All About Orson Welles*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by NickySee, Nov 11, 2022.

1. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Orson Welles was one of the greatest entertainers of the 20th century. There are so many tangental threads about Welles in the forum but not a single general one dedicated to the late filmmaker, magician, raconteur, con-man, adventurer... Why not start with Orson shooting the breeze with various talk show hosts -

Last edited: Nov 11, 2022
    Ando II, aussievinyl, ash1 and 11 others like this.
  2. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

Love orson, everything about him...

ash1, longdist01 and NickySee like this.
  3. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

4. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

5. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I love Orson, but you have to chuckle.

6. Post-Punk Monk

Post-Punk Monk Seeking divinity in records from '78-'85 or so…

Was wondering if this thread was about the almost as interesting
    [​IMG]
    Orson Bean!

Scooterpiety, Sean, wayne66 and 3 others like this.
  7. DankFridge

DankFridge Forum Resident

MUHaaahhh the Frenchhh

Sean, aussievinyl, longdist01 and 6 others like this.
  8. DankFridge

The noir thriller Mr. Arkadin is my favorite of the master's. Orson once again plays a reclusive millionaire. It has the same carnival/freak show feel of Touch Of Evil with endless strange character actors. For some reason Welles re-dubbed over a dozen of their voices himself. It has a reputation as another "unfinished" Welles film but but it feels really complete to me. Criterion assembled a "comprehensive cut" with all existing footage, it is a great picture. There's many existing international cuts, a novel by Welles and a radio play of it as well. The story obviously meant a lot to him. Orson left a giant endless puzzle.

EVOLVIST, Sean, Regginold31 and 4 others like this.
  9. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

The fact that a major Hollywood studio spoofed this just gives it full credibility...

Uncle Meat, Old Rusty, ash1 and 9 others like this.
  10. ArchFates

ArchFates Forum Resident

Orson Welles is probably my favorite director, Chimes at Midnight is probably his best movie, although Citizen Kane and Touch of Evil are very close contenders, shame that we're never going to see the complete Magnificent Ambersons or The Lady from Shanghai, but at least we got The Other Side of the Wind. Hard to imagine what would've been TOSOTW's reception back in the mid-late 70s, especially the general movie-going audience's reaction.

11. bostonscoots

bostonscoots Forum Resident

My introduction to Orson Welles was Orson Welles as the bon vivant, talk show raconteur and credibility-on-loan shill/narrator. Orson on the Tonight Show! Orson in The Muppet Movie! Orson re-introducing me to the reunited cast of Star Trek: The Motion Picture!

Only much later did I discover Orson Welles as a significant and influential creative force - and Hollywood's original maverick.

12. team2

team2 Forum Resident

Here is his introduction to the B&W "film noir" episode of Moonlighting from 1985 (filmed five days before he passed):

swedwards1960, Sean, Morpheus and 6 others like this.
  13. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

+ 1

I think Touch of Evil might be his apex. Not only does he write and direct it, but he also turns in a fantastic performance. A Hat Trick for the ages.

14. ArchFates

ArchFates Forum Resident

The Trial is a great movie too, but kinda hard to watch, probably the best depiction of nightmare in movies I've ever seen.

15. nutsfortubes

nutsfortubes They tried to kill us, and we won!

Where Steven Spealburg learned his chops.

NickySee likes this.
  16. Big Jimbo

Big Jimbo Forum Resident

To use the overused word irony Orson Welles life ended up resembling Charles Foster Kane’s a lot: quite a few projects never finished. Still one of the most fascinating people to ever come out of the entertainment industry.

ash1, 64FALCON, longdist01 and 2 others like this.
  17. nutsfortubes

nutsfortubes They tried to kill us, and we won!

truly caused a panic.

longdist01 and NickySee like this.
  18. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I never knew they did that. Thanks for posting...

19. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

I read the book in high school and then my literature level German course in college was Kafka. Fast forward some years and I am studying in Germany and The Trial- overdubbed German- is showing at the reperatory theater. I th ought it was pretty good.

longdist01 likes this.
  20. ArchFates

ArchFates Forum Resident

Only really unfinished movies he started to shoot were Don Quixote, The Deep, Merchant of Venice and The Other Side of the Wind. Merchant of Venice and TOSOTW weren't really due Welles; The reels for Merchant of Venice were stolen and TOSOTW got into a huge legal limbo, wikipedia article has very extensive history on the production. The Deep was apparently most finished shooting except for the climax and dubbing, and I'm not sure how complete his Don Quixote actually is.

ash1 and NickySee like this.
  21. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Here it is with the original Pinky & The Brain audio.....Maurice LaMarche nailed it.....

22. 64FALCON

64FALCON Forum Resident

Obscure Audio 2: Orson Welles Outtakes - Frozen Peas. (This clip runs 5 minutes 56 seconds on YT).

CRUMB CRISP COATING? IT'S TOUGH ON THE ((EAR))! HE ISN'T THINKING! YOU'RE SUCH PESTS! :evil:

guidedbyvoices and NickySee like this.
  23. DankFridge

Another bump for F For Fake. Really fun and one of a kind film essay. The editing and pacing are brisk enough to still be enjoyed by a non-Welles fan/someone with a more contemporary attention span.

24. 64FALCON

64FALCON Forum Resident

If you fancy watching "slumming Orson" then check out THE WITCHING (1972). Orson is 'Mr. Cato', who wants to bring his dead son back to Life . . . but how to do it? Orson decides to use Pamela Franklin for his 'revival' goals!

25. ArchFates

ArchFates Forum Resident

Welles editing style was always pretty "modern", and they did fantastic job replicating it in The Other Side of the Wind, which I was very pleasantly surprised, and TOSOTW being pretty hectic was apparently a bit too much even for some younger people, but I really liked it.

longdist01 and DankFridge like this.