Michael Jackson - Thriller - upcoming MFSL SACD & One-Step

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by poe_man, May 16, 2022.

1. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Good point. It's a fine distinction, but it was probably better categorized as thread crapping than trolling if we have to name it.

In any case, can we please get back to the subject at hand...

2. dwilpower

dwilpower Forum Resident

Cultural appropriation by every white artist! Amy Winehouse Back to Black is a blatant shame faced rip off of the Holland Dozier Holland/Supremes songbook with a few Ashford & Simpson/Marvin & Tammi tracks added for good measure yet NO ONE EVERY MENTIONED THAT!

3. dwilpower

dwilpower Forum Resident

He's certainly ONE of the GOATS and Thriller proves why!

4. dwilpower

dwilpower Forum Resident

One thing I've discovered since joining this forum is just how Balkanised American music lovers are- they are hunkered down in their chosen silo, stuck on rails dedicated to their chosen genre- everything from the ghettoised radio stations dedicated to just one genre and their entire outlook heavily blinkered. Here in the UK people in general have far more varied and inclusive musical tastes. Living entirely within a White Christian Rock, Classic Rock or Country bubble or R&B, Gospel, Rap or Hip Hop is alien here although there is a Reggae sub culture with a section of the population that doesn't appear to feature in the USA.

5. marcb

marcb Senior Member

:rolleyes:

toasty and Tommyboy like this.
  6. killerofgiants

killerofgiants Forum Resident

Very weird conclusion to come to.

marcb and CBackley like this.
  7. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

I think one of the things that dwilpower is observing is that there are posters who take the superiority of their (perhaps narrow) tastes as truth and then are astonished to discover that there are other bubbles out there that have very different sets of heroes and musical values. The result, as evident in the postings, is shock and incomprehension and not uncommonly categorical dismissal and insult. Dwilpower is also speculating that extreme market segmentation in the U.S. has maybe ill-served the social good of harmonious coexistence on a national level. Like maybe the privilege of being able to ignore the existence of other people and other tastes does some damage to our perspective on the world.

I presume anyone on this thread is open to MJ, but we can see that there is quite a considerable range of relations to MJ beyond that. I have my own views on MJ, though these are a little conflicted. In any case, I'm on this thread because I'm very much looking forward to see what Mofi will do with Thriller. But it's a real education on the bubble I inhabit to go check out the streaming stats for, like, "most followed Spotify artists." That's a snapshot of the world as it is. Everything that might be surprising to a reader of that chart is because we tend to mistake the tastes of our own bubbles for the truth of the world. My conclusion: a little humility about our own judgments might be in order.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2022
  8. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

I'm afraid this post, one of the best I've read here for a long time, will be met with the same incomprehension and confusion that you pointed out.

9. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

It was a bit slow taking off initally here in the UK taking Billy Jean to really push it toward the top selling bins in the likes of W H Smiths, Woolworths and the like as I remember a schoolfriend in the Sixth Form playing me that January the album from cassette they'd bought the day before.

Jarleboy and Bobby Morrow like this.
  10. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Or see it as bunch of pseudo erudite nonsense trying rationalize why people simply don’t see/hear things the same.

jgrillo and dubious title like this.
  11. TheRealMcCoy

TheRealMcCoy Senior Member

Why does it have to be a competition?? Last time I check art/music was not a sporting event.

mikedifr0923, Jarleboy, ARK and 3 others like this.
  12. dwilpower

dwilpower Forum Resident

eh, NAH!

healter skealter likes this.
  13. dwilpower

dwilpower Forum Resident

Sadly too many elderly men have a teenage boy trapped inside their head and find it impossible to escape the bias of their musical/cultural tribes

14. dwilpower

dwilpower Forum Resident

Unfortunately from a very early age humans have been conditioned to measure categorise and rank information & artefacts.

Jarleboy likes this.
  15. dwilpower

dwilpower Forum Resident

AMEN!

Rob Hughes likes this.
  16. dwilpower

dwilpower Forum Resident

I presume you are currently typing this reply sitting in a sealed cultural bunker somewhere in the Mid West....

17. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

I have a really cute video of my son doing just that, dancing when he first heard Yellow Submarine!

Jarleboy likes this.
  18. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Hey, anyone else remember when @Ken_McAlinden said to go back to the thread topic and drop all this tangential pissing?

Good times. :sigh:

Jrr, Jarleboy, batman144144 and 9 others like this.
  19. dwilpower

dwilpower Forum Resident

Yup Yellow Submarine does have that deceptively simple timeless quality that has appealed to kids over the past 5 decades

Jarleboy likes this.
  20. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I just want to read comments about the sound quality of the album and unfortunately, I have to wade through posts like this. Congratulations, your country is better! Gold star for you.

Can we now get back to Thriller and the new reissues! This thread has turned into an absolute **** show.

Geee!, PATB, Mazzy and 8 others like this.
  21. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

It’s no competition to me and I’m not coming to this thread to read people’s ponderings about that or anything other than the TOPIC which is the Thriller MFSL SACD & One-Step

Remy, Merrick, JackDVD78 and 4 others like this.
  22. killerofgiants

killerofgiants Forum Resident

Because Scotland is somehow a cultural mecca?

batman144144, PATB and dubious title like this.
  23. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Terrific post.

It's amazing to me how sooooo many people on this forum suffer from extreme tunnel vision to the extent that if you express not being familiar with someone they thoroughly enjoy, it's met with expressive incredulity.

"hOw cAn YoU nOt KnOw HiM?!?!!?"

There are so many cultures, backgrounds, and life experiences that are different from person to person that whenever I see that aforementioned attitude, I have to chuckle at how narrow-minded and ignorant these people are. It's a massive human failing that the only perspective the vast majority of people can see through is exclusively their own.

24. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Is anyone here holding out for the 2x45rpm One-Step?

dtyndall likes this.
  25. TheRealMcCoy

TheRealMcCoy Senior Member

Oh I know… not sure how it got off topic… Back to it.