LG OLED tv opinions

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by RadioClash, Nov 21, 2022.

1. RadioClash

RadioClash Senior Member Thread Starter

2. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Its a very good tv.
    The refresh rate at 120 isnt optimal for sports, and you'll need to be conscious about image burn-in.
    If you get the tv, look around online to get an idea on how to calibrate the picture better.
    On my LG set, just about all the automatic picture functions, energy saving, etc, I turned off, for example.

Good luck.

3. RadioClash

Thank you. About image burn-in, there is a setting on these LG tvs called "pixel clean" or something like that. Is this effective in preventing image burn-in? I agree, one of the first things I do with a television is to turn off energy saving settings and that horrible tru-motion "soap opera" setting. Ugh!

Sbbrad likes this.
  4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I have a 65" 2016 LG OLED 4K/3D that I've owned since summer 2017 and I love it.

Just a terrific TV.

No issues with burn-in at all.

5. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

There has been no visible burn-in on my 2017 55". I've run the pixelator maybe only a handle of times. During the pandemic the TV was on for long stretches of time with a news banner at the bottom. If you look at it very closely you can see it refresh and shift a little frequently; that may prevent burn-in.

RadioClash and RolandG like this.
  6. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

The LG C1 is also a good tv and was last years model it’s just as good and will be even cheaper if you can still find one for sale.

RadioClash and stereoptic like this.
  7. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Yes, by default the set will dim the picture for static images and has a pixel refresher.

I have a 65" C7 LG OLED (got in early 2018) and a 83" C1 I got about 10 months ago. Both are terrific. No burn in, and it's nothing I'm concerned about. If you use one full-time as a PC monitor, then you'll have to be careful.

RadioClash and stereoptic like this.
  8. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

LG OLED panels have been a top choice for a a while now. The best at “burn in free” panel in my experience is the Samsung OLED that I’m m running now. Still at this stage I have to possibly consider that I might have to change panels every 3 years or so due to burn in.
    There is technology that is totally impervious to burn in but not ready for home use yet. Be nice when it gets here.

CraigC and RadioClash like this.
  9. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

We have an older 55" C8 and it's been running fine for the last three years. No image burn-in to speak of, but we don't watch sports that tend to have the info bars in the same place for long periods of time.

The built-in apps stay updated. I haven't noticed any app slowdown I've seen in other TVs (our old Samsung is now unbearably slow running the built-in apps.)

My in-laws bought a C9 and it's also great. They added some features to the UI that are actually useful, like quick access to the shows you've most recently watched in your apps, most watched channels, etc...

Overall highly recommended. Excellent picture quality out of the box. The UI is the best I've encountered. Our TV is pushing four years old and it's still getting regular software updates. They even added Apple AirPlay to our TV. Some major TV manufacturers can't even be bothered to fix major software bugs. LG has *added* features to old TVs they don't sell anymore. That basic level of service should be expected, but it's rare these days.

RadioClash likes this.
  10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yeah, the C1 and C2 are great, particularly if you have a calibration engineer come in and set it up from scratch. There are quite a few color mastering companies using them as sort of a "prosumer reference" these days.

RadioClash and SamS like this.
  11. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

We do abuse our panel in the way we watch but there is no excuse this problem hasn’t been eliminated by now period!

12. RadioClash

With the OLEDs do you guys find yourself switching between presets depending on the room environment? With my current LED the "cinema" preset looks really good in a dark room, but in a lighted room the brighter preset "standard" looks a little better and the cinema looks a little washed out. I never touch the default preset that they use for the stores, that is blinding bright and burns out my eyeballs.

13. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

There are picture presets for both ISF "dark" and "bright" space, and you can tweak them individually. Note - you'll be adjusting Contrast depending on your ambient room light (not Brightness).

I'd avoid the Standard pre-set. Color temperature is too blue.

Efus, jbmcb and RadioClash like this.
  14. bresna

bresna Senior Member

I wonder why LG went "backwards" with their numbering scheme? I have an E6 from 2017. When I first saw this thread, I was thinking someone was buying a really old used model. :)

15. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

They just kinda "started over". First mainstream OLED was the C6/B6/E6 (in 2016). After they got to the C9 in 2019, they started over with C1 (and A1, G1) for 2021. And now C2 etc. for 2022.

16. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I have a very bright room in the day, so yes we change the settings according to the time of day. I prefer the FILMMAKER mode when available. Sometimes the HDR setting can make an older filmed TV program a bit brighter and easier to make out details without the 'soap opera' effect; sometimes not. But, I do occasionally toggle through all of the settings until I find a suitable one or my wife grabs the remote away - whichever comes first! :laugh:

arley likes this.
  17. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

RadioClash likes this.
  18. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

Keep in mind
    (I personally stumbled upon this too late) ...

LG smart TVs don't offer apps for ESPN or PBS.
    :shrug:

greenhorn and audiomixer like this.
  19. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

@Joe Meat if you end up getting an LG OLED, under All Settings, Picture, Advanced Settings, Clarity, turn Cinema Screen and TruMotion both to off.

This will eliminate all of the 'soap opera effect' and ridiculous motion interpolation. So you're seeing the image exactly as the content creators intended.

altaeria, Doug Sclar, Efus and 2 others like this.
  20. RadioClash

Thank you good to know about Cinema Screen. Reading reviews I see there is an LG preset called Filmmaker Mode but this is different from Cinema Screen right?

21. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Yes different.

Filmaker Mode is a picture preset like Standard, ISF, etc.

Cinema Screen is a picture setting that impact motion interpolation.

RadioClash likes this.
  22. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

I’ve got a 55” LG CX. An amazing TV. So I just got a 65” LG C1, and it’s also amazing. My father-in-law liked them so much, he just got a C2.

OLED is very, very nice. Never had an issue with burn-in.

RadioClash likes this.
  23. Stereosound

For the same price the Samsung S95B is also worth a look as it is an OLED TV that uses quantum dots for improved color something LG does not currently use. The Sony A95K also uses quantum dots but it’s still too expensive just because it’s a Sony.

RadioClash and Strat-Mangler like this.
  24. RadioClash

Thank you, found this comparison review that I will take a look at

LG C2 OLED vs Samsung S95B OLED Side-by-Side TV Comparison

reapers and Stereosound like this.
  25. Stereosound

RadioClash likes this.