THE Rega appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Noel Patterson, Nov 24, 2020.

1. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

I had a pair of RX3s for a number of years and found them very easy to place.

Ivand and espendo like this.
  2. Kristofferabild

Kristofferabild Forum Resident

Yes!

But I also have a Bluesound Node 2i and an Oppo UHD BD 203 and a Rega Dac R. :laugh:

shug4476 and espendo like this.
  3. ClawHammer

ClawHammer Well-Known Member

I’m new to vinyl and hi-fi. Loving the Rega!

Edit: there should be an image with this post but I’m unable to post images due to using the world’s most unintuitive app… Flickr. Anybody recommend an iPhone/iPad app for sharing images to a forum that actually works and is free?
    [​IMG]

GordonM, Mark Shred and espendo like this.
  4. GordonM

GordonM Forum Resident

Unfortunately I can’t see your image to admire your system! I use Imgur because that was suggested to me. It works although it’s a bit fiddly.

ClawHammer and Mark Shred like this.
  5. espendo

espendo Forum Resident

I also used Imgur and thought that worked pretty well.

ClawHammer likes this.
  6. espendo

espendo Forum Resident

Love these Rega speakers! Unfortunately the importer in Norway say that the market is saturated with speakers and Rega speakers don't sell. For some strange reason. Good thing, then, that Rega keep a supply of parts. The local store that sold the my R5's initially (twelve years ago) have said they can fix elements and so on if I need that.

7. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

Because they no longer make them and maybe they finally were too expensive.

Rega went to other material cabinets than wood and released the new Kyte speakers which is a bookshelf size with great sound, part of the System One too.
    Rumors are they are working on a larger "Ela" speaker in the new cabinet material.

8. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Rega always takes a unique approach, they refuse to be mainstream. Their speakers were always about satisfying your music sensibilities rather than your physical or aesthetic ones.

espendo and Mr. Dean like this.
  9. ucfjon

ucfjon Forum Resident

Bill wasn't kidding, the Io is really silent with the Forte's. If I turn it wayyyyyy up with my TT on but not playing a record (well beyond a level I could actually listen to music at), I can hear some hiss if I put my ear by the speaker - but again, no real-world application there. A great sounding combo overall, with plenty of power. Everything just sounds...nice. I can't say anything specific sticks out, which I actually think is a good thing.

I have a new Grado Green on the way, hopefully it's a good match as well.

10. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

Real nice!! I have a pr of RX5 and love them!! If you have not tried it yet, pull those R5s away from the wall about 155mm and the bass will become more intense......I am lucky to have mine well away from the back wall for a very open sound.

espendo likes this.
  11. espendo

espendo Forum Resident

Cheers!

I have pulled them out one time when the family was out and it did sound very nice! Still, they do also sound absolutely good enough where they're sat now. When I have more space, they will get more space :)

Catcher10 likes this.
  12. GordonM

GordonM Forum Resident

I’ve just noticed the price of Rega Brio amp has dropped to £549 in the UK. I think it dropped at near the beginning of November. I’m not sure whether we can we read anything into the price drop with how Rega do things.

13. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

Rega had a few 20% price drops recently

GordonM likes this.
  14. shug4476

shug4476 Nullius In Verba

The previous Brio-R was introduced at, I think, £375 and I always thought the Brio was a bit of an excessive markup at £600. I think it recently went even higher than that, to around £700, which is heavily overpriced and is roughly what the Elex-R retailed at upon introduction.

I am not beating up on Rega, the Brio really is a wonderful amp. There seems to be a wider problem of pricing in UK hifi driven, in my view, by the cartel arrangements that plague the industry.

GordonM likes this.
  15. goldwax

goldwax Rega | Cambridge | Denafrips | Luxman | Dynaudio

They mean the piece of vinyl used to house the records.

16. mjcmt

mjcmt Forum Resident

I thought I'd chime in again. I still have the Rega Mira3 integrated amp and still love it. I has alway run hot no matter the speaker I've used, so I think it must be biased toward class A for the first few watts.
    It must have a linear volume control because volume increases evenly so running it in the 12-3 o'clock position is normal, not the usual 9-1 o'clock position like most amps. This also gives you a lot of latitude adjusting volume for quiet late night listening,
    It drives 4 ohm speakers quite well and has no problem driving my 4 ohm 87db Seas Froy Mk3 speaker kit from Madisound in a large room. It really made my efficient Klipsch Forte speakers really sing too. I reluctantly sold them because our townhome is small.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2022
  17. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

I have a Planar 3 and Musical Fidelity M2si but have been wanted to upgrade to the Elex-R at some point. It would seem they are closing out the Elex-R to make way for the new version. Everything I've read about this amp suggests it would be an improvement but now I am getting cold feet. The MF has "balls" but no refinement. Can anyone chime in who have heard MF amps and the Elex-R.

18. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

The Elex R has had a long tenure and is revered for it's sound quality. If you procured a close out it would probably be a good deal but the new one has kept the best of the old as in the pre and power amp section, added a DAC based on the DAC R and added a headphone output.

Dr. J. likes this.
  19. kiddo4

kiddo4 Forum Resident

The internal DAC is a real bummer. I don't think it belongs in a quality product like the Elex. The headphone amp is a nice bonus, but the DAC downgrades the product.

20. How? If one doesn’t use it and it doesn’t get in the way of the sound quality when using the other inputs, how could something added possibly downgrade the product?

21. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

No bummer IMO, I'd never use the headphone output but DAC is excellent for a TV setup, many use streaming which I assume its useful.
    Would love to have my old Supernait against new Elicit or Elex.

22. Kristofferabild

Kristofferabild Forum Resident

I do wish Rega had included a HDMI earc port though since it can deliver better sound quality from a tv than optical. Optical out only allows Dolby Digital downmixed to PCM stereo whereas earc supports Dolby Digital plus downmixed to PCM stereo.

23. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

USB came out in 1997 rega are still working on one , then HDMI

MC Rag likes this.
  24. Noel Patterson

Noel Patterson Music Junkie Thread Starter

Not at all, if you don't want to use the DAC don't. But if it sounds like the dac-r did or better, it's a welcome addition I'd say.

25. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

They just announced the new Elex MK4 yesterday for anyone that might be looking at that point.

Noel Patterson and Ivand like this.