Discogs Feedback for Wrong Pressing

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Anaplian, Nov 10, 2022.

1. Anaplian

Anaplian Rise and Reverberate Thread Starter

I'm something of a neophyte buyer on Discogs - only bought around 8 LPs via the platform.

I have just received a copy of La Folie by the The Stranglers from a seller on Discogs. I ordered an early pressing with a lyric inner - what I got was a later pressing without lyrics.

I'm planning to keep the record which I've received. But I'm wondering whether to leave neutral or negative feedback. Is selling the wrong pressing common behaviour? Would others leave neutral or negative feedback?

2. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Does the item shipped exactly match all the info in the Discogs listing, but it's simply not the one you want? Then leave positive or no feedback at all (seller sold what Discogs described).

Does the item differ in any way from the info in the Discogs listing, and was that difference not noted in the comments for the listing? Then return it or ask for a price reduction. If the seller gives you a hassle, leave a negative (AND force a return, through PayPal if necessary).

Was the difference very slight, probably an honest mistake, and the seller makes good? Positive feedback.

Was the different substantial, but possibly an honest mistake, and the seller makes good? Neutral.

Was the difference substantial, and clearly the seller was trying to pull a fast one? Negative.

Anaplian and no.nine like this.
  3. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Don’ t leave any feedback until you give the seller the chance to respond, or make good on the order. If they refuse to take care of the matter to your satisfaction, then you’re good to leave negative feedback.

AaronW and impalaboy like this.
  4. impalaboy

impalaboy Forum Resident

Before leaving feedback, I would contact the seller and see if you can work with them on the issue. It's always best to try to work out problems before leaving feedback. It will also give you an idea as to what kind of seller this person is if they don't want to try to work something out.

5. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

As others have said, contact the seller first. If you want to keep the album, they may give you a discount. Many sellers are keen to avoid bad feedback, and try to placate the buyer first. It may be an honest error. Getting the exact pressing specified can be difficult for the seller to get right (in my view), not least because UK LP releases were often made in Germany or Holland, but good sellers tend to specify if (say) a printed lyric sheet or other insert etc. is missing. I try to avoid giving negative feedback, but have just left some on a buyer that messed me around for 2 weeks (several issues). I always give good feedback if the service is good (album as described, well packed, quickly shipped, good comms etc.).

6. plentyofjamjars67

plentyofjamjars67 Forum Resident

I'd always wait as far as giving any feedback, easy on that button for now. I would definitely contact the seller in a polite manner over this. However, I would want to return it and try again with another seller who looks on the ball with maybe some additional comments from them on description that don't read insane or use word like gloss (they looked at it only). By the time I place any order on discogs (and oh I've placed plenty), I know that I'm dealing with someone who would admit mista...wouldn't make that mistake in the first place! That's the key. 100% isn't always an accurate reflection on the seller, but it's usually an indication the seller doesn't generally make such general, no attention to deal style mistakes as the one you're dealing with now (if they tell you that was one of the first things they listed on there, that's common and no surprise).

7. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Always speak to the seller first, anything less is just wrong. I can only imagine what it'd feel like to be perusing my feedback and a negative hits me in the face, knowing he never reached out to me first.
    Your conversation should make it clear what feedback to leave.
    Best of luck.

8. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Contact the seller. While it sucks, mistakes do happen. Maybe he even had two copies listed and sent out the wrong one. Either way, maybe find your copy and how much it goes for. Then see if he's willing to refund to cover the difference in value. If you don't do anything and just leave feedback, chances are Discogs could take down your feedback if the seller requests a review.

Anaplian likes this.
  9. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

One thing to consider... sometimes listings get updated and items for sale wind up being different versions because of a merge or that pressing not being put up before but matched closely enough that the seller didn't realize it was a little different.

(Longest sentence of the day!!!)

Anaplian and impalaboy like this.
  10. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Force a return through PP is necessary, get the refund first and then leave negative feedback. Feedback should be the last thing, a parting gift to the seller... after everything finally shakes out.

11. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yeah, 100% agree. Feedback is always after everything else is over and done.

And NEVER, EVER mention feedback before that point. Just quietly leave it when you're done. Never threaten bad feedback or mention the word "feedback" in any way.

cwitt1980 and Dave like this.
  12. Iving

Iving 'Neath Kishmul's walls

I just received 2 records in the post from Discogs. Both badly and obviously over-graded. Messaged the Seller to make the point - and he left me negative feedback just because he didn't like what I was saying. I still haven't left any feedback at all.

This is the big difference between Discogs and eBay. All the bad Sellers have gone to Discogs where they can be unaccountable - even abusive towards Buyers they have already victimised.

Discogs - a great information resource - but the most toxic buying platform on the planet.