My humble review of the Benchmark AHB2 and LH4

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tone?, Jun 1, 2021.

1. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well I’ll have to try a Pass XA25 someday to hear what all the fuss is about

cool

avanti1960 likes this.
  2. Harris11235

Harris11235 Forum Resident

Well, now you know. Having too little range on the volume dial is a major annoyance for me.

Glmoneydawg and timind like this.
  3. timind

timind phorum rezident

too much like a pro amp in my system - It was designed as a pro amp, so yeah. Although I wouldn't expect much change, I'm a bit surprised you're not going to run it in for a few days. I've only ever changed my mind with speakers after break in, never with any piece of electronic gear.

Tone? likes this.
  4. Tone?

To each their own.
    A pro amp to me means transparency and accuracy.

coloring is also a nice sound as well though.

I mean that honestly. To each their own. We don’t have to all like the same thing.
    I do want to try the pass labs amp out of curiosity

johnnypaddock and timind like this.
  5. Helom

Helom Forum member

The XA25 is my end-game amp as long as I’m using 89+ sensitivity speakers. Just an amazing amp IMO and I credit you for convincing me to get one.

avanti1960 likes this.
  6. Tone?

It’s only 25 watts tho.

7. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

Very conservative rating...i believe it's closer to 80 watts which is plenty for most speakers.

Ingenieur and Tone? like this.
  8. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Which is why they make this:

XS300 - Pass Labs

[​IMG]

(only one channel shown!)

Tone? and Glmoneydawg like this.
  9. Tone?

Ha!

is that like a million dollars?

10. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Only if you use it and have to pay the electric bill! :D

It was $85k for a stereo pair (4 chassis) when launched. Could be even more in this current economic climate.

Tone? likes this.
  11. Glmoneydawg

Horrifyingly 300lbs a side!!....probably sounds great though ;)

12. timind

timind phorum rezident

I've always been a straight wire with gain type as far as electronics go. The speakers are where I get my flavor from. I figure if the signal from the amplification is as close to the original source as possible, and with the Benchmark gear I believe that's what I'm getting, then I'm hearing the true nature of the speakers. That's my audio philosophy, not for everyone I understand.

13. Tone?

Yeah same here.
    I want my amp and preamp to not add a single thing.
    I get enough color from the speakers and then add a dash of color maybe from a DAC or source.

i don’t want to go on this crazy system matching circular chase.

that being said I do want to try the pass just to see what everyone is raving about.

But yeah from the few amps I’ve heard, the benchmark sounds the most real by far.
    Playing music for so long I kinda know what instruments sound like. Not to mention feel like under my fingers.

johnnypaddock and timind like this.
  14. richsto

richsto Forum Resident

Good discussion here. Considered an AHB2 but just didn’t have the power and current capability to adequately drive my Thiels so I went another route. I am, however currently giving the HPA4 preamp a trial to replace my aging Musical Fidelity pre.

Even after all the glowing reviews, I am a bit surprised by by its neutrality despite being utterly revealing. Was expecting it to be a little analytical and cold with the Thiels but not so.

Still evaluating if it’s the right match in my system but highly recommended to anyone looking for a reference pre. Stunning.

15. Tone?

In my experience it’s anything but cold
    I thought that might be the case with all the silly talk about anything that is transparent is cold. Makes no sense actually.

timind likes this.
  16. tIANcI

tIANcI Wondering when the hifi madness will end

All this talk about LA4 n HPA4 makes me wanna replace my Oppo HA-1 soon! I still got a pair of the Benchmark SMS1. It will be a full Benchmark system save for the DAC.

Tone? likes this.
  17. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Yes but with limited streaming services, mainly a file server / player but excellent sounding. Sony HAP-Z1ES.

Tone? likes this.
  18. avanti1960

It was tested by Stereophile putting out 80 watts at 8 ohms and 130 watts per channel at 4 ohms, 1% THD. It also has a gradual distortion curve.

Tone? likes this.
  19. avanti1960

agreed, there are times when I could use more power though but not very many. i am finished chasing amps except for an upgrade to another pass when one becomes available. they are sold out through december.

Glmoneydawg likes this.
  20. avanti1960

I thought about giving it / them more time but the miss-match with my preamp is too apparent. Listening at low volume levels certain music or notes will break through and sound much louder than
    they should. Reminds me of watching a movie on a HT system where you can't hear the dialogue but yet a thunderous explosion blows the roof off.
    This amp would work well with a passive preamp.

timind likes this.
  21. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

that spec is misleading.
    70 W <0.1% at any Z, Class A
    SN 97 dB

it is an impressive device.

Pass Laboratories XA25 power amplifier Measurements

When listening my meters seldom exceed -20 dB or 1.2 W avg (2.4 peak)
    The most it has drawn is 20 W (40 peak)
    75 dBA SPL, 100 dBZ peaks
    Speakers are 86 dB eff

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2022
    Ilusndweller likes this.
  22. Glmoneydawg

Good call bud....it's stressful trying to improve a system/sound that you're already happy with.Sometimes it's "good enough "...relax and enjoy your music and wait patiently for a bigger Pass amp IF it's necessary:)

Ilusndweller likes this.
  23. Harris11235

Harris11235 Forum Resident

I use an RME ADI-2 FS as the preamp and DAC with my AHB2, and it sounds crazy good at low levels. It’s hard to imagine what you’re hearing is the fault of the amp, but it doesn’t really matter. You’ve got the rest of the system built to taste and the amp doesn’t fit. If you keep it, the only options are to put up with it or try to chase fixes in the rest of your system. Neither of those make sense.

tIANcI, Ilusndweller, Tone? and 2 others like this.
  24. Tone?

I still think that since you have the amps it’s worth getting an LA4 pre just to properly listen to them
    Would be a shame to not see what they can do through your speakers while you have the amps.

I mean it’s all about having fun as well as you didn’t even really hear what they can do.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2022
    Harris11235 likes this.
  25. Helom

Helom Forum member

Most pre-owned Pass gear is in pretty good shape. And it’s my understanding that Pass is often willing to perform check-ups on older amps at no cost. Just something to consider if the model you’re seeking pops up on the used market.

Another thought: room setup can have a huge impact on a system’s net efficiency. I probably gained a good 2 or 3db sensitivity by setting up my system along the long wall of my room. This forced my seating position closer to the opposing wall, with only about 1.5’ behind my head. That actually resulted in an overall improvement rather than the detriment I was expecting. I was also able to place my speakers closer to the forward wall and that resulted in more linear bass response. With the possible exception of soundstage width, everything about my system’s sound has improved with this placement, compared to when it fired down the length of the room.

avanti1960 and Tone? like this.