In June 1969, Should Led Zeppelin Have Asked Brian Jones to Join The Group?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by S. P. Honeybunch, Nov 20, 2022.

1. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

[​IMG]

Sean, Dudley Morris and Fred1 like this.
  2. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

I agree it's a far-fetched idea but you have to admit, it a more interesting thread than yet another "Which of the Beatles had a better haircut" type of thread.
    When all the bases have been covered, make another one. What the heck, right!

3. healter skealter

healter skealter Human animal

Yes, because in order to achieve its full potential, every promising band needs a burnt-out, misogynistic dilettante.

Oddity, Sean, supernaut and 4 others like this.
  4. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney Thread Starter

It's only rock 'n roll and folk music. Brian didn't have to be some kind of Eddie Van Halen on the sitar, just like Keith Richards isn't Eddie Van Halen on the guitar. Brian played instruments for maximum musical effect on the respective arrangements. He would have complemented the band well, as many of Zeppelin's studio recording arrangements have multiple instruments that are a challenge for just four members to duplicate on stage.

5. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Didn't The Rolling Stones fire Jones in part because the USA would unlikely grant him a work visa due to his drug convictions?

And why would Led Zeppelin want someone Mick Jagger and Keith Richards reckon couldn't write songs.

Fred1 likes this.
  6. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

I don't think Brian Jones fits with Led Zeppelin at all

Sean and Fred1 like this.
  7. Brainstorm

Brainstorm Forum Resident

Have to say, its a ridiculous one, this. Jones was fired by the Stones coz he was always off his box, and had no discipline in the studio whatsoever. He was contributing zero. In fact, he was a burden. They've all pretty much said so.
    I'm sure that would've went down beautifully with a perfectionist like Jimmy Page!!

Sean, MHP, The Trinity and 1 other person like this.
  8. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

No.

9. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

If he lived, he could have joined the B-52s.

Sean, Vintage1976 and SteevG like this.
  10. S. P. Honeybunch

It would have been a new group dynamic in Zeppelin. Bonzo and Page could have kept Brian Jones in line. Mick and Keith weren't really suited to that type of role to reign in Brian Jones.

11. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

LOL! Meanwhile, Plant and Jones couldn’t keep Bonzo and Page in line on In Through The Out Door.

Sean, The Trinity and Fred1 like this.
  12. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

I had a dream
    By god I can hear it

Sean, Zack, supernaut and 1 other person like this.
  13. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

Jimmy had been working with Brian on his soundtrack in the studio.

14. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

I don't think Brian would gel very well with the hard rock/ proto metal side of LZ He was more into the country rock sounds of CCR at that point in his short life.

15. JayB

JayB Senior Member

16. FuturisticWorkshop

FuturisticWorkshop Forum Resident

Brian was talking of forming a group with Lennon and others that had a Creedence feel to it. John probably wouldn’t have done it.
    Secondly, as much as I think Mick and Keef pushed him towards the door, he wasn’t contributing much at all in the recording sessions. Two things that immediately make me say “never would’ve happened” are his crippling addiction to drink and drugs. Maybe even worse was his huge ego and reputation for being a cruel jerk (to put it lightly). Page was on fire to make a real go of it in the world his way. Zeppelin was his band. He didn’t want or need input from someone established like Jones. Same attitude that made him take credit for the production even if Glyn Johns or someone else deserved it. Brian’s best was behind him and Jimmy was just getting let out of the gate. I know Brian wrote part of Ruby Tuesday (uncredited) and maybe others. He should’ve worked on songwriting through those years. He begrudged Mick and Keith, but never developed his own writing. He also said just before he died that he wanted to start a new groups where he made the real money. By that point he was wise to publishing.

Sean, supernaut and The Trinity like this.
  17. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

The guys in Zeppelin worked hard, and Page was a task master. I don't think Brian Jones would have lasted long.

Sean and The Trinity like this.
  18. JoeDea

JoeDea Forum Resident

No. They didn't need him not least because they had JPJ

Dudley Morris and The Trinity like this.
  19. human riff 999

human riff 999 Forum Resident

I think not....because Brian, despite the playing of exotic instruments, was down inside a purist....he loved blues and was a jazz fan. I think The Stones turn toward the rock side of blues resulted in him being so unhappy with The Stones direction.....and The Zep....heavier blues and the moving toward the rock side of blues as deep as the Stones....and with Bonham and JPJ really deep....it would have been the same feeling for Brian....disatisfaction with the direction.
    It was in the cards for Brian the stars....he knew it as well...I think he knew his fate was sealed....he told Keith "I'll never make 30"....and he did not!
    But RIP BJ.....he was a wonderful player and I bet he was cool to chat with listen to some music and hang out...a good time!

20. The Trinity

The Trinity Do what thou wilt, so mote be it.

When I hire someone for a job, the candidate I choose is not the one who says they were fired from their last job. I can’t see why Page would want to take that chance when he had great talent available to him already.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2022
  21. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

He should have joined Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass.

22. S. P. Honeybunch

Throw that criteria out the window when we're talking about Brian frickin' Jones.

Barnyard Symphony likes this.
  23. Leroyd

Leroyd Forum Resident

IMO the last thing Zep needed was a second guitarist.

24. The Trinity

The Trinity Do what thou wilt, so mote be it.

You should take your disagreement to Mick and Keef. Perhaps they could learn something.

25. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Peter Green, Syd Barrett, Brian Jones, Ace Kefford and Viv Prince... here they are, The Shambles!

The Casualties?

Wouldja believe The Burnt Offerings?