SAE MC Cartridges (NOS) On eBAY

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ampexed, Oct 28, 2022.

1. krichard2496

krichard2496 Forum Resident

We just bought six and it looks like there are six left in that listing. Some eBay listings have a maximum quantity available to program by the seller, so there is the potential that this seller may add more stock to the listing later but we wouldn't count on that.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2022
    HiFi Guy likes this.
  2. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

I just bought a second one, too good of a deal not to have a spare. There are 6 left after my purchase. They will likely be gone late tonight.

3. DJSpinner

DJSpinner Forum Resident

I just pulled the trigger on an LT cart for my 2nd table since the Shure M97xE is reaching the end of the line and I'm not keen on spending $250 or so on a Jico SAS stylus replacement.

4. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

5 left Folks.

5. Ampexed

Ampexed Forum Resident Thread Starter

I wouldn't count on it either.

6. leakingwater

leakingwater Forum Resident

Someone on AK asked the seller how many they have when the sale just started, and they said something like 300 -400 for each version. So stock could last a while, although probably not for too long at the rate they are selling right now.

Dr. J. likes this.
  7. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Seller has relisted more. It does not show up on a search, but opening up completed sales shows a relist. Completed sales shows 252 sold, so if he has 300-400 per pervious post, another 48 to 148 are available.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2022
  8. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

AK ?

9. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

Probably means Audio Karma.

10. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

I received and installed mine last night. I haven’t had much time to listen to it much, but I’m happy so far.
    I did need to add a little weight to the headshell of my Oracle 345 tonearm to get the correct tracking force.

33na3rd and ranch 22b like this.
  11. ondrej

ondrej Forum Resident

Installed mine and did a little listening this morning. Everything working properly and it sounds very good indeed.

33na3rd, ranch 22b and Soundslave like this.
  12. buzshaws

buzshaws Forum Resident

I don't think the term "conical" has any relevance other than the seller chose to [improperly] word it that way for whatever reason.

I almost bought the 1000E last night because of the reports of the LT being on the bright side and people with both say the E has somewhat better bass control and slightly better midrange. Those descriptions for the E better match my preferences. Yes, the LT is a "deal" because it's the same price, but that doesn't make it automatically better sounding. I'm sure set-up is fussier on the LT and unless spot-on will give grief until it is. Having an arm with adjustable VTA is a must. So with all of that in mind you'd think I'd have ordered the E by now. Since the LT's are moving much faster I went with one of those, the idea being I'll have more time to get an E if I'm disappointed for the reasons described. I just don't like bright, lean sounding cartridges. I'm a classic series Grado (M1+) guy and somewhat apprehensive but it will certainly be an alternative flavor for a bargain price, and perhaps even make me smile, I'd like a surprise like that :agree:

13. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Bright cartridges. That is why I own an amp with tone controls so if too bright I can adjust it.

14. bjlefebvre

bjlefebvre Forum Resident

I've got two LTs and at some point I may buy an E just to check it out. They do seem to be selling at a slower rate.

15. t4t3r

t4t3r Forum Resident

All my tables have VTA but setting up the LT was no worse than another other line-contact type stylus. Only takes a few minutes to get it positioned, check alignment, set VTF, etc. I've also never had any issues setting up AT ML carts either though. I don't find the LT to sound lean at all, sounds a lot like the other ML carts I've had which is to say quite balanced but still a good amount of detail - maybe that is what other people consider "bright."

Don't think you can go wrong with either one, and I bet they sound more alike than different in the grand scheme of things.

bjlefebvre likes this.
  16. buzshaws

buzshaws Forum Resident

I'm sure you're right. I have VTA on my main table where it would get its action anyway. If I like it enough and E's are still available I may still consider one as well as an alternate, and the other tables I have without VTA can have an SAE of their own too.

Tone controls. That why I own cartridges that are balanced, so I don't have to fix what's broken :D

I don't have a problem with EQ's and tone controls, I just use them more for controlling issues in the room rather than with the system.

17. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Errr, you forgot about tuning your speakers. I do not use an equalizer full of poor sounding op-amps. I use tube type tone controls.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2022
  18. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

It's basically a typo on their part -there is nothing conical about it.
    Yes this cart. is ideal for medium mass arms and not finicky at all to set up.
    I set mine up using the Technics alignment jig then put it on my GR, set the VTF and antiskate, checked azimuth and checked VTA (very little to no adjustments on those two parameters) and it's been singing ever since.
    I just did my first needledrop with it (JJCale's Troubadour) and it sounds sublime -not bright at all, just really good and well balanced.

Rekkerds, 33na3rd and doctor fuse like this.
  19. slybry2

slybry2 Forum Resident

Just got mine installed. I completely agree with those saying this is a well balanced sounding cart. I'm really liking it!

ranch 22b and 33na3rd like this.
  20. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

I have a 740ML and I know it outperforms it -not so sure that it outperforms on the tracking, but I have the silicon fluid damper on the GR so that helps, but I have not noticed one instance of any IGD or anything like that.
    Tracking is the number one reason to get the LT over the E version, second reason would be that the LT should last longer and of course it digs up more detail.

Soundslave, doctor fuse and slybry2 like this.
  21. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

If I get a chance to try an LT I will report back on some torture tests (test LP and some records of difficult music). No guarantee though.

TSWisla and Soundslave like this.
  22. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Unlikely for the reasons I posted upthread.

23. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Great, but none of those people are really testing the cartridge properly either. I respect Needlestein's results, but would still test anything I got myself. See upthread.

24. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Would you be willing/able to upload and post a short sample please? If you feel so inclined, I'd love to also hear the same sample, but from the 740ML, so I can compare the two.

If that's a big PITA, please do not feel pressured, it's okay. :)

25. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

PM sent.