New movie "Licorice Pizza" by Paul Thomas Anderson, out now.*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Denim Chicken, Sep 27, 2021.

1. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman Thread Starter

Magnolia is transcendent.

2. fairaintfair

fairaintfair I Buried Paul

I dunno. I'm not a huge Cruise fan primarily because I (generally) don't enjoy the genres he works in, but I find him to be pretty solid actor? He did an exceptional job in "Eyes Wide Shut", a role that could of buried a lesser talent.

And I just haven't seen any evidence that he's anything like the character in Magnolia? Maybe I'm missing something?

LOL. And this is more than I have ever defended the dude. So I'm gonna stop.

3. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Cartoon Network's Adult Swim's Tim & Eric Awesome show. Riley did several segments similar to the posted video. Dadaist comedy at its most bizarre.

Watch Full Episodes of Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job!

This will give you an idea of their bizarre and surreal humor...

Last edited: Aug 22, 2022
  4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Well, it did happen to some degree.

I mean, he didn't abandon comedy, obviously, but he also didn't make just one "serious" movie and then never did so again.

Heck, a lotta people thought he deserved an Oscar nomination for "Uncut Gems"!

Old Fart At Play likes this.
  5. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Whoa! PTA made Uncut Gems? Both Anderson and Sandler should've won an Oscar? That was a huge surprise of a movie I didn't think Sandler had the acting chops for but he pulled it off brilliantly.

Sandler completely removed the stain from his prior goofy comedic performances which I never thought he was good at since I never laughed watching any of his prior movies.

Ignatius likes this.
  6. fairaintfair

fairaintfair I Buried Paul

No. The Safdie brothers made "Gems".

Tim Lookingbill likes this.
  7. Oatsdad

My comments were just about Sandler. No, PTA didn't direct "Gems" but the prior post referred to how that person thought "Love" might turn Sandler into a serious actor, and I just noted that he did do some serious roles after "Love", even if comedy remained his wheelhouse.

Tim Lookingbill likes this.
  8. Old Fart At Play

Old Fart At Play He won't eat it, he hates everything

I don’t particularly mind Tom Cruise, but for whatever reason a lot of people do. And they seem to all have a certain opinion of his personality, regardless of how accurate it may be.

9. Old Fart At Play

I don’t want to turn this thread into a general PTA discussion, but this thread inspired me to watch “Phantom Thread.” I couldn’t remember if I had seen it, but partway through I realized I had. It’s a beautiful film, in large part due to Johnny Greenwood’s score, and it seems unlike any other PTA film. But underneath the lovely veneer, the story is rather simplistic and perhaps even a bit clichéd. It seemed like a script that in the hands of a lesser director could easily be a bad movie. I don’t think you could say that about something as unique as “Magnolia,” for example. (Well, maybe you could, but for entirely different reasons.)

twicks and peopleareleaving like this.
  10. somnar

somnar Senior Member

Finally saw this after kinda/sorta avoiding it - although I really liked Boogie Nights and a lot of Magnolia, for me it's been diminishing returns ever since.

ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT. Have watched it twice so far and a third viewing probably isn't far off. The two leads are great, the story compelling, and feel of the whole thing is irresistable.

My favorite film of the year and the best from his "class" (David O. Russell, Soderbergh, Wes Anderson, Alexander Payne) in at least a few years IMO.

11. IndyTodd

IndyTodd Senior Member

I’m disappointed that there is still no 4K UHD announced for Licorice Pizza. I’ve almost broken down and purchased the 4K stream from Apple but I’m still hoping for a physical release.

With all the things that do get 4K UHD releases it’s surprising to see a film nominated for Best Picture (and also from a prominent director) not get a 4K UHD release.

Maybe Criterion will do it at some point if the studio won’t.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2022
    Dwight Fry likes this.
  12. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I finally saw this today and unfortunately have to say I didn’t get it.

I didn’t think any of the characters were particularly likeable, and it was far too long. It started out very strong, but somewhere along the way it lost the plot. It was good at capturing a specific period of time in the U.S., but I thought Once Upon a Time in Hollywood did a much better job with that.

I did love the songs used in the soundtrack!

13. FredHubbard

FredHubbard Forum Resident

finally seen this, twice. absolutely amazing film. hilarious and so much attention to detail. loved it.

somnar, Dee Zee, vegafleet and 5 others like this.
  14. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Watch it again...you'll probably 'get it'. I doesn't really reveal itself as a 'Rom-Com' until the last six minutes or so of the film (lol).

Greenalishi likes this.
  15. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

I liked Boogie Nights. A lot. But I haven’t enjoyed anything else I’ve seen him do including the emperor’s new clothes (magnolia).

Tried to watch this because I like the time period and was interested in seeing the person from Haim acting… but over an hour in and it was an aimless mess that I couldn’t deal to watch a second more. Nothing in the slightest bit compelling. Some decent set up and then quickly devolves into seemingly his own personal memories of things he might have seen or known about growing up which amount to nothing at all.

To me PTA is completely overrated. I don’t get all the critical praise for this one. Or pretty much any of them (except Boogie Nights).

GLENN, buzzzx and Ghostworld like this.
  16. somnar

somnar Senior Member

Film of the year for me.

17. Oatsdad

I watched it twice. Didn't like it any more the 2nd time. :shrug:

18. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Agree on this film, outstanding. Curious about your 'cliched' criticism...where do you feel like you've seen this before?

Old Fart At Play likes this.
  19. Old Fart At Play

While the mushroom method was fairly unique, I thought the broader portrait of a dysfunctional relationship leading to someone attempting to murder their partner wasn't particularly novel. The ultimate resolution of using poisoning as a sort of mutually approved way to chill him out and bring him down was original, but for some reason as a plot device it just struck me as below PTA's usual standards, and maybe even slightly sensationalistic or melodramatic. Almost a little silly if you detach the basic story from the stellar acting and visuals. Is it really too different from, say, a woman who keeps her man liquored up so that he'll pass out after dinner rather than going out to the pool hall with his buddies every night? I enjoyed watching the movie, but when it ended I wasn't blown away like I was with some of his other films.

twicks likes this.
  20. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

The two leads did well but it felt pointless, with some odd turns in the plot, toward the end (which didn't come soon enough for me).

MichaelH and carrick doone like this.
  21. xTraPlaylists

xTraPlaylists I bring order to chaos.

This thread is filled with some of the worst takes in Hollywood history. Saying There Will Be Blood is "overrated dog****" basically means "I have dog**** taste in movies". :shrug:

Anywho...really like Licorice Pizza. Impressive acting debut from Haim. Wasn't expecting much from her and she absolutely takes the movie over.
    Loved the way it disregarded the passage of time and just kept the narrative flowing.
    Interesting look at relationships and the way way hurt each other (yet keep coming back).
    Great soundtrack (although a notch below Boogie Nights) and god-level use of "Life on Mars".
    Standout scene in the driving the truck backwards down the hill.
    Appreciated the extreme caricature performances of Penn and Cooper.
    Not in my top-5 PTA (BN, TWBB, Magnolia, PT, The Master) but still a fun watch.

22. Dwight Fry

Dwight Fry Forum Resident

Re: "The Phantom Thread":

My takeaway from the film was that their relationship, specifically the mushroom thing, reflected a highbrow B.D.S.M. dynamic; all of the elements of the classic domination/submission power exchange are there. Some critics have described the film as a comedy; I suppose I think of it as being somewhat of a satire.

While all of PTA's films contain portraits of complicated relationships, whether romantic, familiar, or professional, his three films which focus on a specific romantic pairing ("Licorice", "Phantom" and "Punch Drunk Love") seem to be his most polarizing, probably because all three subvert the standard, modern rom-com tropes.

Old Fart At Play and Lightworker like this.
  23. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Not trying to convince anyone who didn't like the movie or didn't 'get' it but trying thinking about Gary as a pinball, Alana as a Flipper (in the pinball function, not the dolphin), and all the other characters as bumpers.

[​IMG]

BluesOvertookMe and Lightworker like this.
  24. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

PTA baffles me a bit because some of his films I haven't really cared for at all, but meanwhile, There Will Be Blood is one of my favorite films of all time. I keep waiting for something else of his to be as on that level for me. But Licorice Pizza was very good, I enjoyed it more than a number of his others, this one felt rather novel and relatively unique, loved the music and the energy and the nostalgic feel of it.

Lightworker likes this.
  25. brucewayneofgotham

brucewayneofgotham Forum Resident

Hopefully the Taylor Swift tour
    will keep Ms. Haim
    and away from camera's

I have never seen such praise , for someone
    with such little talent

Ghostworld and Frank Discussion like this.