Buying records from Amazon

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Oelewapper, May 18, 2022.

1. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

When a new company locates in an area those are new jobs. People might move from their current job to one there for better pay and/or benefits but those old jobs are still there with someone new taking their place. It increases employment in an area.

Don't get me wrong. I like to support local business, but the world is constantly changing and local businesses have to adapt or they fail. That's why many have developed a presence online, offer free delivery, so on and so forth. Did you ever read Stainbeck's novel, The Winter of Our Discontent? It's about this very subject.

2. lazydawg58

Like in the movies!

Big Blue likes this.
  3. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Wow! You need to hone your shopping skills.;)

Oelewapper likes this.
  4. lazydawg58

Probably not a good idea to use a slavery analogy. No body is being held against their will. Kind of disrespectful to the descendants of those that were.

If you're unemployed and you get a job at Amazon that's a good thing. It might not be ideal, benefits might not be great, the pay might not be that much, but it sure beats the alternative. If you are working for minimum wage with no benefits and you get a job at Amazon for a few dollars over minimum wage and some benefits then that's a step up.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  5. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I’m not sure there’s a whole lot of skill in not receiving records with pressing defects. :laugh:

6. wpjs

wpjs Forum Resident

Best reason to go Amazon is the return policy.
    I went through 5 copies of the Rush Moving Pictures box set before I was able to put together a full set with NO warps.
    And 4 copies of Blue Train Mono. Also badly warped.
    I doubt any other online retailer would allow so many returns- but some pressings these days are crap.

Mr. LP Collector and Big Blue like this.
  7. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Yes, it’s especially necessary for box sets, which far too often require mix-and-match from multiple boxes to get a full set that is acceptable.

8. RemyM

RemyM Forum Resident

that’s why the “modern”. And indirectly you can be held against your will if there is no other option for you to work. That’s the whole issue. Amazon treat people like **** because they know they won’t or can’t leave or don’t have other options. Besides that some of Amazones direct international suppliers do work with forced labor.

but hey. As long as you can send your package back and forth.

9. L.P.

L.P. Forum Resident

This happened twice to me now. After the first time I chose the gift option for a while to make sure they put it in a box. Sometimes in the ordering process it says something like "the packaging reveals the content" so if it's a gift they can put it in another box. But I believe that sometimes when the record is in that tight cardboard envelope they usually come in, the name of the content is printed on that cardboard and this is what they mean by revealing the content. So I stopped using the gift option until two years later when they again sent me one without any kind of packaging which was damaged so badly that the postal service glued it all together with sticky tape to keep the record from falling out.

Andrea_Bellucci and GordonM like this.
  10. lazydawg58

Well you're in Europe. Here in the U.S. throwing in modern or not, with 10% of our population barely 5 generations removed from enslavement and 2 from Jim Crow it's not appropriate.

11. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor. Thread Starter

Probably not a good idea to confuse free will with pseudofreedom either.

mstoelk and RemyM like this.
  12. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Anyone know how Amazon 3rd party returns work? Can you return an opened record without a hassle? Speaking specifically about MovieMars-CDs but hearing anyone's experience would be great. Thanks

13. x2zero

x2zero Forum Resident

Have I just been unlucky? Last 2 records ordered came in plastic bags and had to be returned due to bent, creased sleeves, I’d only had this happen once before in many purchases. Is this now more common?

14. neruda

neruda Forum Resident

Quality control for new vinyl has really dipped in the last few years. So I’ve started using Amazon for new vinyl for this same reason.

That said, how many returns can you do on the same title until they flag you and ban you from returns? I think I’ve heard of this happening …

About to return my second copy of a record to Amazon and wondering if I can safely do so without consequence?

Serious question …

15. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor. Thread Starter

Idk which Amazon you’re dealing with, but European Amazon won’t give you an option to exchange it for a new copy if you’ve returned it too many times.
    Which is two times in my cases.
    Then the only option offered is a full refund.

However, idk what would happen if you use the refunded money to buy yet another copy…

neruda likes this.
  16. Adagio

Adagio Forum Resident

Same in Canada. But I just buy another copy.

17. Ken Dryden

Ken Dryden Forum Resident

I remember having a problem with Amazon purchasing a multi DVD set of a TV series. Because the inner spindles were broken, the discs would not stay in place and were subject to getting scratched. When I returned the second copy for similar concealed damage, they refunded me rather than sending me another copy. I finally bought an intact copy from importCDs and probably saved money.

18. WDeranged

WDeranged Forum Resident

I always go for the refund. Sometimes I've had to try five copies of an album. Amazon will usually send an email with vague threats but nothing ever comes of it.

19. Shurdaddy

Shurdaddy Forum Resident

The biggest problem I have had with Amazon is getting the incorrect title shipped to me.
    I live in a rural area and many times Amazon is my only option for many non music items.

20. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

I've only been sent the wrong item once - and I was told to keep it, for free.

COBill likes this.
  21. COBill

COBill Forum Resident

I usually only try three times.

I don't want to be abusive, that's why companies change policies.

22. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

Reminds me of a former co-worker, and the many who blamed him for various policy crackdowns - 'if it wasn't for him, we wouldn't have half of these rules!' He was amused by both that reaction, and coming up with new ways to bend the rules.

23. Bolampau

Bolampau Senior Member

I nearly combined an order of 5 litres of distilled water and Big Big Train 'Ingenious Devices' LP and had visions of them being packed together - so ordered on separate days!

Also, I will order two albums with the similar delivery lead-time together (assuming stored in same warehouse) in the hope that Amazon will combine together in bigger box. Doesn't always work though!
    However, the plan worked today as I received Little Feat's 'Sailin' Shoes' and ''Waiting For Columbus' together in one big box!

24. IHeartRecordsAz

IHeartRecordsAz Forum Resident

So as I was heading to pick up a pizza order tonight, I saw an Amazon package on my porch. Which I found odd, since I didn't order anything that would be arriving this month. But I opened it up, and tightly encased in bubble wrap were 6 used records by Carly Simon, Sha Na Na, Jethro Tull, Seals and Croft, and Paul Revere and the Raiders. Two had jackets in average condition, but the others were in really good shape. The vinyl itself is in VG to VG+ condition, which is impressive given that three of the records weren't even in sleeves. But I have no idea how these records ended up with me, and I'm not familiar with any of my immediate neighbors being vinyl collectors, either. And it just seems weird for six random used records, the kind you can find in any used record shop, to arrive neatly packaged in an official Amazon box that was sealed as if it came from Amazon directly (aka no one taking an Amazon box and just putting some sort of duct/packaging tape over it to seal it). Just kind of odd all the way around, really.

neruda likes this.
  25. hlennarz

hlennarz Forum Resident

Bought a 2014 MONO "Please Please Me" LP off the US store. I was wondering how that one copy turned up after all this time. But 67$ , while still steep for a record seemed like a great deal considering the ridiculous prices people ask for mint copies of the 2014 monos these days on discogs and such.

Well, got the package today. It even said "New Article, Please Please Me [Mono LP]" on the barcode sticker attached to the inner box housing the record.

Aaaand..... it's a 2012 stereo copy.

What a bunch of incompetent idiots. I mean how big is that STEREO lettering on the front cover? And also says stereo remaster on the hype sticker.

So I received a 67$ 2009 CD pressed to vinyl wich can be had for like 25€ over here. No thanks, lmao. Went straight back to the post office.

And thanks apple again for not repressing the monos.