Bob Dylan: THE BOOTLEG SERIES VOL. 17: "Fragments - Time Out of Mind Sessions" [1/27/23]*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Jul 20, 2021.

1. Did I say there wasn't?

No, they speak to you as a listener, you're describing your subjective response, not mine.

You haven't really acknowledged or responded to my points, you just want to hammer on about what a great Dylan singer is without any objective thoughts. So you carry on mate, no need for us to continue this conversation.

2. zombie dai

zombie dai people live in dreams, but not in their own

StingRay5 likes this.
  3. false_serenity

false_serenity Forum Resident

Sorry where can I see the track lengths? How long is Highlands?

4. rednax

rednax Forum Resident

DISC 1 Remix - 16:31

DISC 3 Outtake - 14:06

DISC 4 Live - 10:10

TheAbsentMind and false_serenity like this.
  5. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

See the pyramids along the Nile
    Watch the sun rise on a tropic isle
    Just remember, darling, all the while
    You belong to me

6. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

Make You Feel My Love was included because Billy Joel had already recorded a version scheduled for release right around, maybe before, Toom came out.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  7. JeffreyB

JeffreyB Senior Member

The CD set dropped to $103.99 on Amazon US this morning.

MerseyBeatle, Davmoco and George P like this.
  8. bobfan

bobfan Forum Resident

‘Make You Feel My Love’ stands out on TOOM melodically and lyrically, but it’s of a piece with songs like ‘I’ll Remember You’ or ‘Emotionally Yours’. I can imagine Dylan was pleased with the chord structure, which is quite unusual for him. The lyrics are open to interpretation, as always. I like the song more now, than I did then, especially the organ playing, which is reminiscent of The Band circa Big Pink. Of course Dylan’s vocals jar, but though his voice may have sounded parched in ‘97, it was nothing to what came later. Now, they sound positively supple. There’s better songs left off the album, although I think ‘Red River Shore’ is overrated. ‘Mississippi’ is fantastic, but does it fit the album, overall? Probably not. I don’t really understand the popularity of ‘Make You Feel My Love’ but it is clearly a popular choice for singers. Of all the songs to become a standard. It’s a funny old world…

9. IbMePdErRoIoAmL

IbMePdErRoIoAmL lazy drunken hillbilly with a heart full of hate

I dunno about that. The bulk of the chord sequence, a chromatic descension from the I to the iv, is identical to both "Simple Twist Of Fate" & "You Changed My Life."

Themigou likes this.
  10. Kevin Davis

Kevin Davis EQUIPMENT PROFILE INCOMPLETE

I feel like the entire crux of an unrequited love song is precisely that, though -- the singer knows there is a discrepancy between what he/she wants and what the object of his/her affection wants, but despite knowing this, the feelings continue to be what they are. In this space, a person's brain follows all kinds of wayward thought processes, the one detailed in the song certainly being among the more reasonable: "If I could only make her see, make her truly understand, how deep my feelings for her are, things could be different." I don't think this is inherently sinister, and I think the world is full of happy couples where one party persisted beyond an initial rejection in order to demonstrate commitment. Certainly there is a point at which this can and does turn inappropriate, creepy, and dangerous, but I think it's an overly sensitive misread of the song to assume an intention of force on the part of the singer in this case. The lyric "I know you haven't made your mind up yet" does display a sense of respect for the person's agency in the situation, and the surrounding context basically just says -- desperately, perhaps, or hopelessly, or some might even say cluelessly -- that he wants his actions to speak so loudly that the depth of his feelings are unmistakeable. The specific phrase "make you feel my love" is kind of clunky and unpoetic (and a little awkward), but I think there's enough else in the song to save it from being anything worse.

11. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I find TOOM to be perfect. I love all of the songs and they are placed on the album in the right spot to make it a cohesive listen. I actually laid in bed last night with the lights off and listened to the entire thing with headphones. I still can't wait to hear the remix.

12. bobfan

bobfan Forum Resident

I’ll bow to your musical knowledge, but it doesn’t really sound like either of those songs, and there’s not many songs in the canon it does sound like. Three chord blues tunes, however…’Make You Feel My Love’ sounds like a pop song suited to singers like Adele, which explains its popularity amongst non-Bob fans, and its derisory status amongst a lot of Dylan fans.

13. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Please can we quit the pointless arguments regarding ‘Make You Feel My Love’.

You either like it or you dont. End Of!!!!!

14. HuntingBare

HuntingBare Forum Resident

If I may, I'd like to draw our attention back to the TOOM set, and the one track we have do far, the alt (Take 2) of Love Sick. I'm very interested in hearing what others here think. For me, I prefer the sound of this version, its relative lack of Lanois soupiness and vocal distortion. I like being able to hear individual instruments. I enjoy the different vocal inflections, of a song we are all so familiar with. I have to admit, I think Bob was right to ditch the extra verse - "struggling for perfection" - but I don't hate it and it's fascinating to hear. Overall, I think this take, particularly if they'd cut the 'perfection' verse, could have been as worthy an album opener as the released take.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2022
  15. Themigou

Themigou Forum Resident

‘Struggling for perfection’ is my favourite part of the song now.

Floater likes this.
  16. HuntingBare

HuntingBare Forum Resident

Fair enough. What do you think of the mix?

Themigou likes this.
  17. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

I've only heard it on the PC, while reading things online so I'm picking up impressions rather than details. Particularly the opening verse strikes me as strangely intimate. This may be due to the mixing, but Bob's vocal sounds very personal, like he's recording a demo alone - for himself. Not sure I've ever heard him this way before. He literally sounds love sick.

18. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

The first time I heard Love Sick was the performance at the Grammys. It seemed really downbeat by Dylan standards. At this point in time, I hadn't heard any Dylan later than Shot of Love, Travelling Wilburys and a couple of Oh Mercy tracks. This seemed very dark in comparison. WhenI got the album some time later, the distorted sound was unsettling, a long way off what I recalled from the Grammys, but time has got me accustomed to it as the 'proper' version.

But I really like this new, clean version. Will it become my favourite? Only time will tell. His voice sounds good against the sparse arrangement, more similar to the Rough and Rowdy Ways arrangements, but obviously his 1997 voice is much stronger. It's definitely a keeper.

Nosferatuz likes this.
  19. George P

George P Notable Member

I am not so old that the first four words didn't get me excited.

TheAbsentMind and JeffreyB like this.
  20. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

YES!
    Placed my order at the high price last week, counting on this.
    Checked my order this am and the price has been corrected.

JeffreyB likes this.
  21. Themigou

Themigou Forum Resident

I prefer it to the album. It reminded me a little of the fantastic outtake of Going Going Gone, which is a very good thing:

I have a feeling it might be a case of enjoying both mixes for different reasons, as I prefer the ‘live in the room’ feel of this take, but there is something very intentional and effective about the sound of the album as released. It’s nowhere near as likable as Oh Mercy though, which is one of my favourite produced albums.

22. JeffreyB

JeffreyB Senior Member

LOL
    :D

George P likes this.
  23. Themigou

Themigou Forum Resident

I think his R&RW voice is stronger to be honest.

24. Yep I like it too, and I don't have a great deal of time for the original. Much more effective in this incarnation. I know we're going over old ground but I thought it was Bob, as much as Lanois, who was responsible for the soupy sound of the original album?

enro99 likes this.
  25. Where did the guitar go in the middle? Anyway, breathtaking version, never heard that. Always liked that song, surely a kiss off to his marriage before he did a whole album's worth of kiss offs with BOTT? Before he did a u-turn 'can we get back together' song at the end of Desire.

Themigou likes this.