Check out this crazy Discogs seller.

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by imsjry, Nov 16, 2022.

1. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident Thread Starter

An original Sgt Pepper mono for $15! An original UK Ziggy for $15! London Calling for $14! OG The Chronic for $16. All Mint with no shipping!

No way in heck this is for real, right? I’ve never seen such insanity on Discogs before. Are scammers becoming more commonplace there? I’ve been super lucky.

AntonyHernandez

Crimson Witch and black sheriff like this.
  2. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Zero seller rating. That just means no buyer has rated the seller yet - someone's got to be the first !
    The Discogs account that seller started this very day

Last edited: Nov 16, 2022
  3. SongAndDanceMan

SongAndDanceMan Forum Resident

These kind of scammers are becoming more and more commonplace. They are pretty easy to spot though. No reviews, all grail or sought after albums for cheap in great shape, and some stupid "look how innocent me and my family are" picture

AaronW, hi_watt and JerseyPride like this.
  4. JerseyPride

JerseyPride Forum Resident

There's a seller rating now:

Rating Order Buyer Feedback by date
    Negative Order
    Nov 16, 2022 02:27 PM
    1 item [​IMG]sheberin
    100.0% positive (235) Scam! Do not buy!!!!
    feedback left on: Nov 16, 2022 02:27 PM

Crimson Witch and Aftermath like this.
  5. Leugi

Leugi Forum Resident

These scammers have really proliferated on discogs the past few weeks. Not sure why.

LordThanos1969 likes this.
  6. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Buyer be wary (lol)...

7. Jeff57

Jeff57 Senior Member

I sent him a message about the Sabbath Paranoid 1st UK pressing on Vertigo. Let's see if he answers me showing a photo of himself displaying the Vertigo swirl label.

imsjry likes this.
  8. zbarbera

zbarbera A stereo's a stereo. Art is forever!

My guess. He has no idea what he's doing. I bet he has the titles but they are all the latest pressings he bought to look cool next to his Crosley. And now he's decided to sell them because they are taking up space and he doesn't listen. So he searches then lists them for sale under the first listing he finds.

9. SongAndDanceMan

SongAndDanceMan Forum Resident

No I'm sure it's "oh I don't have PayPal you'll have to send via bank transfer" type thing that is going rampant on Discogs recently. They are going to have to make some changes

mikeja75 and eddiel like this.
  10. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

Times are tough :shake:

905, Myke and Dave like this.
  11. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

12. DPK

DPK Forum Resident

But he has PayPal, according to his seller terms. And he offers to meet buyers in person in Manassas Park, Virginia. Weird that he'd add that detail. I guess maybe to make him look legitimate/trustworthy?

eddiel likes this.
  13. imsjry

But I just wanna believe! That mint original Tribe Called Quest has my name all over it.

zbarbera likes this.
  14. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Discogs is a niche platform that is not going to be the first place that someone with amazing stuff and not enough of a clue is going to list their stuff properly.

Someone who actually had amazing titles at bargain prices might post on eBay. Though there are tons of scams on eBay too.

But Ma and Pa Kettle cleaning out their son's record collection once he views aren't going to have the faintest idea of what Discogs is or how to list on it.

eddiel likes this.
  15. Crimson Witch

If they just started the seller account today, how could there be legit buyer feedback on the same day ?

16. zbarbera

zbarbera A stereo's a stereo. Art is forever!

That's exactly the one that caught my eye! A few weeks ago I was hunting for a copy but gave up.

But he's also got some 2022 stuff listed that the $12 or $15 seems right in line for. Maybe it's a scam and has been starting to happen more often. Who knows. I'm not going to find out!

Hahahahaha. Check out the price history on the Sabbath. There's plenty of suckers out there apparently.

It's obvious that it's either a scam or the seller doesn't know what he's selling. But plenty of people are buying.

Black Sabbath - Paranoid

17. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

He doesn't know what he is selling. Early eBay was a goldmine with listings of gold.

18. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

It's been increasing as of late. At first it was mostly dormant accounts being hacked and taken over. Then I noticed more and more new sellers turning up with the tell tale signs of scam.

As for why? Because there are two things that Discogs provides scammers, easy to set up an account & start selling and a large pool of marks.

19. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Buyers see the prices, lose their common sense, buy, get their common sense back, realise they are scammed, leave feedback right away.

Or, seller is using shill accounts. Shill account buys, doesn't pay, transaction cancelled, shill leaves positive feedback to make account look legit.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  20. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

They set it up to look legit but usually when buyer goes to pay PayPal declines the payment. Next step is for the buyer to contact seller who will then ask the seller to pay via donation/F&F instead.

That seller will never meet anyone in Manassas Park, Virginia. If someone asks to do just that, there will be an issue where the seller can't meet.

21. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I don't know what they can to stop it but it would be good if they found a way.

The amazing thing about all of this is how many people still fall for it still.

22. Crimson Witch

This is a good example of one of the reasons I only buy from Discogs sellers I have done good business with in the past.

23. imsjry

Looking glass is half full, I'd love to believe that. But ALL of them are Mint with no shipping and the same price points?

EDIT-User has been suspended.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  24. Crimson Witch

I've never seen “ground-zero” , a fresh startup , for a Discogs seller before. It might be fun to scope out the seller's first several customers' feedback comments and find out what the deal is.

Edit *
    Well there are now the first five - all negative comments , all saying scam.

This seller is already belly-up in the water!

25. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

I don't know what's worse.

The sellers, or the losers that thought they could grab mint copies of a mono Sgt Pepper for $15