SH Spotlight I'm asked stuff: Favorite mastering engineer, best BOSTON CD, best TRAVELING WILBURYS CD, etc..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Barbara Mandrell bump.

2. WhatDoIKnow

WhatDoIKnow I never got over it, I got used to it

Thank you for the bump Steve.
    Reading your memories of Barbara Mandrell makes me feel like everything will be well, that whatever the difficulties we'll get through. Being romantic is cool and I didn't know it :righton:

guitarman1969 likes this.
  3. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

She was a cutie in 1978.

hi_watt likes this.
  4. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

5. bresna

bresna Senior Member

Steve - I recently picked up Stan Getz & Charlie Byrd's "Jazz Samba" on a DCC gold CD and when reading the liner notes, I found myself wondering once again - What is "CD prep"? It is listed as being done by Kevin Gray on this CD.

A second question - Is this sometimes called "CD authoring" or are they different? If they are different, can you tell us the difference?

6. President_dudley

President_dudley Forum Resident

a good story well told

Mark L. likes this.
  7. TxRangersFan

TxRangersFan Senior Member

Sounds like a lady with a fun personality.

8. George P

George P Notable Member

@Steve Hoffman - The 24 Karat Gold Croce DCC CD is one of my favorite CDs. Do you recall your process of choosing which tracks from "I Got A Name" and "Life And Times"?

Rupe33 and jfeldt like this.
  9. Steve Hoffman

Mike Ragogna, Cashman & West's Tommy West and I picked our favorites. Mastered them from the original tapes. One of my favorite DCC Gold disks as well.

10. recap200

recap200 Forum Resident

Curious...could you clarify/confirm that Jim Croce: The 50th Anniversary Collection is your work? I've read bits and pieces regarding different CD covers, different masterings, etc., etc.

I own the Sasha Records CD--7 92205-2 (blue 50 on the cover). The back of the CD case reads, near the bottom: "Digitally remastered from the original master tapes by Steve Hoffman. Ditto the CD booklet, page 14.

Thanks!

11. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member

Steve,
    I picked up another copy of Poco Legend with a DWJ in cursive in the deadwax. This is a really dynamic sounding pressing on ABC. I later came across another copy on the Platinum Series with the same initials on MCA Coral. Do you know who mastered this? My original of Legend is a Masterdisk copy.

12. WisFish

WisFish Dig Them Grooves

Not to step on Steve’s toes but that DWJ signature is from the late Darrell Johnson. I am a fan of his work. I picked up that album because it had his signature in the runout.
    Darrell Johnson

13. seastman

seastman Forum Resident

@Steve Hoffman did you work with the original tapes for Cocteau Twins' "Heaven or Las Vegas" on Rock the First Vol. 10? I've always thought that song sounded really shrill and fatiguing on the original album. Were you able to work your magic on it?

Rupe33 and jamesc like this.
  14. Steve Hoffman

If my name is on it, I did it. Did a Reader's Digest version and a regular version and another one plus the two DCC Gold CD's..

Derek Gee, lpfreak1170 and recap200 like this.
  15. Steve Hoffman

I hadn't realized Darrell had died. That really bums me out, quite a talent.

16. Steve Hoffman

That was a 30 ips 1/2" 1:1 supplied by the record company per my request. Took a lot of work to even get a non-EQ'd copy.

17. hutchguv

hutchguv Rock/Metal/Prog/Pop

What happened to the cd prep question?

I was gonna say Kevin Grey probably does the tape transfer or handles the digital file they got then Steve does his eq work to make it sound good.

blacksabbathrainbow likes this.
  18. Steve Hoffman

Next time, make sure I actually see the question. I don't check this thread.

CD Prep means adding index points, basically. That's it.

No such thing as CD Authoring. Might be SACD or DVD authoring but above my paygrade.

19. WisFish

WisFish Dig Them Grooves

Did you ever work with Darrell?

20. Steve Hoffman

Watched him work many times.

Beattles likes this.
  21. WisFish

WisFish Dig Them Grooves

Was that ever at the JVC Cutting Center?

22. Steve Hoffman

MCA Studio, Universal City.

23. WisFish

WisFish Dig Them Grooves

Thanks, next question is when and what was he working on?

musictappy likes this.
  24. Steve Hoffman

A Lynyrd Skynyrd project. He was trying to get it to sound good and was having trouble with the ****ty recording quality. He was the first person I ever saw in mastering do a "reverse EQ" to get some of the glare out. This would have been 1977ish, right before he split to Precision..

wellhamsrus likes this.
  25. WisFish

WisFish Dig Them Grooves

That’s a great nerd nugget there. Thanks for sharing. Did you ever talk to him about his earlier career?