The Beatles - Revolver - 2022 Remix

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Deacon Blues, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

I love the versions that Mirror Spock did on 'Mixing Impossible'
    :hide:

tezca and Lewisboogie like this.
  2. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Was that ever released digitally (meaning iTunes)? I have the vinyl set; a CD version would be nice.

3. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

It wasn’t. I would have bought a cd or digital download version. But now i ofcourse regret not getting it. I could always have vinyldropped it.

Past Masters and DK Pete like this.
  4. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

After listening to this remix for a better part of this month, I have to say that I LUV IT!

It's enlightening to hear the progress of the band, and now the clarity to hear it. The vocal harmonies, are that much more fascinating. I can imagine George Martin helping them out on the keyboard to separate where the voices would lay once blended, and with their complimentary timbre, just make the songs that much more breathtaking.

The instrumentation, what can I write that hasn't been mentioned. There are some amazing bass moments that I can now hear, that on the original mixes were just there buried together. It was a pleasant hum, but now the frequencies can really be heard.

And this being a week of thankfulness, I'm extremely thankful that my favorite Beatles LP is presented in this manner and also for a new generation to hear.
    The songs are always there and great.

Please bring on "Rubber Soul" before my hearing goes...or I go.

5. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

For me, this box is a success still. No buyers remorse at all.

6. BejittoSSJ5

BejittoSSJ5 Forum Resident

I got the single vinyl from Walmart on its recent 15$ sale, presumably the one pressed by GZ Media. It's very nice! Besides a really strange error on the inner sleeve (The protective plastic wasn't glued or something onto the paper layer??) it's great. I like the slightly wider style of the sleeve, great printing quality.
    '
    Despite the reports of noisy pressings, IGD and other issues mine is great. Clean right out of the packaging, with no distortion or noise. Very quiet, and the sound is very bold and warm. It reminds me of the early British issues and the mono mix. This one has certainly dethroned the original stereo mix, which is limpid and uninvolving to me.

Great job Giles!

riknbkr330, Curiosity and Duophonic like this.
  7. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Agreed. Recordings of the last 30 odd years usually sound terrible.

DK Pete likes this.
  8. tubesandvinyl

Agree that the new mix dethrones the original stereo.

9. tubesandvinyl

Agreed. Naked is horrible. Don’t know why anyone would pay more than five bucks for that record.

Dan The Man1, DK Pete and mpayan like this.
  10. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

:whistle:

11. tubesandvinyl

Enjoy the original mix. It’s a beautiful time stamp of 1966.

12. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I thought they already were out of print.

13. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

My favorite album is The White Album…but of all the Beatle box sets to date, this one continues to be played more than any of them when they were first released. It’s amazing to hear the atmospheric differences during the outtakes from one album to the next. On Revolver they are fully “The Beatles” at their peak. Possibly this, more than the songs themselves, is what makes this set so special.

14. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

I have the Xmas covered with the Vigotone set + the iTunes download for one year (1963?).
    I haven’t broken open the Xmas single set I bought. Can’t play/needle drop right now.

Kim Olesen and DK Pete like this.
  15. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

I am struck by how much better it sounds on this set. I dare say I hear *some of what Lewisohn heard.

16. Schmevil

Schmevil Average Beatles Enjoyer

I don't know if this was done yet on these 1154 pages so... I just converted 2022 Taxman to mid-side and made the stereo channel wider putting the guitar and drums to the far left and right. I didn't hear artifacts before but now I hear the guitar artifacts within the mix. I remember reading some people reporting a "wash of sound" when Ringo smashed the cymbals when the remix was first published and now I can kind of hear what they are talking about. Oh, and the side signal by itself is extremely revealing!

DK Pete likes this.
  17. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

I have a needle drop of the vinyl that sounds a lot better than the original CD.

MattyRedSox, Schmevil and DK Pete like this.
  18. I'm not. I'm fine with Help, but have no use for Rubber Soul.

19. Schmevil

Schmevil Average Beatles Enjoyer

That would be great. Anything to get the spotlight off of those awful 1987 mixes.

Seriously though, while Rubber Soul is going to be the star of the show in that boxset, I'm kind of more excited too see what Help! would sound like, as it might give us a glimpse into what we can expect to hear when we get to AHDN and the two track albums. I've already made my own mixes of From Me To You and Thank You Girl using bootlegs of the session tapes, then trying to reconstruct the finished edited takes, then running the left and right channel through demucs. For things like the harmonica the best I could do was to frankenstein the demixed harmonica (and the "Dadada dadadun dun da") from the finished track onto the unfinished ones. If Giles does the first two albums I hope he can find the twin-track first generation tapes for each used take and then demix anything that was overdubbed onto the 2nd or 3rd generation tapes, and sync them up with the original tapes (Which I am sure he can do; he had to sync all the tapes for each song for the Pepper remix.)

Abe Man and DK Pete like this.
  20. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I’d imagine he’s already working on the Help!/RS twofer. If that formula is successful other early Beatles albums may get same treatment.

Abe Man likes this.
  21. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Prefer Motown myself. :)

ODIrony likes this.
  22. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

Both are pressed by GZ...is yours the Czech or the Canadian pressing? It will say Made In The EU on the actual record label if it is the Czech pressing.

DK Pete likes this.
  23. Yosi

Yosi Senior Member

How can I hear or see a spectrogram of the 50Hz and 61Hz hum from the amp?
    I checked a spectrogram with Audacity but could not recognize the said frequency.

thrivingonariff likes this.
  24. The 2014 mono is the vinyl of the 2009, which was done by Sean Magee as well as the new 2022 mono. This is a decade old, but still alright... he says a few key things. Remastering The Beatles | The Line of Best Fit

ODIrony likes this.
  25. dryjoy

dryjoy Brother In Sound

I listen to the actual albums in order as released, but I do have a playlist of just the outtakes from each set, which I love to listen to on random shuffle. Sometimes I do listen to the outtakes in released order for whichever album when I really want to be immersed in the ‘story’ of the making of that album, but sometimes I really enjoy the surprise of the shuffle.

Past Masters and DK Pete like this.