Movies released pre-2000 with more than 1 version available

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by 64FALCON, Oct 4, 2022.

1. 64FALCON

64FALCON Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've noted MICHAEL MANN is a "tinkerer" in the George Lucas vein; seems to like going back and making cuts but also adding more stuff.

ALSO: In regards to CREEPSHOW (1982) I've noted a 'workprint' version floating around running some 10 minutes longer; all the story segments have more footage, esp. the one with Leslie Nielsen and Ted Danson.

2. ArchFates

ArchFates Forum Resident

IIRC Mann did two small changes to Heat, a few different shots/angles and removed a few lines of dialogue.

64FALCON likes this.
  3. Burnout

Burnout Deadbeat

Women Without Men - 1956 - 5/10

[​IMG]

British “women in prison” film. Slow, snooze inducing, with the slimmest of plots.
    In this Hammer Noir, female agrees to reunite with her new boyfriend New Years Eve.
    Unfortunately, when she tries to break up with her current “handler” he smacks her around.
    She bashes him with a hand mirror and gets tossed in the slammer.
    The warden is stern but fair, the guards no-nonsense but approachable, the inmates a happy family.
    You got it - fantasy prison.
    For various reasons, three convicts escape (including our heroine, who just has to keep that New Years Eve rendezvous).
    Brief movie plods along. I watched it because it was Beverly Michaels last movie.

Except …

Blonde Bait - 1956 - 5/10

… Except the American distributor shot additional scenes, edited the plot, and fashioned a new storyline.
    US nightclub singer performing in London is dating a man who is a traitor, smuggler, and killer.
    She doesn’t know and agrees to marry him on New Years Eve after he takes care of “business."
    When she tries to break the news to her manager, he roughs her up, she grabs that hand mirror, and -
    She’s in the big house.
    US State Dept want her out so they can nab her no-good, villainous man (Jim Davis, scion of TV’s Dallas).
    The new scenes are edited in rather awkwardly, but this succeeds as a new film and, to my mind, slightly better.
    Bev Michael’s hair is mousy in the Brit version, back to glossy blonde in the US release.
    Neither film is all that hot.

[​IMG]

Nevertheless, this was Beverly Michaels’ (great hard blonde) last film appearance. Damn.

64FALCON likes this.
  4. 64FALCON

That was a good addition to the thread, 'burnout'. I'd no idea about that one. Cheers.

Burnout likes this.
  5. ArchFates

ArchFates Forum Resident

Red River from 1948, there's two versions, the theatrical cut and the pre-release version, which has longer (and better ending), something of a hybrid would be the ultimate version, take the ending from the pre-release version put it into the theatrical cut. Pre-release version also has a few extra scenes or longer takes than the theatrical cut does, but it also has slightly sloppier editing, probably because it wasn't quite finalized yet, and I generally prefer the theatrical cut due tighter editing.

64FALCON likes this.
  6. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Not sure if this was mentioned yet, but Peter Greenaway's "The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover" was released in the US in an unrated 124-minute version and also a 95 minute "R" rated version.

I've seen both and, not surprisingly, the "R" version, which is nearly a half-hour shorter, makes absolutely no sense. Way to go, MPAA.

Dan

mBen989 and 64FALCON like this.
  7. Burnout

Burnout Deadbeat

Ringu - 1998 - 8/10
    AKA - リング

[​IMG]

Watershed moment for dead wet girls everywhere.
    After her niece mysteriously dies, her aunt (reporter) hears whispers of the cursed VHS.
    Discovers similar deaths of other students. Enlists her ex (estranged) husband to help. He has psychic abilities.
    Immaculate composition throughout - every scene balanced and beautifully arranged.
    Terrific sound editing, as well. From moody score, to disconcerting effects in rear speakers.
    Narrative at once enigmatic and logical. A terrific after hours film, with all distractions switched off.
    Launched numerous remakes and sequels, all inferior.

Ring Virus - 1999 - 6/10
    AKA - 링

[​IMG]

S Korean remake of J-Horror classic.
    Watching cursed VHS tape leads to death in seven days.
    This version filmed matter-of-fact, audio mix not very detailed.
    The two protagonists were older, and unrelated.
    Several sequences relied on viewer familiarity with the original. Such as the young child explaining who “told her” to act accordingly. Also, why the male protagonist, in this case a flawed surgeon, was drawn into the mystery to begin with.
    Marketing claims aside, K version is not the “scariest version of them all."
    Worth a view, but does not eclipse the original.

8. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Dumb and Dumber
    The Blu-ray has an extended version, whereas the early DVD has a theatrical cut or something similar.

Stripes
    The Blu-ray has an extended version with the early DVD being a theatrical cut or something similar.

64FALCON and mBen989 like this.
  9. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

But those are 2 entirely separate movies, not just different versions of the same movie, no?

Burnout and TwentySmallCigars like this.
  10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yes, the "Work In Progress" version also appeared on the 2002 DVD.

And that disc included the 2002 "Special Edition" cut that included the song "Human Again", so it qualifies as a movie with three versions.

All 3 also appear on the 2010 Blu-ray, though they botched WIP and made it visible only in a little box vs. the fullscreen of the DVD.

The 2016 25th Anniversary BD drops WIP.

I don't have the 4K so I don't know how it compares, though.

mBen989 and 64FALCON like this.
  11. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

Explorers (1985)

There are a few versions released on film, TV and DVD with a few scenes added or replaced. The movie was reworked quite a bit halfway though production and there is a lot of footage not used in the theatrical release that they throw in to various new releases from time to time.

64FALCON likes this.
  12. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Good call... they're so different, in fact, that IMDb even lists them as 2 entirely separate movies!

The next two entries, Godzilla Raids Again (1955) and King Kong vs Godzilla (1962) are probably the other films in the series with the most differences between the Japanese and American versions.

The Hud likes this.
  13. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I think I actually like the American version of King Kong vs Godzilla better. I like the news reporter scenes especially.

I don't remember the differences between the two versions of Godzilla Raids Again, apart from the American version being called "Gigantis The Fire Monster", which is very weird.

Burnout and Rocker like this.
  14. Burnout

Burnout Deadbeat

Aha, I misunderstood the thread.
    The thread means various versions of the SAME film. Director's cut, extended, PG vs R, etc ...
    Seeing Godzilla referenced reminds me that there is an interesting fanedit I could post, though that may be a can of worms and I will wait to see if a MOD or senior member comments.

15. 64FALCON

There's a movie I thought of that might have a 'mood change' depending on how you watch it. I was thinking of THE MIST (2007). I read where director Frank Darabont's preferred 'black-and-white' version was made available on Blu-Ray so viewers could decide for themselves if they wanted to watch the color, theatrical presentation or the B&W version. I reckon it's gotta make some kind of difference, you know?

It's similar in a way to the 1967 movie REFLECTIONS IN A GOLDEN EYE. I think the 'Sepiatone' version makes the movie better than the color version.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2022
    Burnout likes this.
  16. Burnout

Burnout Deadbeat

Wow! That reminds me that guilty pleasure Johnny Mnemonic is also available in a director approved black and white version.

[​IMG]

S. P. Honeybunch and 64FALCON like this.
  17. 64FALCON

The 1999 movie THE WOMAN CHASER starring Patrick Warburton has 3 versions. I knew of 2 versions, but I noted there's a 3rd version with some of the music score changed.

18. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Star Trek II - The Wrath of Khan

There are at least two versions of this movie. One version is the Theatrical Version (TV), and the other was the Broadcast Version (BV). The Broadcast Version contains additional scenes that explain some things within the movie. As an example, in the BV Scotty introduces Peter Preston as his nephew in part of a scene that was left out of the TV. This explains why Scotty was so broken up at Preston's death.

altaeria, 64FALCON and mBen989 like this.
  19. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I don't know if this qualifies but the movie Rock 'n' Rule, an animated movie from Nelvana. There were are least two different versions of this movie but only the latter version is still available. The original version was destroyed in a fire, and the released version is basically a cobbled-together version from various sources. Due to this, some of the footage from the original version has been lost and will likely never be recovered.

64FALCON and mBen989 like this.
  20. 64FALCON

It qualifies. :)

21. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

The Gigantis title came about because Paul Schreibman (one of the producers of the American version) wanted to give audiences the impression that they were seeing an entirely new monster... he thought they might be confused after seeing Godzilla die at the end of the first film.

That's still kind of a lame excuse, though, because i think there's some dialogue in the sequel which implies that the new monster is simply another member of Godzilla's species... and they definitely hint at that during the final moments of the first film, as well... so I have no idea why the American producers didn't just incorporate some of that dialogue when they did the English dub, rather than re-naming the monster and causing confusion for generations of Godzilla fans.

I had the movie on VHS when I was a kid, and I remember being baffled as to why the front cover clearly said "Godzilla Raids Again" and showed a picture of Godzilla and Anguirus fighting... but the on-screen title when you popped the tape in was "Gigantis the Fire Monster" and all the characters kept referring to the monster by that name, even though I knew it was really Godzilla!

The Hud and 64FALCON like this.
  22. Claude

Claude Senior Member

As well as his "The Last Emperor" (1987)

"Alternate versions
    The theatrical version runs 163 minutes. A 218 minute version was released in the US in 1998 under the mistaken title of the "Director's Cut". It was known by this erroneous title until the 2008 Criterion DVD and Blu-ray Disc came out. Bertolucci and DP Vittorio Storaro made it clear while working on the DVD and BD that the shorter theatrical version is without doubt the director's cut. The 218 minute version was an early cut meant only to be aired as a four-part television mini-series by the Italian television network that funded the film."
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093389/

Here's what Bertolucci said himself:

“I would be very pleased to present the theatrical version for The Last Emperor, but I’m perplexed on presenting the director's cut, because I wouldn’t know what else to say about a version that in my opinion is not much different from the other one, just a little bit more boring (as very often the director’s cut can be). That’s my sincere feeling.”

Final Cut

Last edited: Nov 24, 2022
    unclefred and 64FALCON like this.
  23. ArchFates

ArchFates Forum Resident

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (1966)

The Italian cut which runs 174 minutes and the international cut which runs 161 minutes. The longer cut was later restored for the DVD, but the removed scenes were never dubbed in English originally, so they got Clint Eastwood and Eli Wallach to dub their voices decades later, and used imitators for the actors who had already passed away. The scenes which were put back aren't really THAT important, and IIRC it's very noticeable as the actors voices have changed through the years.

24. 64FALCON

There's a 1972 'Spaghetti Western' made in Spain starring James Coburn, Telly Savalas, Bud Spencer. Has 3 different titles that I know of. The title I'm familiar with is 'MASSACRE AT FORT HOLMAN'. This is the shorter U.S. version of the film with James Coburn's real voice on the soundtrack.

But Coburn didn't dub his character's voice in the the longer, international version of the film which runs some 30 minutes more and was issued by 'Wild East' on DVD. I would've bought that disc years ago except I knew Coburn's voice was dubbed by another actor and that put me off. When you see Coburn you expect to hear his voice!

Burnout likes this.
  25. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Anothett thing to note, MGM reconstructed the original theatrical version for the DVD from Italian sources.

64FALCON likes this.