you mean that being a cop IS just a job, but movies portray it like it's a sacred calling for life like the priesthood?

4. j_rocker

j_rocker Forum Resident

Reese’s Pieces wants to have a word with you.

(And Tom Hanks drank the Dr. Pepper in Forrest Gump, not Cast Away. :D I think I’ll go drink one now…)

Last edited: Oct 23, 2022
  5. j_rocker

j_rocker Forum Resident

Do you have any examples of this? Is it implying that the kid inherited the car from a parent? If kid is driving around in a classic car it would seem difficult to make the point that he’s poor.

6. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

In movies (and TV), people very, very frequently end phone conversations unrealistically. In the real world, you close the call with goodbye or whatever. In movies/TV, people get news and then hang up.

woody likes this.
  7. PonceDeLeroy

PonceDeLeroy Forum Resident

They offer Chuck one on the plane going home in Cast Away, as a reference to Forrest Gump I guess. It makes an impression on him that he so easily has a glass with ice in it.

One Dr. Pepper.

j_rocker likes this.
  8. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I've never met anyone who liked their job enough that they would choose going to work over having paid time off to do whatever they want. Most people work to live, they don't live to work.

9. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Conversely, I've been lucky to have had a few jobs in my specialized fields where
    I liked my bosses and co-workers and actually looked forward to my work days:
    1) Historical research assistant at a State Archives
    2) Production manager/recording engineer at a couple of medium-market radio station
    3) Grant researcher and conference coordinator for a 'top ten' rated University Business School

10. Oatsdad

Key phrase: most people. But not all.

And in the movie/TV scenes under discussion, the people being "given" PTO are doing so under a cloud.

It's not like the characters are granted PTO as a reward.

11. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

And in the movies and TV, when the remote party hangs up, you hear a dial tone. But that never happens in reality.

CDFanatic and kwadguy like this.
  12. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

In a show like Law & Order (but many other shows/movies, as well), the police will be interviewing a bystander and the person will say "I have to go..." and walk away. No one in real life EVER does that. They wait until the police tell them they can go.

Daryl M likes this.
  13. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

And the waiters in Law & Order always have perfect recall. Oh yeah, I remember that guy, came in 2 weeks ago, drank a craft beer, ate a cheese burger, wore brown shoes.

Daryl M likes this.
  14. I think they have often been missing the mark since the dawn of motion pictures. They do get it right, often enough, to keep me happy.

Michael and Dudley Morris like this.
  15. HGN2001

Worth re-mentioning: There's always a parking place right where it's needed.

musicfan37 and maclen like this.
  16. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Travel times always ignore the realitites of the city.

You can always get from one side of LA to the other, even during rush hour, quite quickly (for example).

17. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

In law-based TV shows, there are only about 3 judges who preside over all trials.

18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

fair enough, but they used to IMO...

19. HGN2001

We watch some of the procedurals like THE FBI franchise. It drives me crazy when I see the FBI agents, recognize a perp up ahead, and shout announcing their presence, while still too far away. This allows an action "chase" scene, usually on foot, through alleys, over fences, across rooftops, etc. I would think that in real life these perps would be collared without a shout-out of the law's presence.

Jack White and CDFanatic like this.
  20. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

Chase scenes also precipitated when cops break down front door and perp flees out the back door. Oops!

21. Uncle Meat

Uncle Meat Forum Resident

The whole point of putting them in there is so it will trigger you.
    You are a captive audience.

22. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

High school scenes are always wrong. For example, in the cafeteria, students are free to bully other students, dump food trays over someone's head, push a student around.

All school cafeterias have security and faculty posted inside to monitor and prevent such behavior.

Ghostworld likes this.
  23. Funeral At The Movies

Funeral At The Movies Froum Reisdnet

Not all of them do. Some schools are better than others.

CDFanatic likes this.
  24. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

Mine certainly didn't.

CDFanatic likes this.
  25. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

The high school I went to had a couple of teachers supervising, that was it.

Actually, I'm guessing they probably did-I can't say it with absolute certainty, because I never once ate lunch in the cafeteria in jr. high/high school. We had open campus, so off to the drug store (for candy) I went...