Frank Sinatra's Capitol and Reprise recordings now under one roof

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, Oct 30, 2013.

1. grumpy old man

grumpy old man Forum Resident

Thanks wvk3, that's it. When you put your CD's in a CD player which is connected to your computer and when you have the software mentioned by wvk3, a tracklist is shown (on your computer) with the aforementioned detailed track information. Hope that helps.

Jerome G, wvk3 and Bob F like this.
  2. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

Assuming that is true (which makes sense)… There is no “metadata” on a CD which shows mastering information. Software can only lookup song titles in a public database, which is often highly inaccurate and unreliable.

When I have more time, I plan to do some A/B comparisons to previous releases (listening and waveforms), to determine the true origins of these tracks.

3. Bob F

Clarification…

For Capitol tracks, the listed ℗ years are RECORDING dates, which sometimes differ from release dates. For example, “My Funny Valentine” is listed as ℗ 1953, but its album Songs for Young Lovers was not released until 1954.

For Reprise tracks, the listed ℗ years are single and/or album RELEASE dates, which may be delayed from the recording dates. For example, “Ring-a-Ding Ding” is listed as ℗ 1961, but the title track of its same-titled album was recorded in December 1960. Also, in a few cases where a recording was first released as a single—and then later on an album in a subsequent year—the album’s release date is listed.

There are three glaring mistakes:
    • “Three Coins in the Fountain” (Capitol 1954) is listed: ℗ 1996 Capitol Records.
    • “Goin’ Out of My Head” (Reprise 1969) is listed: ℗ 1960 Capitol Records.
    • “Mack the Knife” is listed: ℗ 1984 Frank Sinatra Enterprises; it should be: ℗ 1986 (recording of vocal) or ℗ 1990 (first release).
    Along with the skimpy track listing, I find these inconsistencies and errors disappointing, With so few Sinatra releases of late, you’d think FSE/UMG would have time to get at least get the minimal details right.

4. David m bond

David m bond Forum Resident

Thanks Bob so what are your first thoughts on the mastering and sound?

5. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Dry Your Eyes, is that the Neil Diamond song?

6. Bob F

Yes, it is.

RSteven likes this.
  7. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Oh.
    Neil Diamond's Dry Your Eyes was the only performance
    I liked in the concert film The Last Waltz (1977). This
    version falls flat, although it is interesting to hear how
    Sinatra tackles it.

Bob F likes this.
  8. shicorp

shicorp Senior Member

I think wer are talking about CD text. The same kind of (confusing) information that can be seen in the product description on amazon et al.:

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Frank-Sinatra/dp/B0BFFP33QJ/ref=sr_1_3?crid=38Q5SKNJ9H8OG&keywords=gesammelte+sinatra&qid=1667143971&s=music&sprefix=collected+sinatra,popular,103&sr=1-3

These are notorious for the lack of carefulness. For instance, it constantly says "album version" on tracks where there is no different version. For the Capitol stuff, my ears mostly hear the Norberg masters with extra compression. For the Reprise stuff it's the most recent remixes and I think in some cases they have used the "old" master and compressed and normalized them. Plenty of the stuff sounds really, really BAD - almost as if it were sourced from compressed files.

roda12 and grumpy old man like this.
  9. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

Interesting that the 1984/1986 tracks are licensed to Concord. I don’t remember that album being reissued on Concord.

10. grumpy old man

grumpy old man Forum Resident

shicorp likes this.
  11. D.B.

D.B. Forum Resident

Yes, this 3-disc line-up is actually a better compilation / overview than most, and would serve well as an introduction. Regardless of the fact that some of the recordings are not top quality Sinatra, it's however a truthful account of his career (and what to expect from delving deeper).

12. Bob F

Update (not so obviously, after all) …

My pre-order just arrived today (Wednesday) by USPS Priority Mail (unusual for Amazon).
    Limited edition number is not too shabby: 847 of 10,000.

I had actually tried to cancel my order on release-day Friday, when ImportCDs showed up at a much-reduced price on Amazon’s product page. But Amazon told me it was too late to cancel shipment. Note that both Amazon and ImportCDs are no longer listed as sellers, and ImportCDs now has the 2LP limited edition on Back Order.

RSteven, Daveymoore, ky658 and 3 others like this.
  13. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Let us know your impressions of the sound! I’m looking forward to your insights.

RSteven and DABarrios like this.
  14. DABarrios

DABarrios Forum Resident

Any reason to believe any of the tracks on this collection have new mastering?

15. Listenin' Dave

Listenin' Dave Well-Known Member

Hi, maybe one of you can advise me regarding the Frank Sinatra Collected gold vinyl LP. The LP available from Amazon.com is an import, released on Sept.21,2022 from Music On Vinyl. I live in Canada and the LP is due for its Canadian release Dec.9,2022 on Amazon.ca from Sony Music Canada Entertainment. I had never heard of Music on Vinyl before today. Does anyone suspect any significant differences in production quality between the two, or should I just not be concerned. I'm up for buying from either source, and I can save 10 bucks ordering from the states, Ha! Ha! but quality is of primary importance, of course .
    Thanks.......Dave:tiphat:

16. Bob F

Music On Vinyl is based in the Netherlands. I can only tell you that the import sold by Amazon.com was a numbered limited edition, manufactured and distributed by MOV in partnership with Universal Music’s Dutch subsidiary. (However, I believe it is no longer available directly from Amazon, but from third-party marketplace sellers such as ImportCDs.) Quality is excellent: very quiet heavy vinyl pressing.

I have no clue about the Sony Music Canada Entertainment version, but the Amazon Canada page does not mention it as being numbered or limited. Since the US order is less expensive, I would go with that instead.

Richard--W likes this.
  17. Listenin' Dave

Listenin' Dave Well-Known Member

Many thanks Bob. That was all the information I really needed. Numbered and Limited edition, for what that's worth, from importcds, for less money. And, "Quality is excellent: very quiet heavy vinyl pressing." Those are very positive factors, and good enough for me to place my order, which I just did.
    You know Bob, I was out today for a 250 km. drive, and had Frank on shuffle playing through my stereo system all the way, and that's what got me seaching for a pre-Christmas present to myself. I landed on this 2 disc gold vinyl LP, and thought yes, that will do it for sure. So there you go.
    Thanks again, much appreciated...................Dave

Bob F likes this.
  18. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

The Apocalypse is indeed upon us! I just saw a TV commercial for Cologuard home colon cancer tests in which the theme music is "My Way" sung by several happy people with special lyrics. However, they really play up the catch-phrase "I did it my way!!!!":rolleyes::cry::doh:

There are no words!!!

MLutthans, teag and Tom Stigler like this.
  19. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

That's Life

RSteven likes this.
  20. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

Better that than “I’ve Got You Under My Skin.”

RSteven likes this.
  21. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Cole Porter made the right choice when he changed his lyric from "I've Got You Subcutaneously"

Though Porter thought the word was cute, most airplay would have been banned.

CBackley and RSteven like this.
  22. DABarrios

DABarrios Forum Resident

Beaneydave likes this.
  23. Bob F

24. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

Hi Bob , Apple U.K. if you select that album it’s states under the art work “pop” 2020 Dolby Atmos

peace and love✌Dave

DABarrios likes this.
  25. DABarrios

DABarrios Forum Resident

I’d love some info on the sources that were used when creating this atmos mix. I’m sure purists won’t be pleased with these mixes. Sinatra’a voice is typically right in the middle, perhaps overpowering the orchestra.