SAE MC Cartridges (NOS) On eBAY

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ampexed, Oct 28, 2022.

1. Rekkerds

Rekkerds Forum Resident

My LT is on the way too, fingers crossed for no defects.

I've been using AT moving magnet ML carts for years on my 1200 M3D. First time trying an MC (high output). What differences should I expect vs say a 540ML? I don't need to be concerned with input capacitance right? Or switch to MC settings on my phono pre-amp (Moon 110LP)?

Hopefully it's a satisfying alternative to the ATs (which I really like). For the price I was tempted to get 2. Thanks for the heads up @Ampexed

Ampexed likes this.
  2. bjlefebvre

bjlefebvre Forum Resident

Yeah, purchased the LT. The next time I have a beer I might buy the EL, too.
    For those who already have them on the way, definitely let us know your first impressions.

ubiknik likes this.
  3. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Capacitance is not a concern because MC carts have very low inductance, even HOMCs. Tracking and tracing will not be as good as the AT mentioned above on the most challenging records. That is because the SAE has a stylus that is twice as fat as the AT, a stiffer suspension, and is only rated from the factory to have 70um tracking ability.

bjlefebvre, Ampexed and Rekkerds like this.
  4. Rekkerds

Rekkerds Forum Resident

Received the SAE 1000LT today, set it up on a headshell, quick alignment/balance and... I've got no audio in the left channel. Bah! Mounted it on a different headshell and got the same result, no connection on the left. Requested an exchange, hoping #2 works out. Right channel sounded promising.

5. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I don't know why the seller isn't testing these with a multimeter before shipping them out. It would have saved a lot of time. I asked if the suspensions had been tested with a test LP and the answer was no on that. Caveat Emptor on 42 year old NOS cartridges.

Texado likes this.
  6. bjlefebvre

bjlefebvre Forum Resident

* taking multimeter out of drawer, making sure batteries work *

7. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

Thats not good, refreshing those who dare and not a lot of money.
    I'd be surprised if these SAE perform as they should long term.

8. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

So my LT showed up yesterday.
    I mounted it (might have to straighten one of the bolts as the nut probably has a corner against the body making it not so straight -but it's nice and tight), aligned it and then set all the parameters correctly (1.8g +/-.3g VTF) and I'm listening to it right now.

[​IMG]

It's more than promising, it actually sounds pretty nice straight away.
    It has a very neutral yet dynamic sound, I already like it better than my 740ML this is by far the best $100 I've ever spent in hifi.
    It's quiet in the groove, using the 47k setting and 36db of gain it sounds damn near perfect.

[​IMG]

Dignan2000, Rekkerds, james and 4 others like this.
  9. Simoon

Simoon Forum Resident

I bought 2 of them (one LT one elliptical) back about 7 years ago, when they were around on Ebay for $199, and both performed flawlessly.

I used the LT version for years (until my girlfriend's nephew broke the cantilever) without issues.
    The elliptical version I sold to a friend, who has been using it since. He likes it better than his previous Sumiko HOMC Blackbird.

I contacted one of the well known cartridge re-tippers about a year ago about re-tipping my LT vedrsion, and his response to me was, "Great cartridge!". He told me the suspensions are not prone to aging, because of the synthetic material they are made of.

I just received my new LT version earlier in the week, and mounted it up, and it too sounds great.

33na3rd, Ampexed and ubiknik like this.
  10. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

How did I miss this! All that is left is the elliptical version. Oh well, I have enough cartridges

11. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Dignan2000 and 33na3rd like this.
  12. Pmds55889397

Good to know, thanks

13. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

ubiknik likes this.
  14. Pmds55889397

Is text:
    "SAE 1000LT Conical"
    a typo ?
    if its Conical it can't be LT ?

ubiknik likes this.
  15. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

It's a line contact similar to what the Ortofon Bronze uses.
    I have no idea why they put the word conical in their description, if they had not done that they probably would have all been gone last week.

Simoon likes this.
  16. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Mine was shipped Priority so not much waiting time...
    I would assume they are all being sent Priority.

17. Simoon

Simoon Forum Resident

The elliptical has an overall more warm sound, with a lush midrange.

The LT version is more detailed and extended. Tracks a bit better, too.

18. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

If anyone gets around to doing some testing with a test LP on these, checking the RF, etc. let me know.

19. Ampexed

Ampexed Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have seen a frequency response and separation graph of the LT and it is flat to within 1.5dB or so to about 19kHz with the 1.5dB showing as a very broad depression through the high mid-range/low treble. The separation is at least 25dB through most of the range. The tracking and other parameters were normal for a MC. I don't have the graph or I'd post it. As I said before, I don't have mine any more but I wish I had kept it instead of buying the Benz Micro Glider. I have an Ortofon 2M Black LVB now.

20. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I've seen those factory specs. However, these are very old cartridges at this point. I'd like to see someone test a sample from this current batch.

21. Ampexed

Ampexed Forum Resident Thread Starter

This was a sample from the current batch - the ones being sold now.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2022
  22. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

That sucks!
    Hang in there, the replacement should do the trick!

Rekkerds likes this.
  23. needlestein

needlestein GrooveTickler

I finally got some time to hook one up. The testing results are, in a word, superlative and kind of surprising. This hasn’t even broken in and this one is basically showing zero crosstalk (over 40dB separation) and dead perfect 0dB channel balance. VTF is spec 1.8g.

[​IMG]

Alignment is perfectly level
    [​IMG]

Output is excellent
    [​IMG]

I have not done a frequency response test but suffice to say that if it’s testing like this, there is nothing wrong with the suspension, diamond or coils. I would expect it to meet minimum FR response specs at least and, really, pass with flying colors.

This is the best deal going on a new moving coil cartridge right now and not likely to be found again any time soon with so many to go around.

No affiliation at all with the seller. Just sharing my findings. Definitely worth $99.99. Makes up and then some for all the times people have gotten burned in this hobby.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2022
  24. woodpigeon

woodpigeon Forum Resident

I really don’t need any more cartridges, but at this price it’s worth it just to have something to tinker with and maybe enjoy. Hoping the seller will post to NZ.

Daddy Dom and jusbe like this.
  25. hammr7

hammr7 Forum Resident

From time to time I have looked (without success) for a NOS version of this cartridge in is Coral 777E application. My first MC cartridge back in 1982, it ruined me for a lot of lessor carts. Can't believe I stumbled across this sale.

My original Coral was the LOMC version, and it played great until I wore it out. As already noted, solid but not overly flashy for most music. The cartridge really shined on female vocals and on detailed acoustic pieces.

I'm looking forward to reliving my past!

HiFi Guy, Ampexed and ubiknik like this.