Daniel Radcliffe to star in Weird Al biopic

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by tdcrjeff, Jan 18, 2022.

1. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

Watched half of it, really enjoyed it. Total tongue in cheek bio, I got a kick out of the cliches they skewered in a funny way. Not too much laugh out loud funny (in the first half anyway) but I had a smile on my face most of the time I watched it.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. bloodisthin

bloodisthin And after all, we're only ordinary men

Kicked off my weekend by watching this (albeit by nefarious means as the Roku Channel is unavailable in my country) and it was everything I'd hoped it would be. Ridiculous, hilarious, absurdly packed with cameos (there was at least one per minute in the first half), and as skilful a parody of serious rock biopics as any Yankovic song parody. The new Al song "Now You Know" played over the end credits is laugh-out-loud brilliance.

Radcliffe is brilliantly committed and it's one of his finest ever acting jobs, but equally as deserving of praise is Evan Rachel Wood as Madonna. I couldn't imagine a better current actress to play her at her mid-80s peak of hotness, and she nailed it.

3. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Rent on DVD? 20 years ago that would be a possibility

Shawn, intv7 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  4. Spearca

Spearca Forum Resident

Still possible. You can get them through the mail, or from automated kiosks.

MikaelaArsenault and MrJerry1876 like this.
  5. ZiltoidtheOmniscient

ZiltoidtheOmniscient Forum Resident

Actually I found it more accurate than Bohemian Rhapsody...

6. DVEric

DVEric Satirical Intellectual

Why did they choose Daniel Radcliffe? Was Beaker not available?

[​IMG]

7. MichaelH

MichaelH Forum Resident

I rent DVDs from the library.

8. Gary_Stewart

Gary_Stewart 2 Kings 2:23-25

Was not expecting it, I have no strong feelings about Al one way or the other. That said, this is the funniest movie I've seen perhaps since South Park: Bigger Longer Uncut. If you're a fan of absurdist comedy done really well (think The Jerk), you will absolutely love this film!

The Polka Party scene!!

I put this film the same level as the aforementioned films in terms of laughs, alongside Airplane!, Animal House, Tropic Thunder, and perhaps even, Young Frankenstein, among the funniest films I've ever seen. Totally shocked.

Or maybe it was just really good weed. I honestly think it was both.

9. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

why not watch it for free on roku?

dlokazip likes this.
  10. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Aren't they free there?

Peter_R likes this.
  11. MichaelH

MichaelH Forum Resident

I don't have Roku or any other streaming device. Also the library only charges two dollars plus tax to rent a movie, so they're fairly cheap.

12. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

There's a better than fair chance that you can stream free Roku channel content from whatever device you are currently using to browse this forum.

Roku

Shawn, MikaelaArsenault and Kevin j like this.
  13. MichaelH

MichaelH Forum Resident

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't like streaming anything really especially movies since the screen is so tiny it's not even worth it. That's why I only watch movies on the TV either through renting them, buying them, or waiting until they show up on cable.

vince likes this.
  14. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

I work at my local library and taking out DVDs are free, whether directly from us or if we have to get them from another library.

P.S.: I saw the movie on Roku for free. Didn’t have to download the app, I just clicked on the link my friend gave me. There were commercials, but I didn’t mind, hey, it was free.

15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

haven't seen this yet...like the positives.

16. Spearca

Spearca Forum Resident

I do mind commercials' intrusion into the time and attention space of a film. My time is not free, and the interruption of focus itself reduces the effect of a work. Taking a little more of my time to deliver a noticeably worse version is really not a good offer.

Let me just buy the content I want, in the best format, without further obligation.

dlokazip and MichaelH like this.
  17. Got a get me a hay boy!

18. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

19. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

"Sir, this is a Weird Al movie ..."

[​IMG]

20. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I watched this yesterday and thought it was silly, which is exactly what a Weird Al Yankovic “biopic” should be.

I really enjoyed it. :)

21. Roman Potato Chip

Roman Potato Chip Forum Resident

I watched the movie a few days ago, and liked it quite a bit. I figured I would. The scenes in the jungle reminded me of the Rambo bits in UHF, and that's definitely a good thing. The number of big name guest stars they got in such a low budget movie just shows you how much people really love Al. In one of the late night interviews to promote this, Al mentioned that Jorma Taccone from The Lonely Island paid for his own plane ticket to be in the movie as Pee-wee Herman.

22. bloodisthin

bloodisthin And after all, we're only ordinary men

Don't mind if I already did, Al! :laugh:

[​IMG]

23. '05Train

'05Train Crashin' & Flyin' & Livin' & Dyin'

Far, far exceeded my expectations. I've been a huge fan of UHF since it was released, and this is almost as good (UHF is the Gold Standard of comedies). Radcliffe and Wood were perfect. Both deserve Oscar nominations. Rainn Wilson is dead-nuts perfect as Dr. D.

The only thing that would have made this movie any better would have been the ghost of Trinidad Silva sticking turtles to the ceiling and tossing poodles out the window.

MikaelaArsenault and Leviethan like this.
  24. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Also, your TV would need to have an open HDMI port and your wifi signal would need to be powerful enough to stream the picture and audio comparable to broadcast or cable.

If both of those conditions are present, however, a Roku Express (like mine) is usually less than $20.

I think those who have Fire TV or Apple TV should be more upset. The Roku Channel is free on Roku devices, but unavailable on any other streaming device, AFAIK.

25. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I have to say the party scene is one of best things ever made. There's little nuances in there of each character that will have to have me watch it again. Pee-Wee's little dance (only for a split moment) was the laugh I needed after this previous week.