The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. theMot

theMot Forum Resident

Yes to both.

2. As both devices have connection through to protective ground you could have a bona fide ground loop.
    Have you tried hooking the ground lug on the TT to the outer contact of the RCA output sockets?

3. theMot

theMot Forum Resident

No but what would that tell us either way?

4. Try it.
    It might stop the noise.

5. Duplo

Duplo Active Member

Hi all, I have a question and can't find the answer myself.
    I own a GR and want to fit a ZYX Ultimate 100 cartridge. Can somebody teach me the maths, so I can see if this is a good match or not? I don't really know how to determine if a certain arm is suitable for a certain cartridge + shell.

For info: the signal will be amplified via a Phasemation sut (1:20) and a MM phono-preamp (Leben), I think I'm good here.

6. Davey

Davey NP: Rosali ~ Bite Down (2024)

Not really any math to learn, the ZYX cartridges are medium compliance, so work well with just about any tonearm, including the Technics. If you really want to do the math, you would have to find out what the cartridge compliance is in the range of tonearm resonance, so around 10Hz, but Japanese manufacturers generally only list the 100Hz values, so not applicable. That number, along with the tonearm effective mass, and the mass of cartridge and screws, can then be plugged in a resonance calculator, like below ...

Resonance Frequency

patient_ot likes this.
  7. Duplo

Duplo Active Member

Thanks! That is helpfull.

8. haz2000

haz2000 Forum Resident

Does everyone use the Blue Jeans Cable LC-1 or are there any Audioquest 1200 people? Thanks!

9. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

Mogami 2497 here.

Joel S likes this.
  10. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Currently still using the supplied Technics RCA’s. Impressed with these actually .. I didn’t think I would be. FWIW. Using them going to my Parasound JC3 Jr. JC3 jr to Yamaha are the very nice AQ Black Mamba IIs. So they seem to work well together so far :)
    SL1200G with Denon DL301mkii
    :)

Dignan2000 and this_machine like this.
  11. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

I’ve used Blue Jeans LC-1 for years and like them just fine.

MikeJedi likes this.
  12. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I've used Belden 1505A for a long time. I did consider switching to BJC LC-1 for the phono cable, but it would only reduce my total capacitance by around 12pf for a 3 foot cable. Not enough to worry about.

MikeJedi, Big Blue and HiFi Guy like this.
  13. Duplo

Duplo Active Member

I use Audioquest Niagara 1200, with NRG Z3 cables. I am not a believer, but I made a good deal. For the turntable, it does not make any difference against the original cable. For my amplifier and CD-player, it does.

aorecords and Big Blue like this.
  14. haz2000

haz2000 Forum Resident

I like the audioquest Sydney on looks, but I got blue jeans based on performance. The capacitance is one of the lowest I've seen and the shielding is excellent.

HiFi Guy and Big Blue like this.
  15. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Belden Audio/Video (BAV) Products -- Iconoclast Cable

Tldr - iconoclast is the hardcore hi end section of blue jeans affiliated with Belden. The actual iconoclast stuff is too expensive for me, but the BAV line is the same construction and measurement numbers but cheaper and more flexible. I use the BAV rca for phono duties, same capacitance as the LC-1 but lower inductance numbers

Dignan2000 likes this.
  16. JP

JP Forum Resident

I'd love to see some actual data behind their assertions.

17. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

It’s there. There’s like a 25ish page doc from Belden with all of their data and testing

beowulf likes this.
  18. JP

JP Forum Resident

I've read it. No real data for any of the pertinent points that I recall.

Abe Man likes this.
  19. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

I mean if you really want to find out more you can email Galen at Belden and he will share with you anything you need answered. They’re definitely more forthcoming than virtually any other cable manufacturer when it comes to data and testing. Heck I’ve even heard he will call and talk to you lol. Again, not trying to divert this thread unnecessarily. They offer a 30 day guarantee no questions asked and like I said I went with the cheaper more reasonably priced BAV line so it’s not that big of a deal tbh

this_machine likes this.
  20. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

I think this is from the paper (?) referenced.

as far as @JP earlier question test lp 'off ch' signal. Assumption, estimation, deduction. Lol
    I brought home a lab bench VOM, uV resolution and measured cartridge output across a 100 Ohm R, close to spec after adjusting for V divider offset.

My amp meters show a 20 dB delta
    My sound app a ~ -6 to -7 dB at each side (75 dBA SPL reference).

So either the cartridge is way out of spec 18 vs 30 dB, which considering the at spec output and channel balance exceeds spec a real 'head scratcher' or there is a signal on the 'off' channel.

I'd like to get a real L/R test signal.
    Have you ever measured the AT33EV?

I can't find Zo or L for the LC-1
    http://www.iconoclastcable.com/story/rcaxlr.pdf

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2022
    recstar24 likes this.
  21. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

Has anyone had the chance to compare their Iconoclast with the BAV? I’m in need of a set of XLR and RCA cable with some flexibility.

22. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Galen himself told me the BAV is very close to iconoclast. When I told him my budget was limited and needed flexibility he did not hesitate to recommend me the BAV.

beowulf likes this.
  23. Abe Man

Abe Man "Wild Parsley"

Use a voltmeter set to the lowest AC voltage, and see if it measures anything between the ground of the turntable and the ground of the receiver.

24. JP

JP Forum Resident

I'd seen his responses to such inquiries and found them to be to be less than responsive. Not something I'm going to pursue - time is short for doing the things that matter let alone the things that don't.

25. Abe Man

Abe Man "Wild Parsley"

25 pages says it all. There are only three parameters. Resistance, capacitance, and inductance.

recstar24 likes this.