In June 1969, Should Led Zeppelin Have Asked Brian Jones to Join The Group?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by S. P. Honeybunch, Nov 20, 2022.

1. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney Thread Starter

It's all about chemistry. With the right bunch of fellas, Brian could have been the showman he was in the Stones' early years.

Chris Schoen likes this.
  2. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

Jimmy Page — “Hold my beer,

And my syringe”

Diamond Dog and Knox Harrington like this.
  3. CrawdaddySim1

CrawdaddySim1 Forum Resident

The only mystery to me is why the Stones didn’t fire Brian sooner. He had already been a liability for at least two years by summer ‘69. Nasty little man, from everything I’ve read. As much ink has been spilled about Mick and Keith hazing Brian, on the contrary, I think they indulged him for far too long. Need a dulcimer or mandolin for a studio track? Bring in a guest player - problem solved.

4. 80steen

80steen John McClane

No because Jones was a mess so he would have hindered them

Stillin Rockville likes this.
  5. audiotom

Was there a prominant band that would have worked with Brian Jones?

The Kinks?
    They already have their own turmoil

6. audiotom

More likely a

Communication breakdown

7. My point is that he didn't have the choice - he wasn't offered the job. So, there was no choice to make.

ARK and swordsandtequila like this.
  8. TDSOTM

TDSOTM Forum Resident

Zeppelin had three of the finest rock instrumentalists in the world and one of the finest rock singers in the world. And one of those instrumentalists was also a multi-instrumentalist. What exactly did Brian Jones have to offer Zeppelin?

swordsandtequila likes this.
  9. S. P. Honeybunch

Slide guitar
    Sitar
    Organ
    Marimba
    Recorder
    Saxophone
    Kazoo
    Dulcimer
    Mellotron
    Autoharp
    Oboe
    Whistling
    Vocals
    Rhythm guitar
    Etc.

10. CrawdaddySim1

If there’s one thing I’m thinking while cranking any Zep track, it’s “this could use some oboe.”

dennis the menace, Sean, ARK and 6 others like this.
  11. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

“Kazoo”?
    “Whistling”?
    “Vocals”?
    Sure you’re cluthing at straws now.
    All 3 elements can be done by a 3-year old.
    It’s not something unique just because Brian Jones could dabble around with a kazoo.

Anyway, Page was a million times better a bottleneck-player than Jones.

A dulcimer and an autoharp sounds like very exotic instruments. The Jones-cult tend to think he was some kind of visionary because he could play ‘all’ those instruments. The fact is that they are extremely simple instruments to play.
    Easier than an acoustic guitar.
    But most of the Jones-fantatics are probably so blinded by the Jones-persona that they blindly believe he was a technical wonder.

However, within the world of The Stones, his parts were perfect. And very well done.

Other than that, which Zeppelin songs would get a benefit from an oboe?

a customer and Zack like this.
  12. Wild Horse

Wild Horse Forum Resident

No. Zeppelin was perfect as is.

He might have worked out in Fleetwood Mac, though. Pre- Stevie/Lindsey, of course.

13. CrawdaddySim1

Sure - another casualty within a galaxy of them.

14. Evenflow82!

Evenflow82! Forum Resident

He could have replaced Peter James Bond as Spinal Tap's new drummer in 1969.

Rick Shoup likes this.
  15. S. P. Honeybunch

Again, a musician doesn't need to be a "technical wonder" to make a profound contribution. All he needs to do is play music that suits the song. That's what Brian Jones knows how to do: play a wide variety of instruments to suit a wide variety of songs. With the Stones, he already demonstrated proficiency on many instruments that he used on a wide variety of songs. Brian Jones would add a huge amount of versatility to a band like Led Zeppelin, given that one person can play so many instruments with such impeccable taste.

16. MHP

As I said earlier, he would have fell through in Zeppelin. Their arrangements were far more complexed than anything The Stones did. And I’m a way bigger Stones fan, but Zep was on another level.

swordsandtequila likes this.
  17. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

In Spring 1974 just as Rush had Neil Peart Joining should Rush have challenged Patrick Moraz's decision to join Yes? Just think....or maybe don't bother .

18. paul62

paul62 Forum Resident

Instead of joining Jimmy Page in Led Zeppelin, Brian Jones would have been better off joining some other ex-Yardbirds - Keith Relf and Jim McCarty - in their post-Yardbirds musical (ad)ventures.

notesfrom likes this.
  19. Benjamin Edge

Benjamin Edge Forum Resident

Brian Jones was nearly broke, and therefore, I am not sure what he'd do between his exit from the Stones and his unfortunate death nearly a month later.

Since he was always begging for extra money in the years he had been with the Stones -- then I wonder if he might have followed Dee Anthony's success motto, that went:
    ~Ben

20. S. P. Honeybunch

There is no reason that Brian couldn't have played a variety of instruments across the entire Zeppelin repertoire. Nothing there that he couldn't handle. Plus, he could have co-written new songs and inspired Zeppelin to tackle other types of material, given his availability on multiple instruments. The sky would have been the limit by adding Brian to the band.

21. Stillin Rockville

Stillin Rockville "it's not the band, it's the fans"

makes a guy wonder why the Beach Boys didn't snap up Jones when he became available

22. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Ya, the wrong "chemistry" is what made him a fail. Others "fellas" could not help him...

23. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

The guy was a slob, Page would not have put up with that, if you know anything about Page. Your premise for this Thread
    does not seem to consider what kind of work "ethic" was required to be in Zeppelin.

MHP likes this.
  24. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

They should have brought in Roy Orbison, take the wind out of Dylan and Harrisons future sails.

25. MHP

Take a wide ride here.
    Why not speculate on the hypothetical inclusion of Mike Love while we’re at it?
    He could have bought both a nasal voice and a combover to the band to great effect.