Joni Mitchell ‘Asylum Albums (1972-1975)’ Box Set Due 9/23/22

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by belardd, Jul 28, 2022.

1. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

Someone on this thread was talking about a strategy being worked on and basically because of that I let my return window close.
    I hope it wasn't someone talking out of their backside or even worse someone who actually wanted to achieve that goal on behalf of Rhino.
    In any case I have now reached the conclusion that they will not replace the CDs, which means this archive series ends here for me.

CBackley, Eric_Generic and rod like this.
  2. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Yes, I'm not hugely happy with having a defective set but at least all the packaging, sleeves etc are pristine and the issue is something I can work around (though obviously that shouldn't be necessary).

That email response from Rhino asking for photos is astonishing.

EG.

Steve356, sennj and horslips like this.
  3. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

Here is the post from someone apparently in the know. Care to comment on why it takes them more than one month to communicate this strategy? Does it really exist?

4. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I'm just hoping it's still "early days". Wheels moving slowly, etc.

EG.

sennj likes this.
  5. horslips

horslips I'd rather be out on my bike!

I heading nothing from Rhino but if they asked me for a photo of the damage I would send them a picture of the shiny side of the CD. That's where the damage is, after all.

6. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

I'm not sure if the AAA question had been definitively answered in this thread yet, but a response to my video, in which I pose the question of digital or analog, confirmed my suspicion. The reply is from Patrick Milligan, who co produced the set with Joni and worked with Bernie on it. He told me "They are absolutely cut from the original analog master tapes and are not digital"
    Here's the review he responded if you'd like to see it:

7. Yourmindandwe

Yourmindandwe Forum Resident

I received the vinyl box set from the jonimitchell.com site. Arrived with For the Roses sleeve having a large seam split. Visible through the shrinkwrap round the box. I've sent a note to them via the contact section on the order. Has anyone else had a problem like this with the box or a reply from the customer service folk?

8. bmusic

bmusic Forum Resident

I’m still in the fence with this one. Joni Mitchell is one of my all-time favorite artist, but I have all but miles of aisles on record. Are there any more people who have compared the new box set records to the originals or rhino reissues? I would especially like to hear about court and Spark, hissing of Summer lawns, and for the Roses

Revolver likes this.
  9. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

MoFi just announced six Joni albums for SACD and costly vinyl:

Coming Soon

10. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Oh boy, Hejira on SACD!

:drool:

EG.

11. terrapinstation

terrapinstation They call him lysosome ‘cause he runs so fast…

Sorry if this has been said already, but is there any word on when the unreleased-material-portion of this era is set to be released?

These are my three favorite Joni albums and I’d love for there to be official releases of the Hissing demos and to get to hear outtakes from Court and Soark and For the Roses, too.

yesstiles likes this.
  12. DougB217

DougB217 Forum Resident

My copy arrived today. In addition to the duplicated song on C&S, the last 2 seconds of "Free Man In Paris" has some weird error. Back to amazon it goes.

sennj likes this.
  13. moops

moops Senior Member

With regard to the error on C & S, does it cause your player to repeat the track or does the disc play fine, it’s just the track appears twice in the running order ?

Sorry, I know this info is probably in the thread somewhere, but ….

14. DougB217

DougB217 Forum Resident

The disc play fine, it’s just the track appears twice in the running order.

moops likes this.
  15. moops

moops Senior Member

Thank you, that’s annoying but better than a disc causing your player to malfunction. Just wondering if I should grab this anyway.

16. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

Sorry, but I haven't done direct comparisons with my nice originals, but they haven't left the shelf as the box sounds that good.

bmusic likes this.
  17. CrankSomeFrank

CrankSomeFrank The eons are closing.

How does one get a major discount on the bad Ryko CDs? Asking for a friend.

moops likes this.
  18. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

My first box had a similar thing with the Hissing... disc. So clearly there are/were other problems with the manufacturing of these sets, beyond the duplicated track.

EG.

sennj and DougB217 like this.
  19. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

Looks like next year.

20. Yourmindandwe

Is the separately available vinyl of For The Roses exactly the same as the box set version except the lp is blue instead of black? Ie the same jacket and serial number and same mastering?

21. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

Yes. And there is a black vinyl standalone, too.

For anyone still worried about sources, here’s the writeup on JM’s official website:

Rhino will mark the 50th anniversary of Joni Mitchell’s 1972 album ‘For The Roses’ with a new black vinyl reissue available at all retailers. An aqua blue pressing will follow on November 11. The color variant is an Amazon exclusive in the US, and will be available at various independent record stores in other territories. ​

Previously only available in the recent ‘Asylum Albums 1972-1975’ box set, the remastered album will now be available on its own, using the same sources as the box set. The records were cut by Bernie Grundman directly from the original analog master tapes, and both variations of ‘For The Roses’ are pressed at Optimal, as the ‘Asylum Albums’ box set was.​

US links: Black vinyl - Blue vinyl. For other territories, contact your favorite record store for order details.​

22. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

Pretty sure I have all her albums from when they were released. Been a fan since she arrived on the scene. These two box sets & Carnegie Hall show, all on vinyl, are simply amazing. Fresh copies with no pops or signs of wear, plus mastered with holographic clarity leaves me breathless. I’m really grateful for these.

23. Yourmindandwe

For anyone still worried about sources, here’s the writeup on JM’s official website:

Rhino will mark the 50th anniversary of Joni Mitchell’s 1972 album ‘For The Roses’ with a new black vinyl reissue available at all retailers. An aqua blue pressing will follow on November 11. The color variant is an Amazon exclusive in the US, and will be available at various independent record stores in other territories.​

Previously only available in the recent ‘Asylum Albums 1972-1975’ box set, the remastered album will now be available on its own, using the same sources as the box set. The records were cut by Bernie Grundman directly from the original analog master tapes, and both variations of ‘For The Roses’ are pressed at Optimal, as the ‘Asylum Albums’ box set was.​

US links: Black vinyl - Blue vinyl. For other territories, contact your favorite record store for order details.​
    [/QUOTE]

bluemooze likes this.
  24. Yourmindandwe

[/QUOTE]
    Posted in error apologies

25. Bob Furem

Bob Furem Well-Known Member

I have contacted Rhino several times about the Court and Spark CD mastering error...to no avail. They are probably quite embarrassed to have screwed up such a prestigious release. Also, they may not care about those of us who plopped down a mere 40 dollars, as opposed to 100 for the vinyl. They should at least let us no their intentions. That would be the decent thing to do.