Bob Dylan: THE BOOTLEG SERIES VOL. 17: "Fragments - Time Out of Mind Sessions" [1/27/23]*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Jul 20, 2021.

1. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

I think I must have zoned out by the time he returns.
    o_O:oops:
    (Must remember to add emojis. Some of my posts get taken way too seriously)

Themigou likes this.
  2. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

The hope is that it's mastered specifically for vinyl — which tends to have better dynamic range. If they use the same mastering as the CD, yeah, that would suck

timnor, Barnyard Symphony and Sacr like this.
  3. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I have listened to "Love Sick Version 2" quite a bit the last few days and I actually like it more than the TOOM version. Can't wait for the box and now I am anticipating the remix even more so.

Jimmy Jam, mpayan, Taxman and 11 others like this.
  4. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

Prepare to be disappointed.

keef285 likes this.
  5. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

You know this how?

6. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Did none of the other BS vinyl have different mastering than the CDs?

7. zombie dai

zombie dai people live in dreams, but not in their own

:rolleyes:

FuturisticWorkshop likes this.
  8. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Is this the first release in the series to be completely new - previously uncirculating material? *Aside from the tracks on TTS*

9. baruk

baruk Well-Known Member

I’d like to know the answer to this.

10. Sipuncula

Sipuncula Forum Resident

At least some of the repeated tracks from Bootleg Series 8 have never been released on vinyl before, as far as I can tell, as they were on the deluxe edition bonus disc in 2008 on CD only. This may have been pointed out before, but I didn't see it.

Taxman, CBackley and Themigou like this.
  11. Themigou

Themigou Forum Resident

For me, the vinyl box has the edge over the CD in that respect. The novelty of having all those TTS tracks on vinyl makes it seem like less of an afterthought than the CD somehow. I love both the TTS versions of Can’t Wait and to have the long slow one on vinyl will be particularly sweet. One thing the CD box will have though - I’m assuming - is a larger book, rather than a booklet?

Taxman likes this.
  12. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I say we should just skip over Christmas and New Years and get to Jan 27, 2023 tomorrow.

13. zombie dai

zombie dai people live in dreams, but not in their own

what was good about 2003?

TheAbsentMind and Steve62 like this.
  14. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member Thread Starter

Also interesting is that they didn’t choose the version of “Love Sick” for the 2CD that led the promotional campaign.

matt79rome89 and Themigou like this.
  15. Amazon are of course a joke when it comes to music retailing now.Baffled why anyone still uses them.
    In the case of this they list all kinds of dimensions as CD sized.For example the new Thin Lizzy Live And Dangerous box which is 12 x 12 is listed on Amazon as CD sized.

Themigou likes this.
  16. Themigou

Themigou Forum Resident

Hammersmith 24 November?

The Bard and mpayan like this.
  17. dee

dee Senior Member

I haven't compared the two side by side but Version2 sure got my attention!

18. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

Nah I have Paul McCartney, Tom Petty, Cheap Trick, Monkees and Slade boxes showing up in the next few weeks. My 10 LP Dylan box can wait its turn in line.

JeffreyB likes this.
  19. IHeartRecordsAz

IHeartRecordsAz Forum Resident

Maybe it’s to try and get as many people to bite on the 5 CD version as possible. Every time I listen to a BS release that has an expanded and condensed version, there’s always a handful of tracks on the multi-disc set where I scratch my head and wonder why it didn’t make it on its 2 CD counterpart.

20. theMot

theMot Forum Resident

The ones mastered at Sterling Sound did:

Bob Dylan | STERLING SOUND

21. dave-gtr

dave-gtr Forum Resident

Not only mastering but mix on LP vs. CD on at least one Bootleg Series release. The vinyl of LIVE 1975 has a different mix! Listen to the beginning of "Tonight I'll be Staying here with you".

cd: "Throw my ticket in the wind" (cheers faded up and down in the mix) and at the end of the first verse "Tonight I'll be staying here with you" (more cheers up and down in mix) and again near the end of verse two.
    lp: there is none of this faded up and down crowd noise on the mix used for the vinyl lp set.

Made the purchase of LIVE 1975 essential for me.

Big Daddy Mc and Glenn coates like this.
  22. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

You mean the guys who also used 16 bit on the Tell Tale Signs vinyl? :laugh:

No, but thanks for digging that link up. I don't think it'll be Sterling anymore though, right? Seems to be Mark Wilder and Steve Addabbo of late

Barnyard Symphony likes this.
  23. I just hope that the folks in charge of this project were professional and competent. Dylan and his fans deserve no less especially after we've spent $274 + on this. We just want records that will play through with minimal issues. Is that so much to ask?

24. Solly Bridgetower

Solly Bridgetower Elton is my golden God of music. Deal with it.

For what this may be worth, that "bonus" disc is a big selling point for me, as I was very late to the game for Tell Tale Signs and completely missed out on the 3-disc version. I had to obtain those tracks as mp3s from iTunes, which was a crashing disappointment sound-wise. And the Time Out of Mind material on Tell Tale Signs was the main reason I bought it.

My fear, in all the hype and speculation surrounding this forthcoming set, was that it wouldn't include the Time tracks originally released on that elusive third disc of Tell Tale Signs, most especially "Mississippi" version 3, which is my favorite version of that song ever recorded. (I lived in Mississippi for eight years, and the night before I drove my moving truck out of there I played that song, that version. Very personal for me.)

Anyway, I'm certain that more than 5% of fans were, like me, hoping that the previously released stuff would reappear in this new box. It's convenient to have it all in one place now. My only disappointment is that (apparently, unless I missed it) the new box omits the 1998 Grammys "Soy Bomb" version of "Love Sick", which so far is my fave version of that song.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2022
  25. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

I mean, they’ll send the music to the pressing plant like any other album. Anything after that regarding the pressings have nothing to do with the folks who put the set together. Like any other vinyl release.