Post photos of your systems/rooms here! (Part 15)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween Jack, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Freddy's Dead

Freddy's Dead Forum Resident

Thanks! Here you go: Dovetail Record Crate - Vinyl Storage Box | Symbol Audio , they aren't cheap but are well made. If I had to do it all over again I would have just bought one of their cabinets even though $$$. I wound up almost spending the same on I have when including their crates. dovetail – Symbol Audio

jonwoody and BRick like this.
  2. Harris11235

Harris11235 Forum Resident

The GIK panels really helped my room too. I'm contemplating more, but I want to be careful about implementation. I don't want the panels to upset the aesthetics of the space. I'm thinking 2x2 panels above each speaker would help, and a nice looking skyline diffuser to replace the art over the fireplace.

jonwoody and Freddy's Dead like this.
  3. Harris11235

Thanks Bever! I've always admired your room.

bever70 likes this.
  4. BiminiTwist

BiminiTwist Forum Resident

5. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Love the pro rack system with tubes on the bottom! Would love your full gear list Bimini.

gabbleratchet7 likes this.
  6. macster

macster Forum Resident

Looks good, I still have my 3020 doing backup duty and the matching tuner.

M~

7. T69

T69 Forum Resident

My current secondary setup. A nice late sixties/early seventies Centrum 425 console with a Garrard sp25 mk3 turntable.
    After a thorough service with cleaning, relube and partial recap of the amp it sounds almost as good as it looks with a Shure M44!

Speakers are a scruffy second hand shop find of unclear brand, model and origin. Maybe a kit? Matches well with the amp in this thing though.

Even though Centrum is a Swedish brand, the amp innards are a Danish Eltra build. So I figured some Gasolin would be appropriate:)

[​IMG]

8. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

First time playing 78's on the Thorens TD 124 since I got it in March.

9. rangda

rangda Forum Resident

I have GIK free standing bass absorber panels at the first reflection points, and aside from cleaning reflections up a ton they have improved the bass bloat in the room much more than I expected. Aesthetics are as you point out, not so great. I have some Vicoustic diffusers to go on the ceiling so I can finally stop throwing blankets on the floor in front of the stereo.

[​IMG]

10. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Very well done and cool room I love the way the ceiling is angled at the sides.

11. Harris11235

I dunno, I think the panels integrate into your room better than some other examples I've seen. It looks like a great place to spend some time. I could study your sculptures for hours while listening to that amazing system.

timind likes this.
  12. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

beautiful!
    watch out for the rack-off-center police:)

Ntotrar, MedozK, aunitedlemon and 3 others like this.
  13. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Forum Resident

Here I am! :agree:

Why is your rack not in the center?! :confused:

Great Shaq print, one of my favorites. Fantastic looking room.

timind, jonwoody and bever70 like this.
  14. macster

macster Forum Resident

Dang

I'm filled with hate, envy, jealousy and lack of self-worth, other than that, thanks for posting this, I'm going to plagiarize the bottom foot mounts of the acoustic panels.

M~

jonwoody likes this.
  15. cat9

cat9 Forum Resident

Exquisite taste!!

..... the system yes but I'm actually referring to your aesthetic and room design, etc!!
    Well done!

jonwoody likes this.
  16. William Bryant

William Bryant Forum Resident

Moving into a new house next month. Excited to set things up in a new space and see how it compares.

aunitedlemon, timind and jonwoody like this.
  17. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

Nice! Love the amp! What model ?

Bob_in_OKC likes this.
  18. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

Torii MK3. It’s fun to get back to it after putting it away for the summer.

Slippers-on and jonwoody like this.
  19. rangda

rangda Forum Resident

I got really lucky in that GIK had a fabric color that is extremely close to the wall color. It does help them blend in but there is only so much you can do with a 5' x 2' x 4" panel. They at least don't scream "hey look at me!" which is about all you can hope for.

Sort of how I feel actually, I was going to finally upgrade the system after 23 years but my company's stock was a victim of the stock market meltdown this spring, and all my play money is company options. So that's on hold for a while.

Those feet actually come with the GIK panels, they are free standing bass traps. Only thing I did was add felt to the bottoms to keep them from scratching the floors.

Two reasons:
    1. In that corner of the basement is the furnace room, putting the rack off center puts the turntable right over the wall of the furnace room underneath giving it some support (the floor is pretty springy). With the turntable there you can jump up and down in the room and it doesn't move.
    2. I have toyed off and on with doing a separate home theater system in the room, that space is large enough for a small rack for a receiver and Blu-ray player. Alternately something to get the new releases record bins off the floor so I don't have to bend. I have a bad back, bending can be a challenge. Getting down isn't the problem but getting back up can be.
    I'd actually like to put the rack off to the side under the window (which is all dead space), but it won't fit with the chair we have now. I'd love to get an egg chair for the room but haven't found one in a color that would fit the room at a non-insane price. If I ever get a smaller side chair I might try moving the rack, but the rack empty is ~250lb and it's got a 100lb TNT on it; that whole bad back thing makes moving that a challenge.

I also (finally) have a new light to replace that godawful ceiling fan that I was going to replace 6 months after we moved in (in 1998, that plan did not work out so well). I'll post another picture once I get the rest of the ceiling panels up and get the lights replaced.

After that I have to figure out what I'm going to do (if anything) about the fireplace.

20. serif

serif Well-Known Member

Amazing room and system!
    May i ask what the blue & green dot markings are used for on your records?

Freddy's Dead likes this.
  21. Freddy's Dead

Freddy's Dead Forum Resident

Thanks! Just my system to grade my records. I have so many to grade still and I think I need to re-grade a lot of them ...........or I'm even thinking of just removing all of them as I remember most of them but:

1 green sticker is A
    2 green is A+
    3 green is A++
    4 green is A+++

blue stickers are for 1/2 a green, meaning in between the greens.

All of my records that don't deserve an A are either in the "for sale pile" or just stored away separately with a very few exceptions like the MOV of AIC's Dirt - which I just keep in the A bins...well, just because. I think that is a B record but kept it with the orignal Europe pressing and one of the new represses. I'll probably sell it someday though because I very much doubt I'll ever listen to it again. If I ever have time I'll do a better job of organizing in my Discogs collection also although it wouldn't be within their 4 star rating becuase 1 star would mean it is terrible.

jonwoody and serif like this.
  22. baja

baja Forum Resident

... wow amazing systems & rooms. Congratulation, guys.
    My Mono & Stereo rigs haven't changed for years. Since I switched to hf-speakers I am pretty satisfied. Just switching sometimes between a stereo 845 SE Amp and a mono/stereo 6C33C SE amp.

Mono in Action #1#2#3 #4

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dred, A_Lad_Insane, JUCO and 74 others like this.
  23. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Now that's what I call a proper shag rug!

Tim 2 likes this.
  24. Pauly56

Pauly56 Forum Resident

I had those Jr 149's.

sberger likes this.
  25. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

With this rig I'd forgo stereo completely.

jonwoody likes this.