VAN MORRISON Album by Album Discussion: Part 2 (Wavelength 1978 - Enlightenment 1990)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Clarkophile, Nov 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night Thread Starter

Ahh, yes, that would be Morton's Bakery, best jelly rolls in town!:righton:

2. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

this certainly seems to be a consensus in here!

3. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I agree. :)

4. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I love those jelly rolls.:agree:

5. dee

dee Senior Member

Re: Side Two: And for once in my life, I'm ok I'm not part of it! :p

As discussed on this topic earlier, I wholly (holy:) ) agree that side two is more about Sex than God, imo, then again, of course, they could be the same thing. :shh: .

Since it won't have any effect on anyone's enjoyment of side two, I do feel compelled to add a few of my own final thoughts, just for my own benefit - :p - that I refrained from posting before. ;) . It seems to me as often as not - Especially during You Know What They're Writing About, and to a lesser extent, Angeliou - that there are times Van is on fire and the band, Especially the drums, sound absolutely dead! :sigh:. I swear :magoo:. I thought a drum machine was being used during that side's final performance. The sound of it, and or playing, imo, sounds So slow and lazy to me - and not in a light touch, gently swinging, or casually stroking sort of good way, but rather, uninspired and robotic. Finally, despite what I think :p , of what I interpret as often as not as vocal mannerisms and/or affectations, I really like the initial part of the "He will kiss your lips" bit. I find that very nice and real, and beautiful. righton: As most all my thoughts and feelings expressed in these two threads have been probably ninety per cent glorifying the man's work, enjoying it, even envying it, and simply loving it, and him, I hope I haven't used this particular topic as a place, as Van might say, wherein to "dump all my negativity." Van rules. :agree:

Peace!

6. Sneaky Pete

Maybe side one could be named Spirit, and side Two could be named Flesh.:laugh:
    To be fair, while Van sings in a lusty way about love, you feel it is an expression of some real relationship. He never does one of those "we are on the road and we've got the groupies" kind of songs.

Having someone disagree with the consensus is good, because it saves this from sounding like a fan boy, love fest (yuuuch). I like reading everyone's reaction honestly. I also like the fact that no one gets flamed up for disagreeing here.:thumbsup:

7. Clarkophile

Where Marvin Gaye struggled with the whole "sacred vs. profane" question throughout his career (so much so that his biographer, David Ritz, titled his book Divided Soul) Van, in my opinion, seeks to reconcile the two. I see the overt sexuality in something like "And the Healing Has Begun" as an attempt to create a world wherein sexuality is only one aspect of the healing process in furtherance of a higher purpose.
    It can be taken literally or metaphorically.
    The Van-Woman relationship with God (often represented in Pantheistic imagery) is a theme which crops up again and again in Van's work: "Have I Told You Lately", "In the Forest", "Oh, the Warm Feeling", et cetera.

He's talkin' 'bout the jellyroll. But the jellyroll has soul, man.

8. Sneaky Pete

Well said!:righton:

9. Clarkophile

So, You Know What I'm Writing About?:winkgrin:

10. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

By the way, I found my copy of Can You Feel the Silence, so I'll post something about this album when I have the time.

On a completely unrelated note, I own too many books!

11. tfarney

tfarney Active Member

There is no doubt that jellyroll has soul. The question is, does backstreet jelly roll have soul?

And evidently the answer is yes.

By the way, if any subject deserves fanboy treatment, this is it. Hell I would have started a Van tribute band years ago if I had the chops.

Tim

12. Clarkophile

Great, Jason.

Mine hasn't even shipped yet!!:cussing:

13. Clarkophile

Tomorrow I'm going on holiday for a week and a half, but my intrepid sidekick DJWilbur will be continuing the Van-ular discussion with his typical aplomb.

14. DJ WILBUR

bon vanage Tom...

15. tfarney

tfarney Active Member

Do we get your views on Common One before you go?

Tim

16. dee

dee Senior Member

It won't be the same. :( .

17. dee

dee Senior Member

:D

18. dee

dee Senior Member

19. dee

dee Senior Member

Or maybe what he's writing with? Van writing his song with his "pen" among the "rolling hills?"
    I dunno. Creating songs and making babies?
    ;)

20. dee

dee Senior Member

:thumbsup:

21. DJ WILBUR

Common One is the last Van album we'll cover in 2007. He'll be back in time to post his thoughts cause we're gonna stay into the music and coast into the new year. I always felt Common One is sort of an end but also a beginning. so a good place for a couple week holding pattern.

So we'll start up Common One middle of next week and I'm sure Tom will hop in at some point when he's back in about a week and a half.

December is a crazy month and I've not had a minute to even pull Common One out yet though I already love much about it, but need a couple of new listens and this one you really need to listen to....hahaha....so patience, though if anyone wants to start talking it up or any previous release its a good month to recap any thoughts on his 70s output, etc.

22. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Side note - I happened to notice the other day that Amazon is showing the old WB CD's of "Common One" and "Inarticulate Speech of the Heart" in stock. Strange because these came out years before the remasters yet the remasters are all oop and fetching high prices. So if you don't want to wait for the new remasters, now's your chance to get these. I've also seen these in local shops brand new.

23. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

I'm pretty sure remasters for these were only released overseas. The old WB of Common One sounds fantastic by the way.

24. Sneaky Pete

Good thinking, we all have too much on our plates this time of year.
    That reminds me Have a Great Holiday (whichever ones you celebrate) Vanatics! CHEERS

25. Sneaky Pete

I agree I always thought it sounded good. I noticed a lot of WB issues floating around. This may be a good time to fill in thoase gaps before the supplies dry up. I trust any drought will be a temporary one.

I just spotted a French issue Moondance used. I didn't buy it but I'm curious anyone know how they sound? Is the mastering different?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.