Michael Jackson - Thriller - upcoming MFSL SACD & One-Step

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by poe_man, May 16, 2022.

1. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

If MOFI didn't already take my money, I would have cancelled my order with them. Awful customer service

2. Panama Jack

Panama Jack Forum Resident

Can anyone who has it comment on how the SACD sounds, whether it's heavily compressed or not, how the EQ is, and how it compares to the old Sony SACD, etc.

Aoide, Dan Steely and Quark1134 like this.
  3. FWatty

FWatty Collector of Zuni Fetish Dolls

lmfao really?

4. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

We’re all to blame and yet no one should be blamed. Amazon built a better mousetrap and the world beat a path to their door. I hate to see shopping malls struggling and closing but they’re the model that initially started squeezing small shops to begin with. It’s dog eat dog I’m afraid. I’ll have to admit, I’d rather order from Amazon than go out most of the time now.

The big question is what new idea might take Amazon down? I’m afraid I’m just not that smart. Wish I was.

ARK, Kyhl, WhatDoIKnow and 2 others like this.
  5. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

Who? In Groove or MOFI?

6. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

It's on Apple TV. I am trying to get my SACD order cancelled since I'll just listen to this instead.

I wonder what would happen if an Atmos mix was placed on a SACD. Seems to me it would work if the player has an HDMI output.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2022
  7. ChickenringNYC

ChickenringNYC Forum Resident

Yep, my account is gone. There is no account under my email. Tried my alternate email just in case I misremembered using it, also no account. But at least my record shipped. I guess?

8. ChickenringNYC

Sent MoFi a bitchy email about the double whammy of wiping my account and sending the record with a 10-day plane ticket, when third party customers have been receiving their orders for a couple days now. I'm sure that will fix everything!

9. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I ordered the SACD from Music Direct last night, along with two other discs. Already received a shipping notification and tracking number.

10. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Atmos is PCM based. Wouldn't work on an SACD.

Jarleboy and Merrick like this.
  11. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

That’s kinda annoying, because I preordered mine from MD quite a while ago, and it’s currently listed as “Shippable”, whatever that means.

(I’m not really in a big hurry, but it’s strange to not ship preorders first. Please enjoy in any case!)

supermd, bruce2 and Rob Hughes like this.
  12. ChickenringNYC

Not sure how many of you are straddling the other post about the 2-CD set from Sony but man the bonus disc is getting savaged!!

ispace, WhatDoIKnow and CBackley like this.
  13. petercw2

petercw2 Forum Resident

Walked into my local record store today and there it was, just one copy, sitting on the shelf.

id preordered it from MoFi and after the revelation, canceled it. Somewhat out of protest and somewhat out of waiting to see how others found it.

well, after hearing MikeE praise it, and there it was in front of me, I bought it (and paid less than I would have from Mofi+shipping!). #23529

I’ve listened to it once and now select tracks of my OG pitman pressing - and my general reaction is that the latter (original version) sounds like someone pressed the old school “Loudness” button on the receiver in direct comparison.

My OG pressing sounds great, but the MoFi is different - more dare I say, audiophile - (wider, deeper, less compressed, more space around Mike’s voice which also isn’t as pushed forward).

but here’s the thing. I’m not convinced a more audiophile treatment is what an early 80’s disco/pop album is supposed to sound like.

very interesting, not terribly critical listening session. To those who point to the availability of “$10 original BG mastered” copies - if you can find one that isn’t beat to hell - yeah, it’s a great option vs $100. But one of the differences is noise floor and my pitman is VG+ and has a significantly louder noise floor - the MoFi is quiet (which surprised me because my copy has a couple of scuffs I was sure I’d hear, but didn’t).

Fwiw, a quick reaction from someone with both.

14. Andrew Johnston

Andrew Johnston Forum Resident

I find that some MOFIs via Amazon sometimes originate from Amazon US so take 3-7 days to get to us in Canada.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  15. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Nothing that you wrote has anything to do with this thread, but let it all out.
    do with

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  16. JackDVD78

JackDVD78 Forum Resident

I was surprised to see this MoFi is in a thinner non lift box configuration that I was used to seeing, esp for the price.

Have MoFi used this thinner style case on any of their other Ultra One Steps?

17. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

MOFI. I’m not scheduled to receive my One Step until next week. Meanwhile you already received yours from In Groove. It’s a joke

18. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

No. 26,430. Once the volume was equalized, I didn’t hear that much difference between the One Step and the 2000 Japan SACD. But it sounds great. Rocking here in Tokyo.

. . . . but, the CHAD is not my son . . .”

[​IMG]

ispace, dtyndall, scobb and 14 others like this.
  19. COBill

COBill Forum Resident

The question being whether you will have to go through $300 worth of Discogs "NM" purchases to find one that sounds halfway decent and truly is NM, rather than just "looks good."

Suddenly the One Step is less hassle.

jimhb, Kyhl and Tullman like this.
  20. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

No.000402 has arrived. Ordered direct from Mofi. I worked the This Is It rehearsals in May & June 2009.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jrr, dtyndall, aarsonbet and 16 others like this.
  21. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

this is the first time this packaging is being used and will be used for future 33 one steps only

ispace and JackDVD78 like this.
  22. Christoph1967

Christoph1967 Forum Resident

Here in Germany, Thriller One Step is number 10 on the the charts and 7 on the vinyl charts at JPC, one of the biggest online-dealers in Europe. Maybe the 40000 will sell out faster than I expected. Mine will arrive on Monday.

WhatDoIKnow and jfeldt like this.
  23. biggysteve

biggysteve Forum Resident

I received number 275 of the UD1S from Mofi this afternoon, and here is what I have shared about this release here and elsewhere. This is a home run, for me:

I have two OG Pitman pressings (one without MJ as co-producer, one with), and the Japanese Mastersound to compare against this. That Mastersound was my benchmark pressing of Thriller, but as I’ve upgraded my system and settled into a more revealing playback setup, I’ve realized that the Japanese MS is lacking, particularly in the midrange. Lots of slam and drive in the bass, and pretty good upper end detail, however. Amazingly quiet vinyl surfaces, though. Overall, par for the course for Japanese vinyl.

This ultimately left the OG Grundman mastered Pitman press as the logical successor. It sounds warm, punchy, balanced. The bass isn’t bloated, and everything seems to sit ‘just right’. Can’t go wrong. I like it. It’s the original article.

This One Step simply exceeds that old Master Sound, and the original(s) in many integral ways demanding of a milestone anniversary release. Wider soundstage, better instrument separation, amazing dynamic range. Overall less an experience you want to dance to and more an experience that commands attention to the composition and production values this album achieved, and which set the gold standard for what a pop album should be.

It’s easy to look back on Thriller as something that just happened in music that was just really, really great, inspired and supremely successful. In the United States, it’s especially easy to under appreciate the fact that Michael Jackson was/is the GOAT, and may be one of the most famous people we have ever seen in pop culture. He rose out of a soul group to aim to become a singular culture icon bigger than the Beatles, and more enduring than Elvis, and he vowed to do it as a black man. He met that goal throughout the globe, even in the face of significant personal and physical hardships that spawned tabloid frenzy, cast doubt on his authenticity, and turned wide swaths of the American public against him in debatably heinous ways. He was THAT good, and THAT compelling. Nobody looked like him. Nobody sounded like him. Nobody could remotely consider copping his style for fear of being a copy cat. We would be lucky to see another person ascend in popular culture with as much innate acumen and pure talent as a showman/singer/artist. Quincy Jones’ contributions here shall not be diminished either. He is the reason these arrangements come together in such an appealing way. Mofi has pulled back the veil on the way the tracks were laid to tape and has given us an edition of Thriller that will likely be definitive for quite some time.

ispace, benzo, Jrr and 13 others like this.
  24. David m bond

David m bond Forum Resident

25. ddorian7

ddorian7 Well-Known Member

Both my sacd and one step have been dispatched. Eager to get them after reading this thread