Bob Dylan: THE BOOTLEG SERIES VOL. 17: "Fragments - Time Out of Mind Sessions" [1/27/23]*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Jul 20, 2021.

1. theMot

theMot Forum Resident

£60 shipped to Australia here: Bob Dylan

jumpinjulian likes this.
  2. Komakino___

Komakino___ It's tiring, roaming these halls...

Would definitley buy the 5CD set for around £100 nearer the time anything more for a 5 disk set is ridiculous even for the likes of Dylan.

Themigou likes this.
  3. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

You can buy individual tracks from Qobuz

4. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

8 copies of the 10LP set sold by the UK website overnight.

Imagine how quickly these would shift if, on April 1st 2023, the purchasers were rewarded with a surprise gift of 207 mp3 files of the complete Time Out Of Mind sessions! Dust would fly, women and children would be crushed in the stampede and grown men would weep tears of arsenic. The Internet would burn down, and the only sound remaining would be the tomb-like echo from the decaying cackle of a wrinkly and wizened old goat in a silly hat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

Thanks. That's a lot better. But I ordered the 5CD set instead - just as I did for Trouble No More and Springtime.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  6. NeilB

NeilB Well-Known Member

Do Qobuz provide PDFs of the books along with the music?

7. voice with restraint

voice with restraint Forum Resident

Thanks!

8. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

Looks like Amazon UK have done just enough to get an order. It is getting bit irritating here. £100 should be the upper limit here, but things have become a bit silly. The Revolver sets are well over priced.dropped out of chasing a vinyl copy of that. Just not anywhere near sensible. Basically I would be paying £169 for an alternative full sized alternative sleeve! Ridiculous. At some point you have to let these things go. Just like the McCartney singles box. The Beach Boys Sail On set is another one that is way over-priced at Amazon UK. They are making no attempt to grab those early risers for these sets anymore.

Themigou likes this.
  9. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

£108 on Amazon uk...and will potentially drop more

Komakino___, Themigou and dormouse like this.
  10. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

Am a bit behind with all of the updates here.

Is it right that the 5CD set is not the same size and format as the previous deluxe editions?

11. Attila the Professor

Attila the Professor Forum Resident

I think someone mentioned it was 18mm smaller

Mbd77 and dormouse like this.
  12. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I saw a comment about this shortly after the announcement but someone reassured me that it's the same size as previous editions.

dormouse likes this.
  13. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

I believe Amazon UK suggests that it is CD-sized. That would be a shame as it is nice to be able to comfortably read and appreciate the books that accompany these deluxe editions. Some of the CD sized booklets for these kind of sets are very hard on the eye.

Bink likes this.
  14. HuntingBare

HuntingBare Forum Resident

Having followed your tip on this, and gone back to the original Outfidels bootleg versions, I have to very strongly agree: they ae just much warmer, much more alive, than the Springtime mixes. I wish this were not the case but to me it is undeniable. I *enjoy* those old bootleg versions so much more than the sterile official mixes.

Themigou and RoyalPineapple like this.
  15. Rega Brio-R

Rega Brio-R Well-Known Member

For those who care about these things from Amazon.

CD Boxset Product Dimensions ‏ : ‎

22.1 x 21.34 x 3.56 cm; 1.13 Kilograms - Springtime in NY

22.1 x 21.34 x 3.81 cm; 1.16 Kilograms - Fragments

Fred Dender and dormouse like this.
  16. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

That is reassuring!

Themigou likes this.
  17. Big Daddy Mc

Big Daddy Mc Vinyl > Everything else

Most people are broke these days

18. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Size matters to some people.

Over on a classical thread, there were many complaints and claims that they would not purchase the second Glenn Gould box of Goldberg Variations because it was in a smaller box than the first volume.

19. Adding more songs to fill up an album or CD will add to the cost as additional publishing needs to be added

DemonBox, apple-richard and Themigou like this.
  20. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Everyone is Broken

21. Themigou

Themigou Forum Resident

Jokerman, Blind Willie McTell and Someone’s Gotta Hold Of My Heart are the ones I kept and still listen to from whatever Infidels bootleg I had. The Springtime versions are very narrow in comparison and I agree they are inferior to the bootleg. The added guitar on Someone’s Gotta Hold kind of ruins it for me. It’s such a shame that some Springtime tracks - Jokerman, Sweetheart Like You and the slow Don’t Fall Apart On Me Tonight - sound a bit like they were mastered from a cassette whereas most others sound great. They have less 80s sheen than the BS 1-3 but they can sit next to them fine. The alternate Jokerman just sounds a bit muddy in comparison (although it does improve as it goes on, unless my tinnitus is playing up). And the bootleg version of Someone’s Gotta Hold… actually sounds fine next to the Springtime Foot of Pride for example.

Sean Murdock likes this.
  22. Marty T

Marty T Stereo Fan

It will be mine.

(5 CD version that is)

joannenugent likes this.
  23. Themigou

Themigou Forum Resident

Okay but why make it 5 discs when it’s barely more than 2 CDs of music? That means £120 rather than £20, which is too much of a bump up in cost for me as the buyer!

24. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

I think a lot of the issues concerning Revolver were in comparing with previous Bestkes' releases or indeed those of other similar products for other artists. There was the lack of a surround/hi-res disc, which presumably would not add much if anything, as the tracks would essentially be duplicated. There is also the total time issue which in reality added up to around 2 CDs in total. I'm guessing that Fragments will perhaps have at least twice as much content and currently stands at almost exactly the same price on Amazon UK for the CD deluxe set as the final Revolver set and hould reduce further. And there are concerns regarding the price of this larger Dylan set!

To put this in context I did purchase the Revolver CD set and enjoyed it a lot. I would usually have purchased the vinyl set too but could not justify it this time. I will also purchase the Dylan set and will ultimately be able to compare the relative 'value'. This is of course subjective. I enjoy both artists and appreciate the work that goes into these sets and the privilege of bring able to access these recordings. But we also have to be able to feed back concerns regarding pricing and other aspects.

25. Marty T

Marty T Stereo Fan

The publishing is largely what brings it to the large price tag. The 5 CDs is so you're not saying "120 for just 2CDs"?!! And where the Beatles are concerned, there was the Apple disposition that their albums are sacred and must be preserved as originally formatted, i.e. no extra tracks on a disk (LP or CD) - extra tracks get relegated to extra disks.

Themigou likes this.