95th Academy Awards (March 12, 2023)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MikaelaArsenault, Nov 8, 2022.

1. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident Thread Starter

3. SirCandy

SirCandy Forum Resident

... and the Award for " Best Slap " goes to...
    [​IMG]

Vidiot, Dudley Morris, Andrew and 7 others like this.
  4. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident

Leave it to the Academy; they want to save their ratings, so they bring back the host whose two shows got such awful ratings that it plunged them into a hostless ceremony. And this is coming from someone who likes the guy!

(I do understand playing it safe after what happened last year, though)

5. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Didn't he just get attacked by twitter weirdos over his 'racist' Emmy hosting? It looks like they are inviting controversy to get ratings.

6. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident

For some context, Kimmel was dragged on the stage flat on his back by Will Arnett while actress Quinta Brunson from Abbott Elementary accepted her Best Comedy Series writing Emmy (her first ever Emmy, she's first ever black woman to win the award). Brunson had to walk over Kimmel's prone body, where he then laid on-stage for the entirety of her speech and ensuing commercial break.

Completely moved the spotlight from the winner to himself, and given the landmark win that Brunson's was, it definitely ignited some controversy then. If anything, it's a serious ding in audiences belief that he's respecting the creatives for the very ceremonies he's hosting; it's strange that he's back as Oscar host.

I feel like we need Kimmel in a "Conan O'Brien Needs a Friend" format - stripped down, authentic and genuinely gut-busting. The gig 'Host of the Academy Awards' provides none of this.

MikaelaArsenault and unclefred like this.
  7. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Kimmel renewed his contract in Sept for another 3 years. I view this booking as an extension of that. I also wonder if it's a gig in Hollywood nobody else wants as award shows have been bad after Gervais Globes January 2020.

Kimmel, doing the entire gig in "Weekend at Bernie's" mode might be funnier than him telling jokes, as shown by that Emmy incident.

MikaelaArsenault and Brendan K like this.
  8. Frozensoda

Frozensoda Forum Resident

It’s funny, the older I get the less I care about these shows.
    I haven’t myself turned on an awards show in years.

Dyland, JohnG, arley and 2 others like this.
  9. agaraffa

agaraffa Senior Member

And it only took eight posts in a thread about an award show for someone to post a response saying that they don't care about award shows. :confused: I'm not trying to be confrontational or start an argument, I just never understand the motivation. I'm not a fan of the Grateful Dead (along with many other bands discussed here), but I don't go to threads that feature discussions about them just to say that I don't care about them.

10. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

We USED to like the award shows and now we don't, plus tv ratings are a fraction of what they were a decade ago. 2 ways your Dead analogy fails.

There are 3-4 ways they could help bring back viewers, but getting a host like Kimmel is not among them.

11. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I predict a bunch of films that no more than twelve people have seen get nominated.

JohnG, johnod, Front Row and 6 others like this.
  12. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Are you a "Twitter weirdo" for opposing his love of performing in blackface? The Academy Awards have become so irrelevent and no longer have the cachet that they once had. Kimmel and the Oscar's deserve each other.

MikaelaArsenault and RSteven like this.
  13. MichaelH

MichaelH Forum Resident

I watch the Oscar's every year even though more often than not a bunch of no-name films get nominated. It's just the spectacle of the thing that keeps me coming back. It would be nice if something like The Batman or The Secrets of Dumbledore gets nominated, but I wouldn't bet on it.

RSteven and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  14. shadowhillway

shadowhillway Forum Resident

looks like Lena Waithe was the first:

MikaelaArsenault and Brendan K like this.
  15. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident

After further digging you're right. "Thanksgiving", the winning episode from Master of None was co-written with Aziz Ansari - Brunson is the first solo win but Waithe was the first overall.

Definitely worth clarifying, thanks (was pulling from Brunson's wiki, should have double checked)

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  16. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

It will be interesting to see what the contenders are over the next few weeks. I’m not generally in favour of having more than 5 Best Picture nominees, but I’ve seen two really good independent movies this week that might be contenders under a longer list, Banshees of Inisherin with Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleason, well directed, and Living, a 1950’s period piece which has a great lead turn by Bill Nighy that ought to be worth a best actor nod. Also plan to see Triangle of Sadness, a comedy which has had good reviews (and maybe won at Cannes ?).

17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Of those already released in 2022, the only popcorn movie that has a shot at Best Picture is "Top Gun: Maverick".

Not counting the new "Black Panther" that just came out today, but I'm avoiding reviews of it so I don't know where it stands.

The "Avatar" sequel could have a shot, too, depending on how it goes.

"The Batman" was fairly well-regarded but not impactful enough for BP consideration.

And "Dumbledore" was essentially a box office flop that got mediocre reviews - which it deserved, as it's blah like the 1st 2 "Beasts" movies. It doesn't deserve BP attention at all.

18. Front Row

Front Row Finding pleasure when annoying those with OCD.

I used to make a special dinner for my wife because she liked the awards show so much. A few years ago she said, "I am going to DVR this and just fast forward to the stuff I like. It should take me about a half hour. You don't have to do anything special." It may not be the AA awards show in itself that has fallen from its pedestal but rather a casualty resulting from movies in general have lost some magic or luster that it once had and that affects the attractiveness to celebrations around the celluloid industry. Going to the show or renting a movie used to be a marked occasion but now it has become ordinary. Access to movies is so easy and common that it may have tarnished the glitter of the AA night.

19. unclefred

It does seem they keep shooting themselves in the foot. The altered nomination rules they enacted a couple of years ago have already bit them and sure aren't bringing in viewers.

20. Front Row

Front Row Finding pleasure when annoying those with OCD.

If the Academy wanted to be controversial and get great ratings then Dave Chappelle should be the host. Golden Globes went with Gervais and that was a hit. With Chappelle, everybody wins. We get a good show and the thin skinned morality police on the social sites get to whine about Dave's jokes for months. :pineapple:

21. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

Requirements for a good awards show host:

1. They have to be classy. It's a big, fancy night, they have to know how to keep it reigned in.
    2. They have to be fast on their feet. If something funny happens, or something goes wrong, they have to know how to handle it.
    3. They have to have a presence on stage. Just because you are a big name movie or TV actor doesn't mean you know what to do standing on a stage in front of hundreds of people.

I think since Billy Crystal did such a good job, producers think that stand-up comics are automatically a good choice. They can be, but it seems they tend to go off-script more often than not.

I'm beyond the point of caring, though. I haven't watched or cared about the academy awards in years.

22. MichaelH

MichaelH Forum Resident

To each their own. I really loved the first two Fantastic Beasts movies and thought this third one was even better. I know it's set before Voldemort and Harry Potter show up, but the story it tells with Newt Scamander and his awesome creatures, not to mention his friends and Dumbledore himself is equally as good as anything in the Harry Potter series. Just my opinion of course.

23. unclefred

I second Chappelle!

24. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Of course.

But even without my opinion, it just had no shot at an Oscar BP nom. It might get some attention for effects or costumes, though even there, probably not since it came out early-ish in the year and didn't do good business.

The movie got iffy reviews, didn't sell tickets at a level expected of a big budget franchise movie and didn't seem especially well received by fans.

I think "The Batman" might've had a shot at some Oscar love if it came out later in the year, though still probably not BP. However, it came out early enough that voters will probably have forgotten it by early 2023.

As I noted, a BP nod for "Maverick" is a possibility, and maybe "Wakanda" and/or "Avatar 2".

Unless there's a big blockbuster yet to come over the next 7 weeks that doesn't rise to mind, those seem like the only potential BP noms for popcorn flicks.

25. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/oscar-noms-2023-1.6723623

Here are the nominees:

Best picture
    • All Quiet on the Western Front
    • The Banshees of Inisherin
    • Elvis
    • Everything Everywhere All At Once
    • The Fabelmans
    • Tár
    • Top Gun: Maverick
    • Triangle of Sadness
    • Women Talking
    Actor in a leading role
    • Austin Butler, Elvis
    • Colin Farrell, The Banshees of Inisherin
    • Brendan Fraser, The Whale
    • Paul Mescal, Aftersun
    • Bill Nighy, Living
    Actress in a leading role
    • Cate Blanchett, Tár
    • Ana de Armas, Blonde
    • Andrea Riseborough, To Leslie
    • Michelle Williams, The Fabelmans
    • Michelle Yeoh, Everything Everywhere All at Once
    Directing
    • Martin McDonagh, The Banshees of Inisherin
    • Daniel Kwan and Daniel Scheinert, Everything Everywhere All At Once
    • Todd Field, Tár
    • Steven Spielberg, The Fabelmans
    • Ruben Östlund, Triangle of Sadness
    Cinematography
    • Bardo, False Chronicle of a Handful of Truths
    • Elvis
    • Empire of Light
    • Tár
    Actress in a supporting role
    • Angela Bassett (Black Panther: Wakanda Forever)
    • Hong Chau (The Whale)
    • Kerry Condon (The Banshees of Inisherin)
    • Jamie Lee Curtis (Everything Everywhere All At Once)
    • Stephanie Hsu (Everything Everywhere All At Once)
    Actor in a supporting role
    • Brendan Gleeson, The Banshees of Inisherin
    • Brian Tyree Henry, Causeway
    • Judd Hirsch, The Fabelmans
    • Barry Keoghan, The Banshees of Inisherin
    • Ke Huy Quan, Everything Everywhere All At Once
    Animated feature film
    • Pinocchio
    • Puss in Boots: The Last Wish
    • Marcel the Shell with Shoes On
    • The Sea Beast
    • Turning Red
    Achievement in costume design
    • Babylon
    • Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
    • Elvis
    • Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris
    Animated short film
    • The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse
    • The Flying Sailor
    • Ice Merchants
    • My Year of Dicks
    • An Ostrich Told Me the World Is Fake and I Think I Believe It
    Live action short film
    • An Irish Goodbye
    • Ivalu
    • Le Pupille
    • Night Ride
    • The Red Suitcase
    Makeup and hairstyling
    • The Batman
    • Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
    • Elvis
    • The Whale
    Music (original score)
    • Babylon
    • Everything Everywhere All at once
    • The Fabelmans
    Sound
    • All Quiet On the Western Front
    • The Batman
    • Elvis
    Writing (adapted screenplay)
    • Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery
    • Living
    • Women Talking
    Writing (original screenplay)
    • Tár
    • The Fabelmans
    • Triangle of Sadness
    The 95th Academy Awards will air on March 12, 2023.

Chris DeVoe, alexpop, Vidiot and 4 others like this.