Bob Dylan: THE BOOTLEG SERIES VOL. 17: "Fragments - Time Out of Mind Sessions" [1/27/23]*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Jul 20, 2021.

1. Kevin Davis

Kevin Davis EQUIPMENT PROFILE INCOMPLETE

I'm sure I've posted something similar before but I feel like the Cash sessions were a no-win situation for Sony -- on their own they are a cultural curiosity, nothing special musically, but they're also such a touchstone of that whole Bob-in-Nashville period that they would be a glaring historical omission in the then-current everything-and-the-kitchen-sink release model. If I'm honest I think they did right by the material and by the fans by putting them into a no-frills package that cost way less per disc than any of the deluxe BS sets, plus some of the rest of the material on that set is pretty awesome (I really love the alternate "As I Went Out One Morning"). And the Cash material is hardly unenjoyable.

2. JohnS

JohnS Senior Member

With good reason, perhaps, regarding a hefty 10LP box set.
    I remember when the Cutting Edge 18CD super deluxe was announced, posting here about my concerns about how the quality control would have to be absolutely top notch - what with the variety of the contents (books, CDs, vinyl singles) and weight of the package.
    As feared, hundreds of buyers found they received faulty contents, dented boxes, etc.
    What was interesting was how the defective box sets were corrected- replacement items mailed out, sometimes even entire box sets were sent. I got some of the CDs and an outer box to rectify my faulty order. It showed that far more than the advertised 5,000 copies had been produced.
    Fingers crossed there’s no need to request replacements this time round

Lewisboogie likes this.
  3. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Apologies if this has already been posted, but this Dickinson quote from the end of that Uncut interview is a fascinating take (and of course Dickinson himself is a producer):

“Bob definitely knows what he’s doing, beyond any question of a doubt. People who say that it’s all just off the cuff and improvised, they just don’t get it. I think it says something that, since Time Out Of Mind, he’s more or less chosen to produce himself. I’m not sure what it says, though. Production is for sure a part of the process that he doesn’t trust, but I personally think that self-production is a myth. There are many who have tried it. I don’t think he has really made a complete record since Time Out Of Mind, either. I mean, I have issues with the mix on Time Out Of Mind, but, other than that, that’s a *monster* of a record.

“I don’t mean to criticise Bob here, God knows, but I think self-production is a myth, and he’s denying himself the luxury of a relationship that can be good. He’s obviously had problems with producers, without doubt.”

4. NewWarden

NewWarden Forum Resident

I think in 2012 they were caught a little complacent by the copyrights coming due, and did the minimum to get by while making plans to avoid the same for the big stuff in 65-66, hence The Cutting Edge and Live 1966 getting out just before it all needed protected. In 2019, I assume the big release for the year was intended to just be Live 1975, but they realized there would be actual demand for Dylan + Cash so they released it at the end of the year as the smallest TBS set in years rather than a copyright collection. The next year they came to the same realization with Dylan + Harrison after doing the extension, but just called it “1970” rather than muddy the Bootleg Series branding.

In hindsight, TBS16 is really just “1969” with some John Wesley Harding sweeteners, and the best of both it and “1970” belonged on a 4- or 5-disc version of Another Self Portrait.

5. Themigou

Themigou Forum Resident

Interesting that no further JWH or NS outtakes have appeared… surely that can’t be it?

6. Based on that version of Love Sick, which sounds much better than the original to me, I might be in for the 2 CD set......... when the price comes down that is.

905 and JoeF. like this.
  7. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

They released a bunch more of the Nashville Skyline sessions on the actual "Copyright 1969" set, but no, there haven't been any other John Wesley Harding outtakes or alternates outside of BS16 and (if you really want to get picky) the last ten seconds of "I'll Be Your Baby Tonight" on the withdrawn 1997 Biograph reissue.

8. I saw the live 1966 tour for £50, used but in very good condition.

luckycountry likes this.
  9. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

Volume 5 - The Rolling Thunder Revue -- was sold by Amazon in November 2021, new, for $31 USD. This was for the 2019 vinyl pressing...

Lewisboogie and palisantrancho like this.
  10. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

Great price! I bought it in December of 2021 for $52 and thought it was a good deal. I feel the new 10 LP box is at least $50 overpriced.

Glenn coates likes this.
  11. kuddukan

kuddukan Forum Resident

Maybe Bob will surprise us all and autopen all these boxes.

Barnyard Symphony likes this.
  12. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I had mentioned the joy I get from obtaining actual autographs for nearly free.

Today, in a box of free records, I found a record signed by Bob Dylan's friend Liam Clancy with a dedication to another Greenwich Village folk legend.

The records were in the estate of a local folk music "star" who knew many of these people, and had been given the record by that Greenwich Village star.

Definitely not autopenned.

Bob on Liam

13. CataPineapple39

CataPineapple39 Active Member

See, I think a deluxe version would have been good for Travelin' Thru, but only if they had all the sessions avaliable. I listen to it mostly by phone, more just listening to the separate songs, and not really as an album like the other Bootleg Series volumes.
    A complete sessions of JWH + NS + JC in about 6 cds, with enough room to add all the extra songs they included from both TT and 1969? For me, that's a yes. Especially for making playlists and picking the favourite outtakes from the lot.

And that probably means a 2 CD version that's not as focused on the least inspiring part of the volume, especially since I never heard the JC sessions before, so for it to be advertised as the main feature of Travelin' Thru made it quite underwhelming.

But it is what it is, and I still enjoy it a lot.

Dark Horse 77 likes this.
  14. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Wait a second... It's the Ritchie Valens on lead guitar!? Didn't know they were in a band together.
    In fact, I don't know much of Bob's (very) early years. This is quite interesting.

15. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

By the way, I'd go for the 2-CD edition of this new Bootleg Series release. Not a hardcore Dylan fan (yet), just a 'normal' one. lol.
    And I think Time Out Of Mind is a marvelous album. So I'm really looking forward to that.

16. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

My belief is that it is one of Bob's local friends who billed himself as his hero, Ritchie Valens.

17. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Uh-oh, that might've misled the fans of 'real' Valens for that concert, I guess?^^

18. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

For those that say the new Love Sick is better than the album take, have you listened to the album version this week as well to compare? Is it a mix thing or the actual instrumentation or vocals? I'm genuinely curious as I wonder if some just haven't listened to TOOM in a while. I started to re-listen lately and am reminded how strong that album really is. Hardly a blemish anywhere, and I don't even mind Make You Feel My Love!

19. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I think when you go to see a band of high school kids play, you don't expect a star to sit in.

We had a kid in our school who billed himself as Elvis Pretzels, back when Elvis was #1.

20. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

Do people honestly not like Make You Feel?

Dayfold, 905, 2LegsPodcast and 2 others like this.
  21. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Worldwide, it has been immensely popular since its first appearance.

In the end, it may very well be the most frequently performed song that Dylan ever wrote.

It is popular because it is very good.

piepants, Jimmy Jam, mpayan and 6 others like this.
  22. matt79rome89

It's taken quite a few knocks here. For Bob, it's a little on the nose and simple but I think that's what makes it great. A lot of other artists have made a lot of money on it too.

piepants, Jimmy Jam, Lonson and 3 others like this.
  23. drift

drift Forum Resident

I think a lot of Dylan fans consider it out of place and reject it because it's more conventional. Even Adele sort of dismissed the writing once as being overly simple.

24. matt79rome89

To be clear, Bob's version is not popular. It is popular because other artists have covered it and made it a hit. It wasn't even a single release at the time (I don't think).

25. Perhaps it's the same folks who don't like "Every Grain of Sand" or any other number of his other ballads. No problem there because it's a matter of taste. So, yes, they are there. "Make You Feel My Love" has a lot going on inside of it. It's not for everyone. Frank sang it best.