Endless supply of resealed vintage vinyl on the market

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by vinylwhistleblower, Nov 18, 2022.

1. vinylwhistleblower

vinylwhistleblower New Member Thread Starter

It's already known there are people resealing vintage vinyl with hype stickers...it's way more rampant then you think, the market is flooded.

There is a prominent eBay account who has sold thousands of sealed vintage vinyl over auction under a women's name stating she received an inheritance (check seller feedback). If you do some digging into her address, you'll find a musician also lives there who was federally convicted in the 90s for credit card fraud.

Fits the profile a bit better for someone who has an endless supply of sealed vintage vinyl.

zphage and Bingo Bongo like this.
  2. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Who is it?Handle? One guy in Texas resealed thousands pre eBay in print publications and at shows. He was kicked off the print years later and at shows he just brings thousands of 45's. Yes, there are thousands of resealeds out there soon to come to Discogs/eBay after finding out they got hosed. Yes, I've seen the one person on eBay with unlimited 60's resealeds (very well done with 60's price tags)......or they might be real. I forget the guy's handle.

3. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Seems like you should be telling ebay, as opposed to this crowd, no?

4. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Share the person's handle, so we can see the kind of tripe they're listing!

eddiel and astro70 like this.
  5. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

I want to see this lady's garbage.

6. vinylwhistleblower

eBay won't do anything since it's hard to prove resealed vinyl and there's already an expectation of scamming on eBay

Here's a link.

7. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Let's burn them alive!

astro70 likes this.
  8. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Yes, that's the eBay handle I was looking for. Seems legit. No complaints lodged.....usually a resealing stinker has them. Yes, his supply seems endless.

9. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

10. vinylwhistleblower

Even if the reseal was blatant, I think eBay wouldn't do anything, they would tell you to do your own diligence. Only if it's an obvious counterfeit and a poorly rated seller then maybe they would step in (and probably still won't).

11. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

My 1978 Van Halen promo LP was never sealed or Sabbath '78.

12. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yup. Warner stopped shipping sealed promos when they got rid of the promo fly-leaf inserts with the promos, around 1973 or so.

13. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Correct. I liked those fly-leaf thingys.

14. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Those were great...provided good background info on the LP that would otherwise be in a press kit that is easily lost.

15. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

People had to read them to get to the vinyl. Mo at his best.

16. GimiSomeTruth

GimiSomeTruth Forum Resident

‘Outing’ a seller when you have no proof is not cool. Yes, Warner promos were not sealed, but the rest look legit. However, it’s always been caveat emptor with buying sealed vintage records, going back to the pre-internet days, when getting a refund on something was essentially impossible.

Muzyck likes this.
  17. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident

Someone relatively recently had a number of sealed 1980s Japanese pressings for sale on eBay. It was tough to tell if they were legit or not, as some records manufactured in Japan in the 1980s were factory sealed for some period of time (maybe the early 1980s).

18. Hammerhead

Hammerhead Forum Resident

No affiliation or skin in this game at all, but worth noting that the seller has 100% feedback…

Do you think anyone who bought one of these opened the record?

19. vinylwhistleblower

eBay makes it easy to remove negative reviews, so the only way to get through is to leave a positive or neutral review. Check the neutral reviews, one buyer said they bought the same album 3 times with different hype stickers, another neutral review says the seller who sold the album is deceased when searching online.

If you dig through the positive reviews you'll see a sprinkle of more complaints, but unfortunately eBay is easily gamed for 100% feedback

eddiel and Quakerism like this.
  20. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Check out this bonkers feedback for that seller. :wtf:

[​IMG]

21. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Perrydcox has not a single negative feedback. Amazing.

22. vinylwhistleblower

If he has friends doing fake reviews, I wouldn't be surprised they are shill bidding on his auctions too, and just not paying if they accidentally win.

Quakerism likes this.
  23. vinylwhistleblower

There are multiple articles online [1], [2], [3] showing how easy it is to make a convincing reseal. Check the sellers neutral reviews with people attesting reseals and a sketchy seller (linked above), I can't post PII on an online forum.

24. GimiSomeTruth

GimiSomeTruth Forum Resident

I’m a record dealer, I know all about problematic reseals.

What you’re doing here could get you sued for defamation. You have no actual proof of what this seller is doing, only a hunch.

If they sold you something bogus, you can go after them for mail fraud. Otherwise, this thread should be removed.

25. vinylwhistleblower

They did sell me bogus earlier this year, which is why I know. And "go after them for mail fraud", law enforcement doesn't care, just like eBay doesn't care, I already filed complaints. From their eyes, all is good if you got your money back.

AaronW and Quakerism like this.