Bob Dylan: THE BOOTLEG SERIES VOL. 17: "Fragments - Time Out of Mind Sessions" [1/27/23]*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Jul 20, 2021.

1. Dovetail7

Dovetail7 Pragmatic Purist

YouTube (ostensibly) has the entire performance Bob scrapped for outside show that was subsequently broadcast on NBC....Plenty of content there to start with, right?

2. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Hard disagree. Issues with 80% of the records I get from them. If this is pressed at GZ I'll be severely disappointed. They shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a boxset.

3. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

5 o'clock in the UK.

In case anyone is concerned about being a victim of a scam, I have it on good authority from a shadowy figure named Simon that the booklet does not feature a guaranteed genuine autopen signature of the artiste.

There might be a hand-scribbled cartoon of Coco The Clown displaying his cock and balls done in pencil, with a gouache paint accent on the dunce's hat, on one of the inside pages, though.

[​IMG]

gearyoleary and jumpinjulian like this.
  4. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

OK. I'm in.

5. Triplicate is one of the very best sounding Dylan albums. So good.

6. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Heartfelt and soulful

7. vupilgrim

vupilgrim Well-Known Member

Yeah, I finally caved in and pre-ordered the 10LP, even though I don't love the cost. All that live stuff on there? It's the kind of stuff I think we've all dreamed about having more of. How could I let that pass me by? And records 9 & 10, while repeating some TTS tracks, do offer some, if not all, tracks from the 3rd CD of the deluxe edition (none of which were in the original TTS vinyl box, which only comprised TTS Deluxe CDs 1&2, not 3). Once I realized it wasn't straight duplication, and a number of those were on vinyl for the first time, that helped me pull the trigger.

I'm especially glad to have the incredible Cold Irons Bound live version on vinyl from TTS CD3 (although even better is the jaw-dropping version of Down Along the Cove from Bonnaroo, and I've always kept that 7" from 2009 in my TTS vinyl box as a little bonus). There are still a few left of that "Cove" 7" surprisingly if anyone wants to augment their upcoming Fragments box... I would certainly recommend it. Now my main complaint (but something I can live with) is that the live "Things Have Changed" from TTS CD3 wasn't included, but otherwise, I think the 10LP set is going to be incredible.

8. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member Thread Starter

Do folks think the unboxing video version of “Dirt Road Blues” is the remix or one of the two alternates? It’s definitely not the same vocal as the LP version, but since we know the multitrack has at least 2 vocal tracks on it (one from Oxnard, the other Criteria), it technically could still be a remix. The basic instrumentation sounds similar, though stripped down and missing the distinctive organ bit. I *think* it’s a different performance there too but it’s very possible I’m being led astray by the more restrained production. As a fairly straight forward blues, it’s possible all three versions are fairly close instrumentally (though I never put it past Bob to attempt at least one version that’s completely different).

KCWhistle, asdf35 and Themigou like this.
  9. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

Sounds like a different performance to me. Maybe even a bit slower and definitely different instrumentation and vocals as you said. And I can't imagine they will go with alternate vocals on the remixed album.

asdf35 and DeeThomaz like this.
  10. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Where can I get this 7"?

11. vupilgrim

vupilgrim Well-Known Member

A few show up on ebay and discogs...not sure about anywhere else. "(Dreamin' of You/Down Along The Cove (Live)" from RSD 2009

Last edited: Nov 19, 2022
    mpayan, mgb70, jumpinjulian and 2 others like this.
  12. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

Is the 10 LP going to be available at other places like Amazon, or is it strictly via bobdylan.com?

Barnyard Symphony likes this.
  13. tanqueray cowboy

tanqueray cowboy Forum Resident

Just a reminder that importcds has the CD set for $95 before (very reasonable) shipping options and tax.

Reasonable shipping in the US. Can’t speak for elsewhere.

The MEZ, Themigou and matt79rome89 like this.
  14. Big Daddy Mc

Big Daddy Mc Vinyl > Everything else

Webstore only I believe

15. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

Thanks. Pre-ordered…buy now or cry later I suppose.

16. Themigou

Themigou Forum Resident

It’s definitely not the album vocal. The album sounds more typically ‘Dylan’. I preferred this new one. I could tell more of a difference with that than I could with the alternate Lovesick to be honest - I know Lovesick has different lyrics but the feel of the vocal is quite similar to the album.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  17. If you are ordering from Australia JPC.de is the cheapest option.All up about $15 cheaper than Importcds that is next best.

18. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

Why not a 1976 tour box including Hard Rain ?

19. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

68 copies of the 10LP set sold in the last 24 hours on the UK site. There are 746 left. Out-of-stock date still projected to be before the end of November. No sign of FOMO panic buying yet...

skipper1967 and aoxomoxoa like this.
  20. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

Why would that be the case? Makes no sense.

21. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Because that’s how it is these days. Thriller, Harvest, Revolver, and even (especially) modern artists like Taylor Swift’s albums since 2019, including her massive hit album Midnights.

22. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

Surround is a format for serious music listeners, who are mostly opposed to streaming. I’ll buy the disc when it comes out, as it eventually will.

23. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Given that hundreds of albums mixed in Atmos have been released solely on streaming services, many of which are for new albums by artists old and new, I’d say that’s not true. Heck, I’m a serious music listener, and I love both surround and streaming. As for Time Out of Mind, I’ll be listening in Atmos on day one. :tiphat:

I wouldn’t get your hopes up.

Don’t shoot the messenger. :hide:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2022
  24. Swansong

Swansong From Planet Earth

I’m really looking forward to this one, as it covers one of my favorite eras in Dylan history. I’ve had real bad luck with the vinyl versions of these bootleg series, so I think I’ll just stick with the deluxe CD version. The chances of ten records being perfect are less than likely. Hope I’m wrong though, for those taking the plunge.

25. sailingsinkingships

sailingsinkingships Forum Resident

I think I am going the same route. I feel like the chances of getting a bum record are pretty high and then some sort of vinyl purgatory waiting to get an exchange or refund.

Swansong likes this.