300B Amps - Are they really the best?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by zeitlos, Sep 3, 2022.

1. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

Nice. Enjoy. 300b are a classic for sure

jusbe and bdmcn71 like this.
  2. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

Post some pics of the new toys

3. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch The Face Of God -

4. bdmcn71

bdmcn71 Forum Resident

Thanks! 30 wpc … two 300B per chassis.

Got them back from my tech and all is good. Just waiting out the tube burn-in period for the new Gold Lion 300Bs. Pretty great right out of the box!

jonwoody, C10 and Classic Car Guy like this.
  5. Classic Car Guy

WoW.. That amp is maxed out! That's a big wattage for a monster tone amp. Enjoy. :-popcorn:
    PS Pics!

6. andrewrona

andrewrona Well-Known Member

[​IMG] This one looks promising!
    Technical Parameters:
    • Model:ES30, a Raphaelite high level serie model

• Tubes:Guiguang NOS 5AR4 ×2 Rectifiers

6SN7/6H8C×4 preamp Tubes

300B(EH)×2 Power Tubes

• Input Sensitivity:350mV

• Power Output:2×9W (RMS THD<10%)

• S/N Ratio:80dB

• Input Impedance:100kΩ

• Inputs : 3 groupes RCQ inputs

• Output Impedance:4Ω、8Ω (16ohm is possible by changing inside connection wires)

• Input voltage: AC 110v-120v or 220v-240v 50/60hz

• Power Consumption:160W

• Frequency Response:15Hz – 30KHz -3dB (THD<5%)

• Dimension:442×280×205(W-D-H)

• Net Weight:25KG

• Gross weight: 30KG

• Package volume:62*44*38CM
    Features:
    • A high level serie model with a mix of vitage and modern look,

Using single crystal copper wires fully coupled output transformer

• Inside of chassis there are two permalloy push transformers (PMHJ-7K/25K) are connected with push tube 6H8C for low distortion 1.8 times boost amplification, and make 300B more power up to 9w

• Sound features are: The sound field is wide, and the frequency response is balanced and accurate, with 300B high frequency delicate and dynamic, very high sound speed

• For some vintage 16 Ω speakers, by changing the transformer output wires cablage , Can achieve 16 Ω output impedance conversion.

• full alluminum chassis and body, and full grille cover

• With remote control

7. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Your picture didn't load what amp are you referring to?

8. andrewrona

Yes sorry unable to, It starts with the make and model, thank you.

jonwoody likes this.
  9. jonwoody

Oh sorry I managed to overlook that key line lol, and it looks like a good value would this be it?

[​IMG]

10. andrewrona

yes , thanks , and no coupling caps in the signal path, not sure which factory these are made in though !

Ham Sandwich and jonwoody like this.
  11. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

When it comes to tube amps, particularly SET amps, quality primarily comes down to the transformer used in the amp, and specifications cannot be used to identify what kind of sound the transformer will deliver. In some respects, the building of high quality transformers is a lost art, and the materials available to make such transformers can be scarce. Not that many years ago, Audio Note (uk) put up a notice on their website about the difficulty in sourcing the high nickel steel that they preferred to use in their premium transformers. In the past, when there were many more transformers being built for audio gear, it was probably easier to get steel manufacturers to make the right kind of steel for this purpose, but, when you are just one small manufacturer, it may not be worthwhile for the steel plant to make the right kind of steel.

A local dealer in my area makes "clone" versions of Western Electric 124 amps (pushpull 6L6 tube type). These amps are made with variously sourced transformers, some new transformers and various vintage transformers (Chicago, Accrosound, etc.). The young technician in the shop said that he heard various clones and liked the sound enough that he planned to build his own. However, he heard a clone that was built with the correct Western Electric transformer (171C) and this was sort of deflating because, as good as the other clones were, the one with the Western Electric transformers were MUCH better sounding but the cost was out of his reach.

12. jusbe

jusbe Modern Melomaniac

^^^ This.

jonwoody likes this.
  13. CarmineRed

CarmineRed I promise I'm very nice in person

Wow.....that's high wattage for 300B's. I would be afraid of tube life when pushing them that hard, wouldn't that be an issue?

They are expensive tubes to replace often.

jonwoody likes this.
  14. Jaytor

Jaytor DIY Enthusiast

Yes, I agree that the output transformer is probably the single most important component when it comes to sound quality, but certainly not the only thing that matters.

There are a lot fewer producers of good quality transformers compared to the middle of the last century, but there are still some dedicated suppliers making high quality products. While it could be true that the high nickel content steel alloys that were popular 50+ years ago are becoming more difficult to source, material science has progressed significantly in the last several decades. I have read that some of the amorphous and nanocrystalline materials can offer advantages over nickel-iron alloys. PTFE offers a significant advantages as an insulator and this wasn't discovered until the last 40s and has only been used broadly for wire insulation outside the aerospace industry in the last 40 years. Computer modelling for transformer design has also made it much easier to get consistently good results.

I have heard good things about Monolith Magnetics. I will probably use them for my next DIY tube amp. Tamura and Tango also have a good reputation.

15. jonwoody

Agreed I'd except 25 watts out of a pair of pushpull 300Bs and expensive replacement tubes is why I got out of the 300B game about 20 years ago!

16. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

And there's your problem.

Don't get me wrong, that's not a critique. I do it all the time, even with all the benefits of active speakers.

These days, I sit back, take a breath and just enjoy what's there. "What if..." is maybe not all that you want it to be, or if it is, something you can control but with very defined limits.

17. Classic Car Guy

Agree. That's my next OT too.

18. Classic Car Guy

There is a 300b tube you can buy that is designed to fit higher wattage setup although on a regular 8 watts they are respectively set and can run 11 watts without burning it that quick. So I don't know how will that work with your amp.
    Its something called like 300B-XLS by Emission Labs.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2022
  19. Classic Car Guy

Long before I had my amp built I had a long talk with my builder and he told me along the 300b amps that he built, He is more focused in the sweetness of the sound which goes in the way how he designs his circuit to the final dialing adjustment. He even mentioned to me that the burn-in and balance readings on the output tubes are very important not just to prolong the life but it also gives you close to 100% in tonal response where ever he had the amp set to. Its been 2 years now and all 4 tubes are still strong, well balanced and sounds amazing.
    PS: the one thing I notice since I have another set of mesh tubes with the bigger mesh structure. Its more punchier a bit warmer and can possibly a bit more power friendlier if I had the bias adjusted higher.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2022
  20. bdmcn71

bdmcn71 Forum Resident

Not sure about that. Each block has a pair of 300Bs … would it be that each block produces 15 watts? So each tube 7.5 watts.

Also, it is Push-Pull, not SET. So I think tubes are not run quite as hard?

21. andrewrona

Well Zeitlos a huge big thankyou to you. I snagged a little Italy myself, and what a performer it really is.
    I just changed in all tubes and what a heck of a difference. More to come.

zeitlos likes this.
  22. Classic Car Guy

Last few nights I been using the other amps I have for I was doing lots of recordings. Then going back to the 300b and listening to my new recordings pretty much the whole night, the overall sound is non comparable to the other ones I own especially when it comes to a sweet midrange and sound separation. Its amazing how these amp sounds even on a 1 woofer, 2 way cabinet.

23. Classic Car Guy

24. bdmcn71

bdmcn71 Forum Resident

25. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

The heart of any great amp is great iron.....

"
    My baby she like to rock
    My baby she like to roll
    My baby she can dance all night
    My baby got no control
    She do the Wango Tango
    My baby she can scream and shout
    My baby she can move it out
    My baby she can take a chance
    My baby got a brand new dance
    Wango Tango"

(Ted Nugent)