Neil Young & Crazy Horse - WORLD RECORD new, Rick Rubin-produced album 2022*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Sep 2, 2022.

1. ThereOnceWasANote

ThereOnceWasANote Forum Resident

I think Chevrolet may be one of Neil's best ever. It's like the culmination of his Crazy Horse work. The exclamation point.

2. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

I have to listen to it a few more times to get to that place, but I’m inclined to agree early on.

I had it blasting in my excellent car system today and there were sections where the sound just overwhelmed me. Like “holy ****, this is amazing.” Like I was in the room.

3. highway

highway Forum Resident

interesting. A Letter Home also had multiple formats

JoeRockhead and Stone Turntable like this.
  4. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Yeah, Chevrolet is a classic NYCH track. Not many 14 minute tracks I can listen to multiple times in a row.

5. andyediewatt

andyediewatt Forum Resident

They Might Be Lost
    Help Me Lose My Mind
    Heading West
    Milky Way
    This Old Planet
    Olden Days
    Break The Chain
    Welcome Back
    Chevrolet
    I Do
    This Old Planet Reprise

Mine would be something like this.

6. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

Does Chevrolet live up to the hype? And how about World Record as a whole?

There are opinions... and then there are the rantings of madmen who think Cortez The Killer is massively overrated but Homegrown is a "top 5" Neil Young song.

Meanwhile, that bagpipe-playing, kilt-wearing, certifiably dangerous lunatic the Flying Scotzman has thrown caution to the wind and hijacked Neil's imaginary new Chevrolet.

(Don't worry, we're not exactly talking Grand Theft Auto VI, here. I'm currently sipping a glass of mango juice and thinking about eating a falafel wrap.)

Some will call the police, others will say "what the heck" and jump in the car alongside him.

The journey begins here:

Neil Young News: REVIEW: Finding the Way into Neil Young's "World Record"

Last edited: Nov 22, 2022
  7. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I’ve already shifted my track order and dropped a couple of tracks as it didn’t flow well. (Dropped ‘Love Earth’ and ‘This Old Planet.’) I’ll insert ‘Reprise’ at the end like you (and World Record) as I know it works well after ‘Chevrolet.’ That’ll put the The Latest Three running time at 47 minutes (still seven minutes above the target…but what the hell!).

Rockford & Roll and andyediewatt like this.
  8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner

Just received my CD copy today. Seems better quality cardboard than Barn had. And sleeves for the CD's themselves too.
    Looking out to playing it.

Rockford & Roll likes this.
  9. INSW

INSW Senior Member

Nah, Love And Only Love, maybe. Chevrolet is okay but bottom tier on the obligatory jam ladder.

10. Alright4now

Alright4now Forum Resident

Chevrolet rules cuz:

1. Neil does a lot of that weird bubbly guitar solo stuff that he did in Cortez the Killer. Not exactly like Cortez, but pretty close. Which is better than just aping Cortez.
    2. The main lick is played really wobbly. There's an off-kilter push/pull going on there. Is he soloing? Is he just getting weird with the main lick? Who knows! Who cares!
    3. You've got at ton of weird falsetto main vocals and gang vocals. That's where the Horse really shines (see Ragged Glory).
    4. Good songwriting! Theres a nice little pre-chorus ("crowded highway" bit") and a bridge that he throws in there a couple a times that brings up the emotion. This is not a "lazy" throw it out there kinda song. Clearly Neil put some thought into this one.

Pretty much all I want in a Neil Young & Crazy Horse song. Its all one song, indeed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dradge, omikron, Tom Daniels and 14 others like this.
  11. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

For the love of god, man, don’t link to that psycho’s site.

TheBabbo and onlycastlesburning like this.
  12. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

Interesting. I can't do a playlist because it would be 80 percent songs from World Record. "Song of the Seasons" is by far my favorite on Barn, and from Colorado I would choose "Green Is Blue".

Rockford & Roll and Zeki like this.
  13. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

It's no 40 minute playlist but here are my favorites from each album:

Colorado
    Think Of Me
    Olden Days
    Green Is Blue

Barn
    Heading West
    Shape Of You
    They Might Be Lost
    Tumblin' Through The Years

World Record
    I Walk With You
    This Old Planet (Changing Ways)
    Walk On The Road
    The Wonder Won't Wait
    Chevrolet

14. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

My “real” playlist would be different because then I’d just throw all my favorites onto it. I was trying to come up with an “album” (of reasonable length).

15. FrankieFontaine

FrankieFontaine "Just An Hippie Dream"

"I Walk With You" needs a second chorus and second guitar solo or pipe organ solo! Perhaps they edited it down to fit on vinyl.

Rockford & Roll likes this.
  16. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I will say World Record is the most accessible of the latest trio of Crazy Horse albums. I like all the songs…and am liking ‘Break The Chain’ more than I did initially. I think the placement, right after ‘The World Is In Trouble Now,’ helps.

Also, am becoming a bigger fan of ‘Chevrolet.’

Don’t know which I’d rank higher, ‘Barn’ or ‘World Record’. Too soon to say.

17. palisantrancho

I have given more time to Barn and Colorado the last couple days. I think World Record is miles better than either. Barn is super cheap right now on vinyl, but I don’t think I would ever listen to it. I only like a couple songs. I like every song on World Record, which hasn’t happened on a Neil Young record in a long time!

18. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

:D Miles better?! Barn still has the top song of the three, ‘They Might Be Lost,’ a cousin to the perfect side 1 of Rust Never Sleeps.

But I’m glad to see your excitement over WR.

19. palisantrancho

Maybe I am being too hard on Barn and Colorado, but these were my thoughts last night after listening to all three albums. I haven't been compelled to buy a physical copy of one of his albums in 20 years, so I am excited that I do love the new one! "They Might Be Lost" is one of the songs I do like, but I definitely don't think it's the best song on the three albums. It is possible that Barn will grow on me. You are now making a case that I should pick it up on vinyl for $12! Neil Young fans disagree on so many albums and songs. That usually mean there is something for everybody! This new album has renewed my interest again, and now I will probably want to buy every album from the last twenty years! Tonight, I will listen to Toast. I haven't heard it yet.

As of today, my top songs on Barn:
    Song of the Seasons
    Heading West
    They Might Be Lost
    Tumblin' Through the Years

20. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

It’s worth it for the cover art. :D

21. RoyalPineapple

Total madness to write a "best of the three" list that doesn't include "I Do".

And @andyediewatt, your list is dynamite — but Green Is Blue needs to sneak in there, á la @tug_of_war and @Zeki ... (Well, I think it does!).

PS

Is World Record the "best" of the three? It certainly has the (unfair?) advantage of being the freshest of the three.

But listen to the "I've never sounded more depressed or—to be honest—deranged:evil:" tone-of-voice with which Neil sings "Nothin' bothers me because I'm so happy" on Help Me Lose My Mind....

....then listen to him shredding his vocal cords (and our ears) at 1:56 on the same track...

....and we can see why Colorado is never going to win the popularity vote. We can also see why the very qualities that mean it's not going to win the popularity vote are part of its intermittently beautiful, intermittently warped appeal.

(Right?).

22. onlycastlesburning

onlycastlesburning it’s all one song

World Record making of doc is now on NYA. Haven't watched yet. Prepare yourself for pixelization. :)

edit: i already love this doc. Neil's tub kicking is worth all the flip phone pixels in the world.

23. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I was wondering earlier if a documentary was coming. Looking forward to watching this.

Really enjoying the album so far. Find myself keep wanting to play it over and over.

I’m not being blown away by Chevrolet. In the pantheon of Crazy Horse greats I don’t think it’s up there. (Much better than She Showed Me Love though).

Rockford & Roll and Zeki like this.
  24. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Re: Chevrolet. This is another one that I think is helped by the album flow. I like it within the album. As a stand-alone, I’m with you. I can’t seem to recall it after the album ends.

Rockford & Roll and dtuck90 like this.
  25. RoyalPineapple

Chevrolet depends on us being car geeks turned environmentalists — or getting into the mindset of car geeks turned environmentalists.

That battle between pleasure and guilt… with nostalgia bridging the gap. The song is literally a car journey and metaphorically a journey through Neil’s mind (and our minds, too.)

The bottom line for me is that the song gives us enough fuel to run with. Which is what I think some of the other songs on World Record don’t do. They’re more like meditations… and meditation is for the benefit of the practitioner.

Me too!

bonus and Rockford & Roll like this.