Bob Dylan: THE BOOTLEG SERIES VOL. 17: "Fragments - Time Out of Mind Sessions" [1/27/23]*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Jul 20, 2021.

1. Rimshottbob

Rimshottbob Forum Resident

Fair enough; but the juxtaposition between the darker meaning of the lyrics and more saccharine sound of the music is kind of the point, for me.

2. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

I get that. Having music that doesn't "fit" the lyrics is certainly nothing new and plenty examples of songs like that which I absolutely love

theMot and Rimshottbob like this.
  3. Rimshottbob

Rimshottbob Forum Resident

I may be defending a naked emperor, but the sloppy, Hallmark lyrics are kind of the point, too. When you're in that state, you're not a poet, you're not tossing out phrases to be carved on stone; you're stumbling around, resorting to platitudes, desperately fumbling for words and understanding. You just want to make that person feel how much you love them, because then they'll be sure to love you back.... your best friend knows that's never going to happen, but in the state you're in, you can't see that. I won't go on and on about it, but that's how I've always heard the song, and it's why I think it's very successful at what it sets out to do. :)

enro99 likes this.
  4. HuntingBare

HuntingBare Forum Resident

Sure, you or me may not be at our most eloquent when in that emotional state. But when the greatest songwriter of all time is writing a song on that theme, it is not unreasonable to expect a rather more composed and meaningful lyric.

TheAbsentMind likes this.
  5. skipper1967

skipper1967 Forum Resident

What I dont get about the postage from the US store is I can order 24 LP set from gratefuldead.com and postage is $US98 to Australia.

Anyway as others have said just order through EU store for £60.

6. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Somehow, I don't think you have heard every cover version.

905 and Rimshottbob like this.
  7. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I never much cared for it. But I could also skip Dirt Road Blues, Million Miles, Can't Wait, and even Til I Fell in Love with You and not miss them either.

TheAbsentMind and Richard--W like this.
  8. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

People should not really "expect" anything from any artist.

CataPineapple39 likes this.
  9. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

Nope. Hard as nails, me. I did weep when each of my dogs died, though.

stepeanut, Richard--W and DeeThomaz like this.
  10. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Not likely. Certainly not in my case. To my ears, "Every Grain of Sand" is Dylan's masterpiece, the greatest thing he's ever written. "To Make You Feel My Love" is pretty and obviously a lot of people relate to its sentiment. But it doesn't particularly ring my chimes. It's not a song I ever feel like I want to actually hear. And on an album full of pain of love songs, it does seem a little out of place.

TheAbsentMind and Fred1970 like this.
  11. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member Thread Starter

They sadly don’t really differentiate any of the TTS tracks in the tagging. At least we know the length of the new version is a couple minutes longer, verifying it’s not the same one we’ve already heard (though it’s not impossible the TTS version could be an edit from this longer take).

Themigou and Crush87 like this.
  12. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member Thread Starter

“Make You Feel Your Love” doesn’t do much for me but with the not so small fortune it’s put in Dylan’s bank account, I can’t imagine he has any regrets over its inclusion.

13. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

To people who, like me, do not feel Make You Feel My Love fits the album, what would you replace it with?

As much as I love Red River Shore, I also feel that song doesn't really fit TOOM either.

Dreaming of You would fit nicely instead I think

Themigou likes this.
  14. HuntingBare

I wouldn't replace it, I'd just delete it.

Agree that Red River Shore doesn't fit. It also isn't anywhere near as good a song as it was hyped as being. I'd put it on a par with maybe Love Sick or Can't Wait, but not close to being in the same league as Tryin' to Get to Heaven, Standing in the Doorway, Highlands, or Not Dark Yet.

luckycountry and Themigou like this.
  15. zombie dai

zombie dai people live in dreams, but not in their own

dylan certainly knows what he's doing for track lists

what's from the era? tell ol bill? mississippi, things have changed, others?

i don't think mississippi would fit, but the others and red shore would. make you feel my love is the kind of bland 'universal' song that litter the top 40 charts, which is why i don't listen to them

16. Themigou

Themigou Forum Resident

I can feel another alternate TOOM tracklist looming… :D

I think Dreaming of You is great but, like Marching to the City, it shares lines with songs that were included doesn’t it? That aside, those two are the only outtakes I’d add to the album, maybe in place of TMYFML and Till I Fell In Love With You. Mississippi belongs on L&T and Red River Shore is way overhyped IMO. I think I’d keep Make You Feel My Love rather than replace it with that.

17. EndorphinMachine

EndorphinMachine Forum Resident

The song has waken me up from hibernation on two different occasions, both times I was in suspended animation during church services for weddings of people under 30 y/o.
    Both times the cover version though, and I'm 100% sure bride and groom have no clue who wrote and sang the original.

KCWhistle likes this.
  18. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I think "Make You Feel My Love" is a fantastic song of love and desperation. It belongs right where it it.

19. Kevin Davis

Kevin Davis EQUIPMENT PROFILE INCOMPLETE

I like "Make You Feel My Love" but think it comes across better live, with the full backing band. The piano arrangement does feel a bit leaden, and out of place on Time Out of Mind -- not so much so as to ruin the flow of the album, but enough to stand out.

CataPineapple39, drift and KCWhistle like this.
  20. Kevin Davis

Kevin Davis EQUIPMENT PROFILE INCOMPLETE

I was actually asked to play guitar on this song at a wedding once, behind a singer who was a friend of the couple. The specific request was, "Can you learn 'Make You Feel My Love' by Adele?"

Themigou, drift and KCWhistle like this.
  21. HuntingBare

I struggle to understand how any Dylan fan could possibly like that song, never mind think it ‘fantastic’. It’s horrible, a total cringe fest.

22. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Well bully for you. I probably think a song or two you love is a cringe fest. We're all different.

23. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Five slams on Dylan in one very brief post.

j4yheindeo likes this.
  24. TimeandTempo

TimeandTempo Forum Resident

I received four green Bob Dylan panchos in the mail today. They say “thank you for your business” and “pancho (free gift).”

insert rain lyric

Wayfaring Stranger likes this.
  25. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I struggle to understand how any self-proclaimed fan of Dylan can post countless extremely negative comments about Dylan.